Crowell's extension

Tortured Soul

Doesn't seem that unreasonable, but it'll be interesting to see how large the bonus was for cap purposes.

2004 LB Salaries

545665[/snapback]

Good link, but with that salary that puts Crowell in the top 30 salary wise as far as LBers go. Even or ahead of Suggs, Diggs, Bullock, Porter, Morgan. Sorry but Crowell by any stretch, and his being inactive early is not "starting quality" on a good football. He certainly is not top 30 in the NFL, and probably not top 100 lb in the NFL.

This is a bad deal for the Bills.

Good link, but with that salary that puts Crowell in the top 30 salary wise as far as LBers go.  Even or ahead of Suggs, Diggs, Bullock, Porter, Morgan.  Sorry but Crowell by any stretch, and his being inactive early is not "starting quality" on a good football.  He certainly is not top 30 in the NFL, and probably not top 100 lb in the NFL. 

545676[/snapback]

I would assume that most signings/extensions of any starter at any position in the entire league puts that player in the upper 30 on that particular day. Surely, a year from now, (if he is a starter) Crowell will not be in the upper 30, two years from now he will likely be in the middle of the pack, and three years from now, still under contract, he will be closer to the lower 30 of LB starters in the league.

I would assume that most signings/extensions of any starter at any position in the entire league puts that player in the upper 30 on that particular day. Surely, a year from now, (if he is a starter) Crowell will not be in the upper 30, two years from now he will likely be in the middle of the pack, and three years from now, still under contract, he will be closer to the lower 30 of LB starters in the league.

545686[/snapback]

Regardless, at no time has Crowell proven that he should ever be in the top 30 LB's regardless of timing/resignings.

This made no sense as he was a restricted FA, and could have been forced to sign for about 700K next year, unless a team was willing to offer him big money and a fairly high draft pick.

Regardless, at no time has Crowell proven that he should ever be in the top 30 LB's regardless of timing/resignings. 

This made no sense as he was a restricted FA, and could have been forced to sign for about 700K next year, unless a team was willing to offer him big money and a fairly high draft pick.

545689[/snapback]

It's called foresight.

Guys mentioned like Suggs, etc. are going to far exceed these dollar figures once their time comes due.

And again, if you look at all the starting WLB's in the league right now (which Crowell happens to be at this point), and look at their tackles/sacks/ints (ie. production) he is closer to the top than he is the bottom.

Good link, but with that salary that puts Crowell in the top 30 salary wise as far as LBers go.  Even or ahead of Suggs, Diggs, Bullock, Porter, Morgan.  Sorry but Crowell by any stretch, and his being inactive early is not "starting quality" on a good football.  He certainly is not top 30 in the NFL, and probably not top 100 lb in the NFL. 

545676[/snapback]

i don't know how you figure those contracts are comparable......

crowell -- 6.5M/3 years.....2.1M average

suggs -- still working under rookie contract........second contract will be double what crowell got....not a relevant example when discussing extensions to contracts

diggs -- signed his contact 3 years ago.......only one of this bunch that is close to the average value of crowell, but the contact is outdated anyway......2.6M average

bulluck -- in second year of severely backloaded 36M/5 year contract.......7.2M average

porter -- in 4th year of 22.5M/6 year deal.......3.75M average

morgan -- signed extension of 28M/5 years before season.......5.6M average

please stick to the facts........

i don't know how you figure those contracts are comparable......

crowell -- 6.5M/3 years.....2.1M average

suggs -- still working under rookie contract........second contract will be double what crowell got....not a relevant example when discussing extensions to contracts

diggs -- signed his contact 3 years ago.......only one of this bunch that is close to the average value of crowell, but the contact is outdated anyway......2.6M average

bulluck -- in second year of severely backloaded 36M/5 year contract.......7.2M average

porter -- in 4th year of 22.5M/6 year deal.......3.75M average

morgan -- signed extension of 28M/5 years before season.......5.6M average

please stick to the facts........

545712[/snapback]

Why don't you look at the link? Those were the facts in the link.

Based on the contract, looks like he is making 300-400k more.

545687[/snapback]

what a load of crap.....

posey is scheduled to count 2.1875 on the cap next year.......that is the average for crowell!!........his cap hit will likely be 1/2 to 2/3 of that number, putting him in the 1.08 to 1.44 range......therefore, even with the dead money from cutting posey, the bills will come out ahead.......

try backing up some of these points your making.......they don't hold any water.......

Why don't you look at the link?  Those were the facts in the link.

545714[/snapback]

ah, those are cap values and how much players earned in '04 only (notice i pointed out '04 -- this isn't even '05 we're looking at)......if you don't understand how that relates to OVERALL CONTACT VALUE then you have no idea how the salary cap works.......

Roles not withstanding, I believe Crowell to be a better football player than Posey any way you look at it. Posey is surely a specimen but it does little for him on the field while crowell is always all over the place doin stuff. If he improved in run support he'd be a very good LB. As it is he is above average. Bills fans are spoiled by having seen so many good LBs over the years that we forget what its like to field a squad of losers(see 2001). 2 million per year is peanuts. Crowell is active on the field AND in the stat sheet, which is some people's only frame of reference. To be honest I think that Crowell should look for a new agent because he was about a year away from making at least 10 mil over 4 years provided he didnt get injured. This deal is a steal for the Bills as I doubt cutting Crowell would ever cost us more than 1.5 in dead cap. this is clearly a case of a guy being better than his madden rating.

One of the few bright spots on a crappy Defense this year. If he can learn to be a run stopper, hes a stud.

ah, those are cap values and how much players earned in '04 only (notice i pointed out '04 -- this isn't even '05 we're looking at)......if you don't understand how that relates to OVERALL CONTACT VALUE then you have no idea how the salary cap works.......

545719[/snapback]

And if you are so knowledgable, rather than being a prick why don't you point to someplace with all of the salary cap info for all of these players. It really doesn't change that much from year to year and comparing LB's from last year to this year should be within 5% or so. That said, Crowell still would be in the top 30 LB's and doesn't deserve it regardless of of that small average increase.

And if you are so knowledgable, rather than being a prick why don't you point to someplace with all of the salary cap info for all of these players.  It really doesn't change that much from year to year and comparing LB's from last year to this year should be within 5% or so.  That said, Crowell still would be in the top 30 LB's and doesn't deserve it regardless of of that small average increase.

545728[/snapback]

i did post the information prick -- i posted the actual contracts, which are much more relevant to the conversation given that all we know about crowell's deal right now is the length and the overall amount.......the comparisons you were offered are completely off base (as i demonstrated) and hold no water......

I think this contract with Crowell is a signal that we aren't going after AJ Hawk in the first round, but rather are zeroing in on OT, DT, DE, TE. Even if we did go to the 3-4, we are assuirng that we have strength in the LB'er department. Crowell's tackles are on par with Spikes' tackles on a per game basis. I'd rather have Spikes in Spikes' old position and allow Crowell (with his aggressiveness and range) to have Posey's position, moving out Posey as the DE/OLB used in 3-4.

545676[/snapback]

Here's some more fuel for the fire:

Average For Top 100 LB salaries:

..............Base Salary.......Signing Bonus.......Other Bonus........Total Salary..........Cap Hit

2004......$1,104,066.........$1,171,294..........$152,779...........$2,428,139........$2,013,251

2001........$874,416............$933,125.............$68,997...........$2,159,305........$1,677,390

% Chg..........26.3%.................25.5%................121.4%.................12.5%.................20.0%

I think this contract with Crowell is a signal that we aren't going after AJ Hawk in the first round, but rather are zeroing in on OT, DT, DE, TE. Even if we did go to the 3-4, we are assuirng that we have strength in the LB'er department. Crowell's tackles are on par with Spikes' tackles on a per game basis. I'd rather have Spikes in Spikes' old position and allow Crowell  (with his aggressiveness and range)  to have Posey's position, moving out Posey as the DE/OLB used in 3-4.

545739[/snapback]

what about OG? bennie is a waste of space

what about C? teague is a free agent

what about WR? moulds can walk if he wants to

what about CB? if nate leaves there is no replacement on the roster

there are needs a lot more pressing then TE.......we still haven't even seen what everett has to offer.......there are only 3 roster spots to begin with and i can't see them cutting euhus or campbell to make room for a rookie.......