Duke Preston?

jarthur31

He may turn out to be solid... but I've noticed a lot of posters automatically pencil him in as a starter next year & I'm not so sure yet, need to see more first..

531305[/snapback]

Exactly. He wasn't able to push a starter on what might be the worst line in all of football. The coaches have been desparate to try and get a line together that works. They were even willing to give Peters a shot to beat out Williams despite his huge salary and draft investment. If there were even a hint that Preston could play, I think we would have seen him on the field.

Preston is a rookie. He has done some impressive things this season, and he has had some mental failures this season. You will rarely if ever see the potential of an NFL lineman filled prior to his second or third year.

531632[/snapback]

Oh, come on. Have you seen the trash lining up at the guard positions on this team? And Big Duke can't crack this line-up?

What's the problem? Is he a 300 pound weakling? An idiot? We're saving him for a surprise party?

I mean, sweet cripes, can't he even stand in front of a defender for longer than 0.000002 seconds? Anderson can't. If he can't either, he flat out sucks and rumors of his impending enshinement in Canton are hysterical delusions resulting from heavy inhaling on the ol' crack pipe.

Benching the veteran center in favor of a rookie would have been very disruptive to the line. I could see where the coaches wouldn't want to add additional disruption to the line even if they thought Preston could play.

531625[/snapback]

I agree ........ why would we want to disrupt the production of the finely oiled machine we call our O-line :doh:

Oh, come on.  Have you seen the trash lining up at the guard positions on this team?  And Big Duke can't crack this line-up?

What's the problem?  Is he a 300 pound weakling?  An idiot?  We're saving him for a surprise party?

I mean, sweet cripes, can't he even stand in front of a defender for longer than 0.000002 seconds?  Anderson can't.  If he can't either, he flat out sucks and rumors of his impending enshinement in Canton are hysterical delusions resulting from heavy inhaling on the ol' crack pipe.

531771[/snapback]

lack of pure "football" strentgh is a typical problem for many rookie linemen.

a year of intense supervised weightroom time should fix the problem.

lack of pure "football" strentgh is a typical problem for many rookie linemen.

a year of intense supervised weightroom time should fix the problem.

531822[/snapback]

I think it more a lack of coaching....We really have a sorry bunch of folks called

coaches...

Since when is a Day 2 draft pick labeled a "bust"?

Indeed, there are far more players taken in the 4th and 5th round of the NFL draft that never become much more than reserves than there are players that become starters.

Preston could turn out to be a diamond in the rough, so I mean no disrepect toward him. But the very fact that we are talking about this guy, a rookie drafted on Day 2, with the possibility that he could be a starter as the year winds down, actually tells us more about the lack of quality with our existing lineup -- and the serious lack of depth as well.

Oh, come on.  Have you seen the trash lining up at the guard positions on this team?  And Big Duke can't crack this line-up?

What's the problem?  Is he a 300 pound weakling?  An idiot?  We're saving him for a surprise party?

I mean, sweet cripes, can't he even stand in front of a defender for longer than 0.000002 seconds?  Anderson can't.  If he can't either, he flat out sucks and rumors of his impending enshinement in Canton are hysterical delusions resulting from heavy inhaling on the ol' crack pipe.

531771[/snapback]

You're forgetting that the clowns running the show right now are the same guys who thought Greg Jerman was a more capable starting tackle than Peters.

If there's one thing Mularkey has shown, it's that if he's ever going to make a good decision he is going to take an inordinate amount of time doing it (see the Henry/McGahee switch last year).

Why can't he beat out Teague or Anderson?  Is he a bust too?  Seriously.

531300[/snapback]

A 4th round pick labeled a bust after 13 games and he's not even a starter? 0:) Sure, why not cut him tomorrow and draft another center next year.

Give him an offseason and a solid look in preseason...if he doesnt show progress, then you can possibly label him a gamble and a loss. I dont know many teams who bank on that 4th round pick to be a starter their rookie year. Bust is a term reserved for players who were drafted to be stars and flop harder than a fat guy off a diving board, i.e. Ryan Leaf, Brian Bosworth, Akili Smith, Rashan Salaam, Erik Flowers, Lawrence Phillips, and the list goes on