Marv's quote...

The Senator

You forget that Ralph was considered the President even if that title was never attached to his name.

531280[/snapback]

Well, of course... but even with TD as President, Ralph still has the ability to fire him :-)

(Is it possible to fire yourself? Don't answer that ;-)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bringing back Marv would be about the same as the Redskins bringing back Joe Gibbs!

Marv is a Hall of Fame'r, but absent a good GM...Bill Polian...it would likely be the same old sh** different season.  :P

530993[/snapback]

Bad analogy. The Redskins sucked for how many consecutive years pre-Gibbs? And if it wasn't for a bogus 2 pt conversion in Tampa and/or the Giants getting 9 home games, they would be in prime position to win the division. As it is they still control their own destiny with a Giants loss vs. KC on Saturday.

I think they ought to consider firing both TD and MM right now, appointing Marv general manager and interim head coach, and have Marv stay on as General Manager and conduct the search for head coach after the season ends.  No point in prolonging the agony for TD and MM (and US!) and gives Marv time to evaluate and get ready for the draft and free agency.

530913[/snapback]

In fairness to Marv, remember that he actually did come on board in November of 1986. Hank Bullough was fired before the end of the season and Marv Levy came on board to mop up the mess in 1986. It gave him a head start for 1987. The Bills were 4-12 (Levy was 2-5), then 7-8 in 1987 and 12-4 in 1988.

I think he'd be a great interim coach.  He's about 20 clicks smarter than anybody else, and he's a gentleman and a player's coach, yet uncompromising and demanding.

I read his book.  He's great.  They can hire Mariucci to run the offense till Marv hangs it up.

531269[/snapback]

I'm not sure a 4 and 9 team in some disarray will be inspired by an interim coach. They may well interpret it for what it is, a PR move.

If he's hired - and I wouldn't hire him as coach or GM - it better be a permanent position.

I like Levy - who doesn't?, but the game and the financial, cap end of the game have changed. I doubt that he's kept up on the details - why should he have?

If true, I can claim fame by having first asked about this possibility a few weeks back  :P

531395[/snapback]

I have seen this prediction at least 100 times over the last few years on this board... :D

If we are claiming things, I claim to be the first to predict that Pat Williams being let go was going to be disasterous for the Bills defense. God, I was so right, and I got so "flamed" for it! ("that big fat slob only played on 33% of the plays", yadda, yadda....good riddence Phat Pat!")....I am a friggin' genious! :P

At first I thought "Marv for GM, NO WAY!".....but after thinking about it for a while, a trained chimp with a draft day magazine could do a better job than TD has. Why the hell not.....BRING BACK MARV!!!!! :P

531405[/snapback]

I would feel better with Marv as HC than GM! If Marv is back though, I say he has some sort of front office job, where he can help to mentor Mularkey...strictly PR!

I'm sure many have already heard it on Howard Simon's show this AM, - last nite at Marv was asked about his interest in coaching again.  His reply was someting like...

"I have to be careful about this.  I have been contacted by two teams about coaching again, and I'm thinking about it.  One of them is not the Bills.  And that's all I can say."

That would seem to imply that the other team IS the Bills.

Marv

Bring back Marv!

530838[/snapback]

I hate to be the guy to rain on the parade, but Marv's statement doesn't necessarily imply anything. Taken at face value, he said 2 of the 32 teams in the NFL have contacted him re: working in a football-related capacity. One of them is not the Bills. No comment was made as to whether the second team is or is not the Bills. All it means is that a team other than the Bills has contacted him about a possible return to the league. We're inferring that the second interested team is the Bills.

Marv is a pretty shrewd guy. While his statement doesn't preclude the theory that the Bills have expressed interest in his services, he may well have chosen his words carefully to drum up this kind of interest and, for lack of a more artful way of putting it, incited the masses to talk about and perhaps clamor for his return.