USA gets very tough draw in Worldcup

Pete

went to the semi finals vs portugal.  or was it the quarters, anywho still went further than france, argentina, italy, and the rest.

526944[/snapback]

:D

ok, i'll take that to be a good thing i guess. don't know a damn thing about World Cup soccer. but if its anything like World History, beating France doesn't mean much

France = Houston Texans

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:D

ok, i'll take that to be a good thing i guess.  don't know a damn thing about World Cup soccer.  but if its anything like World History, beating France doesn't mean much

France = Houston Texans

526946[/snapback]

france is one of the top soccer countries... it's filled with arabs and africans that were coaxed into coming to france to play for them. it worked as they got zidane who won them a world cup and many other players who are dominating.

i guess its a good thing for France that soccer bores the hell out of the average American.  Otherwise we'd have to go and dominate the rest of the world in that too :D

526954[/snapback]

lol

actually the US has invested a lot of money into it's soccer program, but since the average American of the old generation don't really follow soccer much, it will take time before the new generation starts to follow it more. Obviously it is also difficult to stimulate interest when the avg american already spends much of its time watching baseball and football and golf, its difficult to attract more interest into something that's relatively new.

Here's my take on the US's group. The US will need to take a step forward if it wants to advance from group play. They would have to beat out one of two elite soccer teams in the world (Italy and Czech Republic) to move on, and doing so would firmly place them as one of the best soccer teams in the world. As of right now, the US is improved, but still relatively unseasoned and untested. 2002 could have been a fluke if the Americans don't make a good showing here.

These games with Italy and the Czechs (and don't count Ghana out either) are going to be extremely difficult. These teams do not have weaknesses. Those who say that Italy will collapse are dreaming. The Italians have an extremely talented team with perhaps the finest defense in the world. The same can be said for the Czech's offense. To defeat or tie Italy or the Czechs will require the finest play. Can the US do it? I really don't know, but I can't wait to see them try. We are deeper and more talented than we have ever been.

In my opinion, the World Cup is, bar none, the finest sporting event in the world.

Here's my take on the US's group.  The US will need to take a step forward if it wants to advance from group play.  They would have to beat out one of two elite soccer teams in the world (Italy and Czech Republic) to move on, and doing so would firmly place them as one of the best soccer teams in the world.  As of right now, the US is improved, but still relatively unseasoned and untested.  2002 could have been a fluke if the Americans don't make a good showing here.

These games with Italy and the Czechs (and don't count Ghana out either) are going to be extremely difficult. These teams do not have weaknesses.  Those who say that Italy will collapse are dreaming.  The Italians have an extremely talented team with perhaps the finest defense in the world.  The same can be said for the Czech's offense.  To defeat or tie Italy or the Czechs will require the finest play. Can the US do it?  I really don't know, but I can't wait to see them try.  We are deeper and more talented than we have ever been.

In my opinion, the World Cup is, bar none, the finest sporting event in the world.

527005[/snapback]

To answer the question from the other thread.

Offence = Totti , Luca Toni and Gilardino make for some sick strikers and playmakers while keeping a very talented cassano on the bench. If these guys play the way they've been playing all year for their clubs, we shouldn't have trouble scoring on anyone.

Midfield = Always been a weakness and a big one at that. There's only 2 players in Italy's midfield that can actually create a play, one is De ROssi who is rather young, i think he'll be ok but not much more than that, and Pirlo who has been very good in the midfield.

Defence = still top notch with Nesta Cannavaro and Zambrotta, simply the best 3 backs you will ever find playing together in the world.

Goaltending = Buffon is still in the top 5 of goaltenders

Coaching = Here in lies the biggest weakness, our coaching. Lippi has had nothing but success as his life as a coach for big clubs but he still comes from that old school italian mentality of defence first and it has cost us big in the last 6 years. Hopefully if he changes and plays smarter and more open, we could score vast amounts of goals and go to the final, but most likely we'll make that mistake of defending a 1 goal lead for 90 minutes and lose. in my opinion the final will be italy vs brazil. If that's the final brazil will win.

Since I'm probably the only guy at TBD going with USA tickets to the World Cup, here are my thoughts...

USA is in the Group of Death. It's the toughest group on paper ... however because of the US style of play, I like our chances.

Italy is OVER-RATED. I know that will piss one guy off here but it's true. Half of their players don't even want on the WC team because of the pressure that comes with it. Italy has faltered when it counts and USA can match up well against them.

Czech is an aging up and down team. They do well outside of the WC but have failed to qualify until this time around. They also have injury problems with Baros and Nedved. I think we have a serious chance at winning this game outright.

Ghana = 3pts for USA, Italy and Czech.

My feelings are USA gets 1st or they don't make it into the Round of 16.

1. USA - 7pts

2. ITA - 5pts

3. CZE - 4pts

4. GHA - 0pts

526930[/snapback]

How did you get tickets?

I went to Euro 2000 in the Netherlands. It was a lot of fun. You are going to have a great time.

How did you get tickets?

I went to Euro 2000 in the Netherlands.  It was a lot of fun.  You are going to have a great time.

527087[/snapback]

I would love to go, i have a feeling this year could be the year we get that coveted trophy that we last won in 1982. Did any of you go to any of the games in the US? I have friends that went but i was young and didn't really have that kind of money to go see such a great event. The only world cup that wasn't exciting was according to people who went, the Asian world cup because of lack of attendance.

I say US and Italy go through from that group. Don't assume because the Czech is "ranked" #2 or #3 in the world, they are a dominating team. Those rankings are so skewed, it's rediculous. Nobody even knows how they are tabulated. I believe the U.S. is 7th, which is too high. They are ahead of Spain (8), England (9), Italy (12) and Germany (15). And Mexico is 6th (please). If the Czech was top 3 in the world, they wouldn't have needed a play-in game to qualify for the WC. They couldn't qualify as one of the top teams in their group, so they needed a 1-0 win against Norway in a play-in game to even make the WC.

I think the US is definitely in the toughest group. Argentina and the Netherlands is a tough group, but they will both advance. Most of the other groups have two solid teams, while the US group has three, plus an unknown in Ghana.

I would love to go, i have a feeling this year could be the year we get that coveted trophy that we last won in 1982.  Did any of you go to any of the games in the US?  I have friends that went but i was young and didn't really have that kind of money to go see such a great event.  The only world cup that wasn't exciting was according to people who went, the Asian world cup because of lack of attendance.

527123[/snapback]

I have a friend from Milan. He and I watched the world cup finals against Brazil with about 200 crazy Italians. We were in a hotel on South Beach. It was a lot of fun until the end. There was complete silence in the room. All of a sudden, I heard a tremendous racket outside. There were all of these Brazilians parading up and down Ocean Drive. It was quite a scene. There also a lot of beautiful Italian and Brazilian women. Fun was had by all.

Let's suck it up guys. There is going to be a lot more pressure on Italy and the Czech Republic. Remember what Greece did against all those European powers in the last European Championships. We may as well find out what kind of team we have against some of the best teams in the world.

USA! USA! USA!

I am just happy that my three favorite teams are not in the same group: USA (of course), the Netherlands, and England.

I say US and Italy go through from that group.  Don't assume because the Czech is "ranked" #2 or #3 in the world, they are a dominating team.  Those rankings are so skewed, it's rediculous.  Nobody even knows how they are tabulated.  I believe the U.S. is 7th, which is too high.  They are ahead of Spain (8), England (9), Italy (12) and Germany (15).  And Mexico is 6th (please).  If the Czech was top 3 in the world, they wouldn't have needed a play-in game to qualify for the WC.  They couldn't qualify as one of the top teams in their group, so they needed a 1-0 win against Norway in a play-in game to even make the WC.

I think the US is definitely in the toughest group.  Argentina and the Netherlands is a tough group, but they will both advance.  Most of the other groups have two solid teams, while the US group has three, plus an unknown in Ghana.

527182[/snapback]

ya but serbia is a tough team too, i mean they have stankovic who is world class amongst others i can't remember at the moment.

Let's suck it up guys.  There is going to be a lot more pressure on Italy and the Czech Republic.  Remember what Greece did against all those European powers in the last European Championships.  We may as well find out what kind of team we have against some of the best teams in the world.

USA! USA! USA!

I am just happy that my three favorite teams are not in the same group: USA (of course), the Netherlands, and England.

527240[/snapback]

Well said! Always be wary of the opponent with nothing to lose! That would be us! Pressure is on Czech Republic and Italy. If we make it to the second round again we will gain much respect. The USA team is loaded and might well surprise. If not this year- 2010!

USA! USA! USA! USA!

Well said!  Always be wary of the opponent with nothing to lose!  That would be us!  Pressure is on Czech Republic and Italy.  If we make it to the second round again we will gain much respect.  The USA team is loaded and might well surprise.  If not this year- 2010! 

USA!  USA! USA!  USA!

527302[/snapback]

loaded with players that play for for second-rate premiere league teams. <_<

loaded with players that play for for second-rate premiere league teams.   <_<

527315[/snapback]

USA = Buffalo Sabres

A team that believes in their coach, their system and their teammates. They have great goaltending with no big name stars. Just a solid team from the starting 11 to the guys on the bench.

USA = Buffalo Sabres

A team that believes in their coach, their system and their teammates. They have great goaltending with no big name stars. Just a solid team from the starting 11 to the guys on the bench.

527349[/snapback]

Good analogy! Does Eddie Johnson score every game or what? That kid has such a nose for goals!

USA = Buffalo Sabres

527349[/snapback]

Although USA has been playing solidly, it will take a lot to get past the Azzurri defence. Everybody seems to be on fire for us and we have one of the best coaches in the game. Hopefully we won't lay an egg on the field like in 2002 and 2004. The only difference from those years is that we dont' have a 90 year old defence first coach, and we actually have a half decent midfield. Something we haven't had since 1982.