Should the Colts go for the undeated season?

KD in CA

Polian was on Mike Francessa's show yesterday and strongly hinted that the Colts would lower the risk of injury to their starters by getting them out early and not making it a priority to win their last 3 since they've already locked up homefield advantage.

Francessa is on a tirade today about this, insisting that the Colts should in no way turn their backs on a chance to make history.

What say you?  What if it was the Bills?

534280[/snapback]

Go for undefeated season and SB. So we never have to hear about those damn FINS

You forgot -

Colts go 15-1, lose in the playoffs/Super Bowl

Everything has a risk, but you only get an opportunity to make history once in a blue moon.

"Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and !@#$ the prom queen."

534403[/snapback]

i !@#$ed the prom queen, she gave me an std :doh:

Polian was on Mike Francessa's show yesterday and strongly hinted that the Colts would lower the risk of injury to their starters by getting them out early and not making it a priority to win their last 3 since they've already locked up homefield advantage.

Francessa is on a tirade today about this, insisting that the Colts should in no way turn their backs on a chance to make history.

What say you?  What if it was the Bills?

534280[/snapback]

Why not go for it if you have a chance at history. If for some reason you lose this week's game against San Diego, than a week off for the starters could be a good idea.

The team should play to win, always. There is a certain rhythm that you lose by resting starters for weeks.

What they can do is put the hammer down in efforts to go undefeated...by beating San Diego and Seattle. Prepare Manning and Co. to go 1/2 the final game against hapless Arizona.

Then give the entire team a week off to watch the Wild Card week.

I'm sick of watching fat Larry swill Champagne every time an undefeated team goes down.

I just don't see how they could not make an effort to go undefeated. I mean, if you just give up, wouldn't you always wonder if you could have done it? And if they don't make a serious attempt, who's to say that won't have some psychological consequences down the line in the playoffs.

I just don't see how they could not make an effort to go undefeated.  I mean, if you just give up, wouldn't you always wonder if you could have done it?  And if they don't make a serious attempt, who's to say that won't have some psychological consequences down the line in the playoffs.

534565[/snapback]

Play the 2nd string, if you win that is great, if you lose who cares. It is about winning a SB, nothing else. Remeber the Bills went to 4 straight SBs and lost them. but everyone talks about the Pats winning 3 of the last 4 SBs, and nobody cares that they did not make it in the other year.

Undefeated seasons are rare, but it is important to win the SB first and foremost.

Colts will get trashed in the playoffs if they essentially take the last 3 games off.

534300[/snapback]

I don't believe this. Philly took a couple games off last year to finish the season, and New England played out the string. I think either path can be correct based on the team.

Dungy rested a lot of his starters last year as well and they absolutely jacked Denver the next week.

It's a tough situation for Dungy, but his primary goal should be to win the Super Bowl. One thing no one mentions is that the '72 Dolphins won't go away because they also finished the deal and won the rings. They wouldn't be out and about popping champagne if they had lost in the playoffs.