Not to pile on MM, but what the hell?

Buftex

With about 5 minutes left, the Bills score a touchdown. They are now down 28-16 (that is 12 points!) The Bills, quickly, and with no apparent discussion, kick an extra point. They are now down by 11! Why the fug not try a two point play? If you make the conversion, you are down by 10, and your improbable comeback requires a touchdown and a field goal to tie. You don't make it, you are still only down by 13 points, and you still need 2 touchdowns to complete the comeback...the extra point really does nothing to help you in a comeback attempt...is it just me, or does stuff like that get you po'd? <_<

With about 5 minutes left, the Bills score a touchdown.  They are now down 28-16 (that is 12 points!)  The Bills, quickly, and with no apparent discussion, kick an extra point.  They are now down by 11!  Why the fug not try a two point play?  If you make the conversion, you are down by 10, and your improbable comeback requires a touchdown and a field goal to tie.  You don't make it, you are still only down by 13 points, and you still need 2 touchdowns to complete the comeback...the extra point really does nothing to help you in a comeback attempt...is it just me, or does stuff like that get you po'd?  <_<

535610[/snapback]

Gets me pissed to, but the alternative would be watching the play that MM would call to try and get the 2 points. Can you imagine what that would look like?

Gets me pissed to, but the alternative would be watching the play that MM would call to try and get the 2 points. Can you imagine what that would look like?

535612[/snapback]

double reverse Evans-Reed flea flicker to Roscoe who passes to tackle eligible Peters at the 1

Brilliant!!!

With about 5 minutes left, the Bills score a touchdown.  They are now down 28-16 (that is 12 points!)  The Bills, quickly, and with no apparent discussion, kick an extra point.  They are now down by 11!  Why the fug not try a two point play?  If you make the conversion, you are down by 10, and your improbable comeback requires a touchdown and a field goal to tie.  You don't make it, you are still only down by 13 points, and you still need 2 touchdowns to complete the comeback...the extra point really does nothing to help you in a comeback attempt...is it just me, or does stuff like that get you po'd?  :doh:

535610[/snapback]

If you still need another TD anyway, what difference does it make if they wait to go for 2 on the next one? Pretty minor point to pick on....it's not like there is a shortage of things to complain about. <_<

If you still need another TD anyway, what difference does it make if they wait to go for 2 on the next one?  Pretty minor point to pick on....it's not like there is a shortage of things to complain about.   <_<

535615[/snapback]

I so stupid! :doh:

If you still need another TD anyway, what difference does it make if they wait to go for 2 on the next one?  Pretty minor point to pick on....it's not like there is a shortage of things to complain about.  <_<

535615[/snapback]

But if you're only down 12 and make the 2 point conversion then you're down 10. Now you only need a touchdown and field goal to force overtime.... or am I missing something here? :doh:

But if you're only down 12 and make the 2 point conversion then you're down 10. Now you only need a touchdown and field goal to force overtime.... or am I missing something here?  <_<

535637[/snapback]

No, you are absolutely right, many posters on this board hve bought the NFL coaching fraternity ultra conservative, never leave points on the field philosophy which, if you bother to look at it statistically, is total BS.

If you still need another TD anyway, what difference does it make if they wait to go for 2 on the next one?  Pretty minor point to pick on....it's not like there is a shortage of things to complain about.  <_<

535615[/snapback]

Yeah, can't blame MM for this one.(though I'd like to :doh: )... get the sure point now, go for 2 at the end if the opportunity arises.

But if you're only down 12 and make the 2 point conversion then you're down 10. Now you only need a touchdown and field goal to force overtime.... or am I missing something here?  <_<

535637[/snapback]

No, you are absolutely right, many posters on this board hve bought the NFL coaching fraternity ultra conservative, never leave points on the field philosophy which, if you bother to look at it statistically, is total BS.

535710[/snapback]

MM actually made the right call. YOU DO NOT go for 2 pts until you absolutely have to. We were indeed down by 12 but we needed another TD to pull within reach. The next TD is the TD you go for 2 on. If you miss the 2 point conversion one the first TD the game is effectively over and would take the wind out of your sails pretty quick....

MM actually made the right call. YOU DO NOT go for 2 pts until you absolutely have to. We were indeed down by 12 but we needed another TD to pull within reach. The next TD is the TD you go for 2 on. If you miss the 2 point conversion one the first TD the game is effectively over and would take the wind out of your sails pretty quick....

535744[/snapback]

At this point in the season, why not go for 2? If we have ANY possible chance of winning this game, you try for it.

That was an indication that we are tanking the remainder.

At this point in the season, why not go for 2?  If we have ANY possible chance of winning this game, you try for it.

That was an indication that we are tanking the remainder.

535750[/snapback]

why is this so difficult to understand? If we were to win that game we needed 2 TD's and a FG. Therefore there are TWO chances to go for a two-point conversion. There is no reason to go for it on the 1st TD.

why is this so difficult to understand?  If we were to win that game we needed 2 TD's and a FG.  Therefore there are TWO chances to go for a two-point conversion.  There is no reason to go for it on the 1st TD.

535755[/snapback]

But still......

If we make a 2 pointer there, it should inject a little life in the players. "We have a shot to win this" just didn't exists, due in part to that play. I just want to second guess MM, because it seems like all these second guesses would be way more effective than the plays he calls.

535710[/snapback]

If there's statistical proof about what you're tlaking about, please present it now. Otherwise, keep quiet.

CW

535744[/snapback]

What wind, what sales. We are out of contention, we are playing badly and incessently sending the team messages that the coach has no confidence in them and that quitting is acceptable. Going and missing makes no difference except in that in may send your team the message that we won't quit and will try anything to win. Not going here, as in the Atlanta game in a losers decision.

But if you're only down 12 and make the 2 point conversion then you're down 10. Now you only need a touchdown and field goal to force overtime.... or am I missing something here?  :unsure:

535637[/snapback]

Yes you are.Like Marv used to say--never go for 2 unless absolutley necessary. You miss the 2...then you HAVE to score 2 TDs after that. Also -if Denver scores one field goal in the meantime-they are up by 15 and you HAVE TO get a 2 point conversion.2 point attempts unless absolutely necessary almost always backfire.

If there's statistical proof about what you're tlaking about, please present it now.  Otherwise, keep quiet.

CW

535760[/snapback]

I'll do it for him. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/11/2...ra-points/3256/

That breaks down numbers and percentages based on what kind of situation we were in last night. It doesn't, however, take in account the morale of the players, which could drastically change if the play is converted.

I'll do it for him.  http://www.footballoutsiders.com/2005/11/2...ra-points/3256/

That breaks down numbers and percentages based on what kind of situation we were in last night.  It doesn't, however, take in account the morale of the players, which could drastically change if the play is converted.

535769[/snapback]

Amen. There is more to it than the charts especially for this team.