Welcome Back Doug Flutie !

Red Dragon

I can't wait for this Sunday, when the Pats are eventually beating the Bills by a wide enough margin, and Flutie is inserted into the game. He will be a reminder of the last good teams Buffalo had, when they were competitive in each game, and actually made the playoffs. Say what you like about his shortcomings (no pun intended), but after he left, it has all gone downhill for this team. If only Flutie had been chosen over Rob Johnson, the disastrous personnel decisions made after his departure would not have happened.

526319[/snapback]

Moron or not, you cannot argue with his record as a Bill. If you were a Bills fan back when he was starting, I guarantee that you rooted for him. The team was a winner when he was the starter, and a loser since he left. He was the first of many poor decisions made by the Bills admistration. I'm not asking you too root against the Bills Sunday, but you should cheer Flutie the way you would any ex-Bill who had accomplishments such as his.

526343[/snapback]

Flutie's record as a Bill:

8-3 in 1998 -- after a 1-3 start by RJ -- oh, and he made the Pro Bowl

10-5 in 1999 -- before being replaced in the first playoff game, which the Bills lost (although it wasn't RJ's fault per se)

4-1 in 2000 -- backing up RJ most of the year -- He played in 11 games in 2000 with five starts.

That gives him a 22-9 record as a Bill.

526381[/snapback]

I loved Doug and I would have had a piece of sh-- attitude too if I was screwed over like he was. If i prove to be a successful QB (22-9 nuff said) and I get benched right before a playoff run in which i was a catalyst after an 0-3 start then you better believe i would be full of piss and vinegar. This organization lost all its class slowly but surely after that episode pulled off by whomever...whether it was Wade, Butler or Ralph (eric moulds wasn't into naming QBs at that point in his career) the situation was beginning of this slide into less than mediocre state.

No matter where Doug played he was a winner (except NE) and thats all that matters in sports.

People on this board crack on others for not liking superstars (ridiculous by the way) and only want blue collar guys...i say it looks like Bills fan knows sh-- about football if they can't see that Doug helped save this franchise when it was in its 12th hour in Buffalo and regardless of his perceived (and justified) "attitude" problem there should be respect given to a man who brought excitement back into a city not by sheer hype ala the TD era, but by producing W's with his play on the field...and lastly, i would only expect to hear someone say that doug was easy to gameplan for...keep him in the pocket...in theory you are correct, but obviously a 22-9 record says executing that easy gameplan is rather difficult...everyone needs to get a clue.

OK, Flakes, I'm about to cry Uncle, but one more question - Was he effective in his starts?  Did our O score points in those Ws?

526414[/snapback]

Who the f*** cares...22-9 =71% effective and thats ok in my book...even if we win every game 3-0 or 6-3...tell me you wouldn't take that effectiveness right now.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Doug and I would have had a piece of sh-- attitude too if I was screwed over like he was. If i prove to be a successful  QB (22-9 nuff said) and I get benched right before a playoff run in which i was a catalyst after an 0-3 start then you better believe i would be full of piss and vinegar. This organization lost all its class slowly but surely after that episode pulled off by whomever...whether it was Wade, Butler or Ralph (eric moulds wasn't into naming QBs at that point in his career) the situation was beginning of this slide into less than mediocre state. 

No matter where Doug played he was a winner (except NE) and thats all that matters in sports. 

People on this board crack on others for not liking superstars (ridiculous by the way) and only want blue collar guys...i say it looks like Bills fan knows sh-- about football if they can't see that Doug helped save this franchise when it was in its 12th hour in Buffalo and regardless of his perceived (and justified) "attitude" problem there should be respect given to a man who brought excitement back into a city not by sheer hype ala the TD era, but by producing W's with his play on the field...and lastly, i would only expect to hear someone say that doug was easy to gameplan for...keep him in the pocket...in theory you are correct, but obviously a 22-9 record says executing that easy gameplan is rather difficult...everyone needs to get a clue.

Who the f*** cares...22-9 =71% effective and thats ok in my book...even if we win every game 3-0 or 6-3...tell me you wouldn't take that effectiveness right now.

527163[/snapback]

The eleven little Fluties on defense were especially responsible for our record.

The eleven little Fluties on defense were especially responsible for our record.

527167[/snapback]

Defense was 2nd in yards allowed in 99 and 7th in 98 so yes our defense was a big part of that team's success but the point is he won...not like Drew who twice had the No.2 defense in the league (in 03 and 04) and managed a blistering 15-17 record. In the consummate team sport don't tell me that doug didn't keep that team in games...1-3 before he took over.

If I remeber correctly, you were Rob Johnson's biggest supporter back in the day. You felt that he would be a great QB some day....

Forget statistics.

Throw the win-loss record out the window, even though that favors Flutie. Let me just ask you this:

Has history proven you correct?

527167[/snapback]

You are correct that I liked RJ better than Flutie. I still do. It would have been interesting to see what RJ could have done with an adequate line -- just like it would have been interesting to see what DB could have done and what JP could do if only we had a decent line.

Flutie did some good things with the Bills. Yet, to attribute our win loss record to him ignores reality and is a slight to all of the other players on the team -- especially on defense. That is one of the reasons why he was not much liked in the locker room.

Here's some pro RJ numbers:

RJ's Completion percentage of 60.48% (401-663) with Buffalo ranks first in team history

He also ranks first in Bills history for lowest interception percentage (2.56)

He ranks second in yards per attempt (7.24)

Those are the numbers of a quarterback who could not scramble, would not throw the ball out of bounds when the rush was on him. and could never pick up a secondary receiver. How many yards could RJ have saved by throwing the ball out of bounds instead of being sacked, at the expense of that GREAT completion percentage. He was courageous, but as I discovered in when I was in Vietnam, I would rather have a buddy with smart survival skills than a courageous idiot on my team.

Those are the numbers of a quarterback who could not scramble, would not throw the ball out of bounds when the rush was on him. and could never pick up a secondary receiver.  How many yards could RJ have saved by throwing the ball out of bounds instead of being sacked, at the expense of that GREAT completion percentage.  He was courageous, but as I discovered in when I was in Vietnam, I would rather have a buddy with smart survival skills than a courageous idiot on my team.

527225[/snapback]

well stated. it's an anomally that people will dig and dig to search for excuses and reasons why RJ sucked. that completion percentage is the most deceiving stat.

I completely agree. Flutie could have given us 3-4 productive years and we might of actually even went to that thing that happens after the regular season that some teams make.

Dropping Flutie was Donahoe's first BIG mistake.

Rot in hell (or St. Louis) Ole Whitey!