Is Big Mike as good as gone?

bartshan-83

I think everyone will agree that Mike Williams has been a big disappointment. But is he really not even good enough to be playing for the worst line in football? (save Houston...maybe)

I liked the LG experiment just because at least it was action. Bennie sucks and I liked that the coaches actually tried to do something about it...albeit it was a failure. I like Jason Peters and I think he can continually develop, but as others have stated, I do not believe it is any coincidence that our running game has completely shut down since Mike has been on the bench. The man CAN run block better than most...and aren't we supposed to be a RUNNING team?

Bottom line, of course his cap number is waaaay too high for next year and needs to be adjusted, but should he be shown the door? Can he really not be of service to this putrid excuse for a line? And does anyone else feel that keeping your highest paid player on the bench for the rest of the season is tantamount to him not being in your future plans at all?

I have defended him up till this year. The contract he received is structured such that the only way he could come back was if he made the pro bowl. He is simply not worth the money. If he takes a pay cut, sure he should be retained. I doubt he will though.

Take heart, if I remember correctly, the 06 draft is supposed to be deep in tackles.

Unless he has been made a scapegoat by MM and TD for not  agreeing to

a reduce in paycut this year.....hey I can speculate.....:-)

534253[/snapback]

The CBA restricts how much a contract can be reduced and though I do not remember the exact numbers off hand even with the maximum "adjustment" down in his salary he is scheduled to be making starting LT money and the contract will be too large of an allocation for a player to play RT, LG and certainly to warm the bench as we experiment with him at LG.

Contracts also usually require the salary allocated to a player to be paid as a bonus at some point in the off-season which forces the team to commit to the player since they already have paid him (this is why a cut of Ruben Brown was forced.

From the looks of the contract (the totals we do know) MW is a goner as a Bill and likely this will be forced as a necessity this off-season.

I think everyone will agree that Mike Williams has been a big disappointment. But is he really not even good enough to be playing for the worst line in football? (save Houston...maybe)

I liked the LG experiment just because at least it was action. Bennie sucks and I liked that the coaches actually tried to do something about it...albeit it was a failure. I like Jason Peters and I think he can continually develop, but as others have stated, I do not believe it is any coincidence that our running game has completely shut down since Mike has been on the bench. The man CAN run block better than most...and aren't we supposed to be a RUNNING team?

Bottom line, of course his cap number is waaaay too high for next year and needs to be adjusted, but should he be shown the door? Can he really not be of service to this putrid excuse for a line? And does anyone else feel that keeping your highest paid player on the bench for the rest of the season is tantamount to him not being in your future plans at all?

534057[/snapback]

Good point about his run blocking abilities and how we wanted to be a running team this year. Unless he takes a pay cut, I would say that Mike Williams will be a starting RT for some other team next season.

Good point about his run blocking abilities and how we wanted to be a running team this year.  Unless he takes a pay cut, I would say that Mike Williams will be a starting RT for some other team next season.

534418[/snapback]

yeah he will. I like jason peters but he blocks like a te. He uses his hands adequately and is quick on his feet making him good in pass protection which is nice, but I've yet to see him do much in the run game unable to drive block. I'd prefer to move peters back to te and keep him as a blocking te ala jason dunn although not as good and keep mike williams at rt.

With that said Mike Williams is as good as gone which is why I'd like to see us franchise clements for a late 1st and draft tackle marcus mcneil out of auburn and max jean giles from georgia with our 2nd rd pick

Well, anything is possible if Ralph cleans house re: TD,

the new guy may want to keep him around.

That being said, it's in his best interests to show something/anything these last 3 games, whether to stay here or for his next team..

I too had been a defender of Big Mike's until this year. In fact, at the end of last season, I thought that he had managed to get over the hump en route to becomming something approximating what the team thought they were getting when they selected him #4 overall.

Part of me really does think that it goes back to coaching. There are coaches like Parcells that thrive on motivating players. Then there are coaches like Marv that thrive on managing an assortment of egos and allowing these guys to motivate themselves. MM falls into the latter category -- although the recent problems with Big Sam and Moulds would indicate that he may not have that magic delegation touch. I think this team is also sadly lacking in the kind of self-motivated players, which makes the matter even worse.

All of that is to say that maybe we can still see something good out of Big Mike if we get the right kind of coach in here to put the fear of God into him. I'm not talking about a poindexter with a loud horn like GW. I'm talking about a strong, tough coach that you know means business.

i could see us cutting and resigning him to a lower incentive laden contract.

if we add hutch and bently (or even one of them really) in FA AND keep mike we will have a VERY solid run blocking line and much better than we have had in about a decade in pass blocking as well.

if we also draft Ngata, keep edwards and sam, and get grady or someone like that in FA we will have a MUCH better D line as well.

we could go from bad to very good on both of our lines this offseason and really set the table for our young talent to shine.

Something tells me Williams is not viewed in a favorable light by his fellow players. He stubs his toe and misses significant time while collecting the biggest paycheck on the team. Tough ? A Leader ? How's he helping us missing most of the season ?

Welcome to the Cap age.

Call the movers.

Something tells me Williams is not viewed in a favorable light by his fellow players. He stubs his toe and misses significant time while collecting the biggest paycheck on the team. Tough ?  A Leader ? How's he helping us missing most of the season ?

Welcome to the Cap age.

Call the movers.

534573[/snapback]

Get it right - he hurt his breast...

Mike's cap number is huge next year. It's not a good situation, because if the Bills cut him, they take a huge cap hit for someone that's no longer there. However, I don't see Mike necessarily going to another team and doing any better. Coaching may be important, but we're tallking about professional athletes here and in the NFL they're expected to motivate themselves. There's a big difference between NFL coaching, which is more like managing, and college coaching which involves a lot more hand-holding. No NFL head coach is going to want to deal with someone who requires constant external motivation.

Sad to say it, but I think that at the NFL level, a player is either motivated to deal with the daily stresses of being a professional football player or they're not.

The competition is just too intense for someone to rely on their size and strength alone and only play when they feel like it. Draft history is full of big strong guys who end up bailing out.

Good point about his run blocking abilities and how we wanted to be a running team this year.  Unless he takes a pay cut, I would say that Mike Williams will be a starting RT for some other team next season.

534418[/snapback]

Once again, he cannot take a paycut of the size that would mstch his production for the Bills. I can't remember what the % of maximum reduction is (if anyone is curious emough to wade through the legal language the entire CBA text can be found in the Media section at NFLPA.org. Player contract details are in Article 14 of this several hundred page (with updates and side agreements).

At any rate I think that MW by rule can agree to a new contract that reduces his 2006 cap hit no more than 10-25%. At this restricted level his 2006 cap hit would still give him a contract that places him in (or at least very near depending on new contracts negotiated under the new higher salary cap next year) among the top 10 NFL contracts for OL players.

I don't know anyone who feels that even with the largest pay cut allowed under the CBA anyone judges MW as playing at a level which deserves a top 10 OL contract.

He almost certainly is a goner,

Usually when players re-structure and take cuts, they get bonus money and years added. In MW case you're taking a big risk by doing that as he's done nothing to prove he's worth doing that. Even a guy like Moulds, you have a good track record to go by and if the money is reasonable, you can risk doing that.

I think the this past season, the Bill's had hoped that MW would have continued to improve as he did last year. If he had, then at seasons end, the Bill's would have been willing to restructure and add years. That may have been why they didn't do it last year as they didn't want feel they had seen enough yet to indicate that he had turned the corner. Trouble is this past year, not only didn't he turn the corner, he got lost going around the block!