fake punt nice call by up man

Robert Paulson

i do not think that was a called fake.

the upman noticed the gunner thomas was not being covered and kept gesturing to moorman to go that way. i couldn't figure out what he was doing at 1st. it must have been 3-4 seconds of gestures. i'm surprised no one from OAK caught on and went to cover him.

any one remember who that was?

that was my bright spot of the day.

I'd like to believe that, but we were deep in our own territory. I think it takes some pretty big stones for a punter to throw the ball on his own when he's backed up that far. If the play messes up, Oakland has the ball with a short field.

I'd like to believe that, but we were deep in our own territory.  I think it takes some pretty big stones for a punter to throw the ball on his own when he's backed up that far.  If the play messes up, Oakland has the ball with a short field.

38651[/snapback]

that's what confused me. did mm call for the fake if the gunner was not covered or did they do it on their own?

is it standard st practice to get the green light if the gunner is not covered?

from the way the up man was gesturing i think they did it on their own.

could you imagine the s#itstorm that woulda rained down on the Bills if that hadnt worked?

I mean, you think its bad now, but IMAGINE that early, turning the ball over that deep?

Even though it worked, I dont like it. TOO risky

38661[/snapback]

Exactly. And while we're on the subject, what's with all the gadget plays? Double reverses, wide receivers lining up at QB, etc. I seem to remember GW/KG getting raked over the coals for exactly this same stevestojan last year.

I remember when we did the same thing to KC (at their place) about three years ago and Reimersma almost broke it for the score!!

yeah, that was the game where RJ dove into the endzone for the winning score.

How I long for the days of RJ.....

Exactly.  And while we're on the subject, what's with all the gadget plays?  Double reverses, wide receivers lining up at QB, etc.  I seem to remember GW/KG getting raked over the coals for exactly this same stevestojan last year.

38677[/snapback]

Believe me, I'm getting those embers warmed up. If I see another double-reverse-direct-snap-to-Moulds-look-Ma-no-brains-Mickey-Mouse-stevestojan play again, I'm going to have a stroke.

On the other hand...at that point in the game, snapping the ball to Moulds was about the only way it was going to get into his hands. And even then, I'm half amazed he didn't drop the thing...

I don't think it was a called fake either. I think the punt team always has the option to throw it to the gunner if he is not covered.

I'm still waiting to see even a single reverse - when a WR runs to the other side of the field and takes the handoff from the QB that is called a handoff. A reverse requires two exchanges of the ball. The first exchange moves the ball either left or right and then the second exchange reverses that direction. A double reverse requires a 3rd exchange of the ball.

I think people are forgetting: that was a great throw!! Our punter threw a perfect spiral and hit the WR right in the chest. 9 out of 10 punters in this league couldn't make that throw--it seems every time a kicker or punter has to get rid of the ball (e.g., a botched snap), they fumble it around before throwing a lame duck. Not Moorman-- perfect throw in a pressure situation.

Believe me, I'm getting those embers warmed up.  If I see another double-reverse-direct-snap-to-Moulds-look-Ma-no-brains-Mickey-Mouse-stevestojan play again, I'm going to have a stroke.

On the other hand...at that point in the game, snapping the ball to Moulds was about the only way it was going to get into his hands.  And even then, I'm half amazed he didn't drop the thing...

38762[/snapback]

Just to make you feel worse, Moulds misread his blocks, L.Smith pulled perfectly and opened a huge lane for about 25 yds but EM went right for the corner and only got 3 yds.

I thought it was great ,but if they didnt get it ,Id be ripping em a new one saying it was the stupidest play Id ever seen.but i guess it really doesnt matter how good or bad the play was the same problem still exsists we cant seem to do anything offencively after the big play! ;)