Call me crazy...

Coach Tuesday

I know, I know. If we don't draft 28 offensive and defensive linemen this year, d_wag's head is gonna explode. I hear you - we definitely need to upgrade both lines this offseason. We need a stud DT, a passrusher to replace Kelsay (I'll say it again: BUST), and an entirely reconstructed o-line (except for Peters).

That all being said, looks like we'll be picking in the 10-13 spot. And, that means we'll also have the chance to grab the best pure TE prospect to come out in years:

Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland.

Incredible size and speed. Good, willing blocker. Tough guy. Great hands. Can stretch a defense.

Think Antonio Gates, 'cuz that's what he is.

If you ask me, (a) tight end is not a so-called "skill position" (they DO play o-line), and (b) the lack of a reliable tight end has really kept our offense back, especially in the red zone. And, I also don't think we can expect Everett to return to form - who knows what kind of player he'll be, if he even recovers from his injury.

That's my idea and I'm gonna stick with it - grab a stud like Davis to take this offense to the next level.

I know, I know.  If we don't draft 28 offensive and defensive linemen this year, d_wag's head is gonna explode.  I hear you - we definitely need to upgrade both lines this offseason.  We need a stud DT, a passrusher to replace Kelsay (I'll say it again:  BUST), and an entirely reconstructed o-line (except for Peters).

That all being said, looks like we'll be picking in the 10-13 spot.  And, that means we'll also have the chance to grab the best pure TE prospect to come out in years:

Incredible size and speed.  Good, willing blocker.  Tough guy.  Great hands.  Can stretch a defense.

If you ask me, (a) tight end is not a so-called "skill position" (they DO play o-line), and (b) the lack of a reliable tight end has really kept our offense back, especially in the red zone.  And, I also don't think we can expect Everett to return to form - who knows what kind of player he'll be, if he even recovers from his injury.

That's my idea and I'm gonna stick with it - grab a stud like Davis to take this offense to the next level.

544307[/snapback]

actually, if needs are addressed on the OL and DL through free agency i would be completely open minded to seeing other positions considered for the 1st round pick.....

for instance, if the bills sign a guy like backus to play LT, a guy like bentley to play LG, and guys like pickett and tripplet to play DT the biggest needs will likely shift to CB and WR.......

bottom line -- it is way to early to determine what position should be addressed in the 1st round.....free agency affects this decision greatly......

I know, I know.  If we don't draft 28 offensive and defensive linemen this year, d_wag's head is gonna explode.  I hear you - we definitely need to upgrade both lines this offseason.  We need a stud DT, a passrusher to replace Kelsay (I'll say it again:  BUST), and an entirely reconstructed o-line (except for Peters).

That all being said, looks like we'll be picking in the 10-13 spot.  And, that means we'll also have the chance to grab the best pure TE prospect to come out in years:

Incredible size and speed.  Good, willing blocker.  Tough guy.  Great hands.  Can stretch a defense.

If you ask me, (a) tight end is not a so-called "skill position" (they DO play o-line), and (b) the lack of a reliable tight end has really kept our offense back, especially in the red zone.  And, I also don't think we can expect Everett to return to form - who knows what kind of player he'll be, if he even recovers from his injury.

544307[/snapback]

there are a few good te's coming out but this one is being touted in the EM (eric mold) of a Gonzalez/Gates type........just relaying what i hear

If we filled the oline needs in free agency and picked up the likes of grady jackson and a darren howard or raheem brock on the defensive side of the ball I would not be opposed to a te, however I'd rather have Marcedes Lewis then Vernon Davis. Marcedes is 3 inches taller and around the same speed. Would probably be a better redzone target then vernon at 6'6. Also a better blocker

actually, if needs are addressed on the OL and DL through free agency i would be completely open minded to seeing other positions considered for the 1st round pick.....

for instance, if the bills sign a guy like backus to play LT, a guy like bentley to play LG, and guys like pickett and tripplet to play DT the biggest needs will likely shift to CB and WR.......

bottom line -- it is way to early to determine what position should be addressed in the 1st round.....free agency affects this decision greatly......

544329[/snapback]

ryan pickett? you think much of him? just wondering, i never thought he could be that good with a lousy stop unit in st. louis and two first round picks playing DT

ryan pickett?  you think much of him?

544336[/snapback]

absolutely.....he put on 20 pounds last off-season and that added bulk has added to his game immensely........only 26, he has finally blossumed into a legit run stuffer who can draw double teams and still make plays........he's been healthy his entire career and entering his prime.........i'd take him over an over-the-hill grady jackson any day.......he's a run stuffer, and that is exactly what this team needs........

544307[/snapback]

Yeah, and then let's draft the smallest WR candidate in the draft followed by some QBs and RBs. Then with our 7th pick let's draft a tackle that we are surprised made it to the 7th without getting drafted.

Tom, is that you Tom?

"The Buffalo Bills are on the board, and there has been a trade, sending the 12th pick overall to ..."

544381[/snapback]

The Minnesota Vikings for Pat Williams, Jonas Jennings (acquired in a trade with San Fran), Antoine Winfield and a lake boat cruise vessel to be named later...brilliant...Ralph reunites the band without paying the signing bonuses...

I agree that a quality pass-catching TE is very important. Need evidence, you need look no further than Drew Bledsoe. In his best days in NE he had Ben Coates. In his one good season with us he had Riemersma -- I know not much but still he had pretty good hands. I don't think it's any coincidence that Drew's coming back down to earth the following season was at least partially because JR was sent packing... It's also no coincidence that having Jason Witten this year has allowed him to make a comeback in Dallas.

Hind-sight is 20-20 but for those who say that taking Willis with that #1 pick back in 2003 wasn't such a bad thing because TD still landed the guy he wanted in the second round (with Kelsay). Well, what if we had taken Kelsay with that first pick -- and then selected Witten in the second round?

My point is that the TE posiiton has been just as neglected as the OL that everyone keeps complaining about.

Let's hope Everett can make a full recovery by next season.

I agree that a quality pass-catching TE is very important. Need evidence, you need look no further than Drew Bledsoe. In his best days in NE he had Ben Coates. In his one good season with us he had Riemersma -- I know not much but still he had pretty good hands. I don't think it's any coincidence that Drew's coming back down to earth the following season was at least partially because JR was sent packing... It's also no coincidence that having Jason Witten this year has allowed him to make a comeback in Dallas.

Hind-sight is 20-20 but for those who say that taking Willis with that #1 pick back in 2003 wasn't such a bad thing because TD still landed the guy he wanted in the second round (with Kelsay). Well, what if we had taken Kelsay with that first pick -- and then selected Witten in the second round?

My point is that the TE posiiton has been just as neglected as the OL that everyone keeps complaining about.

Let's hope Everett can make a full recovery by next season.

544390[/snapback]

i dont remember jay still being here with drew

Davis is an absolute beast. watched him tear it up in the ACC this season. Of course the lines need to be adressed, but if thats done with FA, as stated, then this would be a hell of a pick. Still, i'd rather see a DL here with our #1...