BREAKING NEWS

pdh1

RIP James  :doh:

I have a feeling this story is going to take on other aspects of the hip-hop life style as this appears to be his website....I found the link on the colts board;

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=41899442

540117[/snapback]

The site is pretty scary...WTF with kids these days? Can't just be yourself...gotta act like a tough SOB. Digusting sh--, to be honest.

And you're probably right...though given that a high profile person is involved, we may not get the real story on this.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But, I guess when you go to a funeral, you ask what's on the menu at the breakfast, or if your name happened to sneak its way onto the will, instead of telling the immediate family "sorry about your loss". Because, as we all know, "it doesn't do anything".... moron.

540116[/snapback]

If I could tell Tony Dungy "I'm sorry for your loss" I call him right now. Unfortunately, I'm here on a Bills message board chit-chatting with football fans about football, and other issues.

I lost a sibling to an auto accident. Trust me, I know what it's like to hear "So sorry for your loss" and "Such a terrible tragedy" 200+ times each day over the course of four days. To see some of my friends arrive, and talk to them about anything that would get my mind off my sister was welcome. I guess I'm not saying it doesn't do anything...You just kind of numb those comments out. Donations to MADD in my sis's honor made a difference, not a handshake and a one-liner.

Don't you think one of Tony Dungy's immediate thoughts, after his family concerns, was how this would affect his team this season? Maybe, "How can I keep them focused on a Super Bowl run?"

Unfortunately, it's emblematic and a reflection on society today.  Too many people just too absorbed with themselves to give a rats ass about anyone else.  Sad.

540099[/snapback]

No, I actually think it's more a reflection of America's fixation with celebrities. Hundreds of people die a tragic death every day (and I won't even get into the aspect of sucide being a selfish act.) People seem to pick and choose what constitutes a RIP post based on the level of celebrity. Someone posts RIP John Candy and it gets 100 response. Someone else may post a RIP random 80's one hit wonder star and it might get 5. Meanwhile, 99 other people may have just died as well but you'll never hear or give a passing thought to it.

I feel for the Dungy family, but no more then I feel for the other family who lost a son today and I never will base my feelings of a death on the level of celebrity. Anytime you do it is for purely selfish reasons and you're no better then others who have a different response.

The site is pretty scary...WTF with kids these days?  Can't just be yourself...gotta act like a tough SOB.  Digusting sh--, to be honest.

And you're probably right...though given that a high profile person is involved, we may not get the real story on this.

540152[/snapback]

Thats what I thought also......If people want to see that site they better do it now before it's pulled....The saddest thing on that sight is the messages on the right,,,one at 6am from a friend and another at 8 am from another friend that just found out........The saddest thing is hearing from todays stars saying they're not role models and then you see a sight like that from a young guy who hasn't firgured out how they're being used.....pisses me off!

If I could tell Tony Dungy "I'm sorry for your loss" I call him right now.  Unfortunately, I'm here on a Bills message board chit-chatting with football fans about football, and other issues.

I lost a sibling to an auto accident.  Trust me, I know what it's like to hear "So sorry for your loss" and "Such a terrible tragedy" 200+ times each day over the course of four days.  To see some of my friends arrive, and talk to them about anything that would get my mind off my sister was welcome.  I guess I'm not saying it doesn't do anything...You just kind of numb those comments out.  Donations to MADD in my sis's honor made a difference, not a handshake and a one-liner.

Don't you think one of Tony Dungy's immediate thoughts, after his family concerns, was how this would affect his team this season?  Maybe, "How can I keep them focused on a Super Bowl run?"

540157[/snapback]

the team perhaps yes..but not its pointspread..i think u have a valid point about posting football topics on a football website..but this isnt a football thread..and i just wished that you hadnt brought that onto this thread, thats all...i guess it just kinda hit close to home...i had my best friend (named james, age 18) committed suicide a couple years back and it still bothers me to this day...so if i was a little overboard then that's my fault..i'm just expressing my opinion like the rest of you

The site is pretty scary...WTF with kids these days?  Can't just be yourself...gotta act like a tough SOB.  Digusting sh--, to be honest.

540152[/snapback]

Wow. If that's really his MySpace (which it does seem to be if you look at pics and college info, etc), he was one messed up thug.

No, I actually think it's more a reflection of America's fixation with celebrities. Hundreds of people die a tragic death every day (and I won't even get into the aspect of sucide being a selfish act.) People seem to pick and choose what constitutes a RIP post based on the level of celebrity. Someone posts RIP John Candy and it gets 100 response. Someone else may post a RIP random 80's one hit wonder star and it might get 5. Meanwhile, 99 other people may have just died as well but you'll never hear or give a passing thought to it.

I feel for the Dungy family, but no more then I feel for the other family who lost a son today and I never will base my feelings of a death on the level of celebrity. Anytime you do it is for purely selfish reasons and you're no better then others who have a different response.

540162[/snapback]

While what you just said is very true, I think there is the equally true added factor of virtually everyone thinking of Tony Dungy as one of the very most decent human beings of all celebrities. And that even though all deaths are equally tragic, it's a shame that such a seemingly honorable, good-natured, down to earth guy has to experience this.

Wow. If that's really his MySpace (which it does seem to be if you look at pics and college info, etc), he was one messed up thug.

540167[/snapback]

I wouldn't call him a thug......just another kid led astray by the real thugs making a buck off them!!...........Wish they would pay more attention to the Bill Cosby's of the world!

Against the Bettors:

This board is a curious collection of people:

I am no judge in the matters of taste but

there was a time when children like some of

ours were left to die on windswept cliffs.

Tempus Fugit - Memento Mori

For the Bettors:

I am thinking that the line probably stays the same, and at the same time

think that Irish Novelist Samuel Beckett would have liked that question.

The saddest thing  is hearing from todays stars saying they're not role models and then you see a sight like that from a young guy who hasn't firgured out how they're being used.....pisses me off!

540164[/snapback]

Oh come on. This was a privileged, worldly kid, not some dummy from the ghetto. No one forced him to glorify guns and drugs. That site is disgusting.

Oh come on.  This was a privileged, worldly kid, not some dummy from the ghetto.  No one forced him to glorify guns and drugs.  That site is disgusting.

540176[/snapback]

Can happen to anybody......and he was hanging out with alot of multi-millionaire's doing the same thing...whats your point? Didn"t say anyone froced him...Oh and buy the way worldly isn't something I would associate with 99.9% of anybody under the age of 20.....

While what you just said is very true, I think there is the equally true added factor of virtually everyone thinking of Tony Dungy as one of the very most decent human beings of all celebrities. And that even though all deaths are equally tragic, it's a shame that such a seemingly honorable, good-natured, down to earth guy has to experience this.

540169[/snapback]

I agree.

And just to clarify my comments, by selfish I don't mean that in a bad way. People have different ways of responding to things. It is certianly acceptable to pick and choose who you go out of your way and give condolences for. If every person mourned every tragic death this would be a very depressed society. It is selfish to pick and choose and to pay attention to one death more then another, but it is a selfish act out of necessity and perfectly understandable.

If it makes someone feel like they are showing support by posting a RIP post on a message board then so be it. If someone doesn't feel the need to respond the same way then so be it as well. All people responding should just take a moment before hitting "Add Reply" and ask themselves if what they are saying is really needed at this point.

RIP James  :doh:

I have a feeling this story is going to take on other aspects of the hip-hop life style as this appears to be his website....I found the link on the colts board;

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendID=41899442

540117[/snapback]

He was still a kid and this is the kind of website a kid would put up.

I'm more surprised that the son of an NFL head coach would be attending a community college. I mean, if George W. Bush could get into Yale...

Can happen to anybody......and he was hanging out with alot of multi-millionaire's doing the same thing...whats your point? Didn"t say anyone froced him...Oh and buy the way worldly isn't something I would associate with 99.9% of anybody under the age of 20.....

540184[/snapback]

My point was that you shouldn't be blaming 50 Cent (or whoever you are blaming for being a bad 'role model') for this kid's attitude. How many Colts have a website that look like that one?

I wouldn't consider 99.9% of teenagers worldly either. But I would put this kid in the other .1% Not too many kids have a famous multi-millionaire parent, travel around the country with a pro football team (and whereever else) and take snapshots with the President.

My point was that you shouldn't be blaming 50 Cent (or whoever you are blaming for being a bad 'role model') for this kid's attitude.  How many Colts have a website that look like that one?

I wouldn't consider 99.9% of teenagers worldly either.  But I would put this kid in the other .1%    Not too many kids have a famous multi-millionaire parent, travel around the country with a pro football team (and whereever else) and take snapshots with the President.

540211[/snapback]

And why should having a famous multi-millionaire parent, travel with a football team and taking snapshots with a president make you a more well-adjusted person, a happier person, a well-rounded person, etc.? Compared to a kid from the projects who is a good friend and has great friends, who is a good son or brother, who tries in school and gets rewarded? Whether or not he listens to hip hop and likes Randy Moss?

He was still a kid and this is the kind of website a kid would put up.

I'm more surprised that the son of an NFL head coach would be attending a community college. I mean, if George W. Bush could get into Yale...

540207[/snapback]

Huh? Not my kids, nor any one I know.

Man, I felt really bad for the family when i first posted this topic.

It seemed revelant being that is was the son of the coach of the NFL's best team on the verge of making the SuperBowl...

But after reading that kid's page, all I can say is "what an ass".

I love that "f*#K the police" and "america is racist so I am thug" message coming from a kid who's dad makes a ton of money coaching a game.

I wish kids like that could spend some time in the Sudan, and see what real racism and hate crimes are. He would be crying on the phone to come back to the good old US of A in a day.

Still feel bad for Tony though.

My point was that you shouldn't be blaming 50 Cent (or whoever you are blaming for being a bad 'role model') for this kid's attitude.  How many Colts have a website that look like that one?

I wouldn't consider 99.9% of teenagers worldly either.  But I would put this kid in the other .1%    Not too many kids have a famous multi-millionaire parent, travel around the country with a pro football team (and whereever else) and take snapshots with the President.

540211[/snapback]

Yea but all that doesn't make one worldy.....Don't know who has a website like that but I'd lay dollars to donuts that they are all talkin the slack and from what I've read he just didn't get to hop on the plane whenever he wished, take snapshots with the pres. big deal I can do that for a $200 donation at election time.......I never blamed 50 cent just the whole sub-culture.....It's funny how the hip-hop world fails to execpt any blame for the crap they promote....thats like saying the greatful dead never caused anyone to drop acid...just plan ludicris.........

And why should having a famous multi-millionaire parent, travel with a football team and taking snapshots with a president make you a more well-adjusted person, a happier person, a well-rounded person, etc.? Compared to a kid from the projects who is a good friend and has great friends, who is a good son or brother,  who tries in school and gets rewarded? Whether or not he listens to hip hop and likes Randy Moss?

540212[/snapback]

His experiences afforded him opportunities to meet a wider range of people and situations than the vast majority of his peer group, and as a result would have made him less likely to be awed by famous people and imitate them without understanding or questioning it. East Brady's assertion was that he was being 'used' by cultural influences. I think that's a cop out if it's used to excuse the website content. Obviously others don’t feel that way.

Sorry -- I didn't mean to hijack the thread.