Chris Mortensen say..

bernie

Wow.. that post didn't brighten up my day.... great point.. never thought about it that way before

539326[/snapback]

Total and utter garbage.

1] The GM position in the NFL is one of the great jobs in the entire friggin' world. Very few people have the balls or integrity to turn down any NFL GM job if it is offered. Perhaps one or two of these jobs come up a year. I would bet my life that 95% of every single possible GM candidate in this world, whether legitimate or a pipe-dreamer, would LOVE to have the Buffalo GM job. And that includes the very best candidates for it, if there are such things.

2] The Bills organization, regardless of TD, is highly regarded around the league and has been for 15 years or more. Ralph is very well liked and respected around the league, and it doesn't matter that he is 87. The training camp and field house and facilities are fine. No one is going to turn down the Bills job because Ralph may die in the next few years UNLESS another team with a better situation in the league has a GM job offer out to them at the time and they are getting their choice. That ain't likely to happen.

3] The Bills, regardless of how terrible they played, have some talent, and simple coaching would have been the difference in at least four games this year. Everyone in the NFL at this high level would not only know that but have a big enough ego to believe with all their black heart that if they chose the right coach and made the right 4-5 moves in free agency and the draft, the Bills would be a serious contender overnight.

4] Buffalo is known as a great football town. It's a GM's dream to have the city at his disposal and not have to fight the Celtics and Bruins and Red Sox for the sports fans attention. The fans (used to be) intelligent and will support the team almost no matter what.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, except when he spent the entire day whipping Ogden's ass the last time we played Baltimore.

539373[/snapback]

And there's typically no one else on the d-line that even poses a vague impression of a hint of a threat to accomplish anything...meaning teams can key off on Schobel and eat him alive.

Schobel will never be Reggie White or Bruce Smith...but he might easily achieve a more than respectable level of solid competence if someone else on the line drew a double-team once in a while. B-)

And there's typically no one else on the d-line that even poses a vague impression of a hint of a threat to accomplish anything...meaning teams can key off on Schobel and eat him alive.

Schobel will never be Reggie White or Bruce Smith...but he might easily achieve a more than respectable level of solid competence if someone else on the line drew a double-team once in a while.  B-)

539385[/snapback]

You're absolutely correct, though it's not for lack of talent. Adams could be a force but he's a mental midget and that pretty much ruined the defense.

Well, except when he spent the entire day whipping Ogden's ass the last time we played Baltimore.

539373[/snapback]

But didn't Ogden spend most of 2004 playing through a knee injury he suffered in the preseason? I think Ogden had a bad 2004 season in general, and not just a bad week vs. the Bills.

My original point was that Schobel is vastly overrated as our #1 DE for the moment.

I see AS more as a quicker, lighter, Phil Hansen type. Players like him have their place on teams, but our new GM needs to improve the DL players around Schobel in order to maximize his effectiveness...what CTM just said a few posts ago.

Total and utter garbage.

1] The GM position in the NFL is one of the great jobs in the entire friggin' world. Very few people have the balls or integrity to turn down any NFL GM job if it is offered. Perhaps one or two of these jobs come up a year. I would bet my life that 95% of every single possible GM candidate in this world, whether legitimate or a pipe-dreamer, would LOVE to have the Buffalo GM job. And that includes the very best candidates for it, if there are such things.

2] The Bills organization, regardless of TD, is highly regarded around the league and has been for 15 years or more. Ralph is very well liked and respected around the league, and it doesn't matter that he is 87. The training camp and field house and facilities are fine. No one is going to turn down the Bills job because Ralph may die in the next few years UNLESS another team with a better situation in the league has a GM job offer out to them at the time and they are getting their choice. That ain't likely to happen.

3] The Bills, regardless of how terrible they played, have some talent, and simple coaching would have been the difference in at least four games this year. Everyone in the NFL at this high level would not only know that but have a big enough ego to believe with all their black heart that if they chose the right coach and made the right 4-5 moves in free agency and the draft, the Bills would be a serious contender overnight.

4] Buffalo is known as a great football town. It's a GM's dream to have the city at his disposal and not have to fight the Celtics and Bruins and Red Sox for the sports fans attention. The fans (used to be) intelligent and will support the team almost no matter what.

539355[/snapback]

I am sure you and many other people that live in Buffalo believe this... The truth is sadly much different.... The Bills job with the age of the owner is a notch above the New Orleans job... Will someone take it? Sure. Will a big name take it? Will someone with a proven track record take it? No friggin way.... Yes their are only 32 NFL GM positions but how many proven guys want a job that will be most likely a short tenure...

I am sure you and many other people that live in Buffalo believe this...  The truth is sadly much different....  The Bills job with the age of the owner is a notch above the New Orleans job...  Will someone take it?  Sure.  Will a big name take it? Will someone with a proven track record take it?  No friggin way....  Yes their are only 32 NFL GM positions but how many proven guys want a job that will be most likely a short tenure...

539436[/snapback]

How many proven guys want another NFL GM job, period????

JDG

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....You guys will miss TD when he's gone. I agree that he needs to focus on the lines, but TD is much more a part of the solution than he is the problem.

.  Clearly he is tight with TD.

539151[/snapback]

this is what i said during the whole moulds fiasco and people totally lambasted me for even suggesting that mort's reporting was so biased. him and TD are buddies that go back a long way. He tends to report in favor of TD. Him saying that we will never find someone more qualified than TD is evidence of that. his inside source at buffalo usually is TD.

I am not defending TD because I think his time in Buffalo is up -- and nothing short of a miraculous turnaround next year will ever get the fan base back.

Still, I think that SOME of the criticism aimed at him is unfair, especially regarding his perceived lack of attention to the OL. Yes, Mike Williams has turned out to be a huge (literally and figuratively) bust. But, in selecting him with the 4th overall pick, TD was trying to address that need. Also, I don't think that it was until this year that we all finally came to the conclusion that MW was indeed a bust. After all, he played pretty well down the stretch last year. In fact, the whole line played pretty well by year's end.

Yes, TD didn't sign any big name FAs to the OL in the off-season. But look at what was available. There is a reason that the Niners overpaid for Jonas Jennings; he was the only halfway decent LT on the market. I don't think anyone here wishes that we had overpaid to retain him, considering the 49ers' poor return on investment.

What about the draft? Well, there wasn't much in the way of quality-can't-miss OL in last year's crop. Personally, I was hoping that TD would trade up to get Barnes -- but who's to say that he didn't try to do that? Remember the trouble TD had trying to throw Henry in with the purpose of trading up with Arizona? There really wasn't anyone special there when TD took Parrish. (I'm not defending the Parrish pick; just saying that there wasn't a good OL alternative at the time). Also, he did go on to draft Preston and Geisinger. Preston may even move into the starting Center job next season. And who's to say that Geisinger isn't a decent pick.

I guess my point is that I can understand what Mort was trying to say. Sometimes you just have a bad year. This year we had the horrible mix of young, not ready for primetime players (JP) with too many over-the-hill guys (Vincent and Milloy).

I think TD has suffered from two flaws:

1. The Richard Nixon syndrome. Nixon was so paranoid that everyone was out to get him that he put so many things inplace that actually gave his enemies ample ammunition to oust him. TD has suffered from this kind of paranoia, since losing that power struggle with Cowher in Pitt. Thus, he has remained determined not to ever name another coach that he feels will ever rise to the level of challenging his authority. In essence, he's become a victim of his own insecurities, as neither lightweight coach has panned out.

2. He's too wrapped up in the fixing today's problems without being proactive about tomorrow's. FOr the past two years the defense has carried the team, while the offense has left the defense out to dry. Thus, TD has approached the draft looking to fill up on offensive skill positions. In essence, he ignored the defense -- and wasn't smart about developing quality depth for injuries and the inevitable cruelty of father time. Thus, this year we saw an offense striving to work its way up from the bottom -- and a defense on its inevitable way down. Not a good combination.

Right now the Bills are a bad team. Some of that is a product of a cyclical process -- and part of it is due to some bad decisions made by TD and staff. Imagine how difficult it will be attracting free agents this off-season, let alone a new qualified GM!

So, I'm curious if you're just being a contrarian (and like me, reacting against the excesses of fan critiques) or if you really would maintain the status quo?  Thanks.

JDG

539339[/snapback]

I'm reacting more to the excesses of the fans than anything. There is so much real stuff to criticize that it pisses me off to no end that we have to make up stuff just to pile on.

Again, the GW situation is the classic example. People dump on a guy for being well-prepared when interviewing for a job. B-) That is amateur hour at its finest. GW was an ass-clown, but people are going to mock him for the one thing he did well? Good grief.

The problem I have with analyzing the situation, that apparently few others have, is that I have a woeful inadequate stack of facts to base decisions on.

How much is TD interfering with coaches such as McNally? What IS the true sentiment in the locker room for MM, for TD, for TC, for JG, for certain teammates? How can anyone make rational decisions without knowing what goes behind the scenes?

Are players correctly executing ill-conceived schemes? Are they incorrectly executing brilliantly devised schemes? I don't have that answer as I don't know what these players are told to do Wed-Sat.

So, there are a million perturbations here based upon incomplete data sets.

Personally, I believe perception is reality in the NFL and that we must clean house - if only because the expectations have been set by the paying customer. I don’t believe RW can just offer a sacrificial lamb and not get kicked in the teeth for 8 months.

From that you need to pick a GM and I don't believe that experience necessarily trumps inexperience. The only experience that matters is Bill Polian type of experience. If a guy is available who has "done it" more than once with different teams/coaches/personnel then odds are he is a good football man. Same goes for the coaching staff. Beyond those guys, anyone is fair game.

Let them make the player evaluations and then move on in a methodical manner.

I am sure you and many other people that live in Buffalo believe this...  The truth is sadly much different....  The Bills job with the age of the owner is a notch above the New Orleans job...  Will someone take it?  Sure.  Will a big name take it? Will someone with a proven track record take it?  No friggin way....  Yes their are only 32 NFL GM positions but how many proven guys want a job that will be most likely a short tenure...

539436[/snapback]

I don't live in Buffalo, and your post is based on what? Nothing? A hunch? Have you heard any or many executives or GMs or coaches say the Buffalo job is a bad one? Or say the organization is in shambles? Or that Buffalo is a crappy place to work and live? Or that Ralph is getting old and is going to die soon so a new guy is going to have a short tenure? I don't think so. Some idiot sportswriter with nothing to write or B word about may, but what people actually around the league have been actually saying for years is that the Bills have a top notch organization from the top down.

I think the point Mort is making is that Buffalo is not that attractive place to begin with....  Sorry...  The team has not won in 6 years.....  The other factor is that the owner is 87 years old.  Whomever he selects will have to worry about the health of the owner.  When Ralph dies a new owner will be in place.  If that owner wants to bring in his own people then you as GM are out....  That and the fact that if you run off Mularkey in two years Buffalo will be an awful place to be a head coach.  No one will want that job either..

539149[/snapback]

Yeah, I think the Bengals did OK getting a front office and coach and that must have looked the a great place to work. Sorry but Buffalo still has one of the best fan bases in the league and a great owner who looks like he'll be around for a while. B-)