Quit beating yourselves up over the Bills

The biggest are the Sabres and the UB Bulls basketball team. The Sabres have shown tremendous effort and guts, defying the skeptics who predicted they would finish dead last. It must be very satisfying for Ruff, Regier, and Quinn, all of whom had fans and media calling for their heads.

The UB Bulls are an even bigger story. They are 7-1, going into their conference schedule. Their only loss was to nationally-ranked Boston College. Even after losing Mark Bortz and Turner Battle, this team looks like they will contend for the MAC title again.

Coach Reggie Witherspoon is a great story unto himself. A local guy, becomes a D1 coach after coaching ECC, and single-handedly brought the Bulls to respectibility. He has had major schools wooing him, but he wants to buld a winner in Buffalo.

So don't let the Bills ruin your winter.

PTR

The biggest are the Sabres and the UB Bulls basketball team.  The Sabres have shown tremendous effort and guts, defying the skeptics who predicted they would finish dead last.  It must be very satisfying for Ruff, Regier, and Quinn, all of whom had fans and media calling for their heads.

The UB Bulls are an even bigger story.  They are 7-1, going into their conference schedule.  Their only loss was to nationally-ranked Boston College.  Even after losing Mark Bortz and Turner Battle, this team looks like they will contend for the MAC title again.

Coach Reggie Witherspoon is a great story unto himself.  A local guy, becomes a D1 coach after coaching ECC, and single-handedly brought the Bulls to respectibility.  He has had major schools wooing him, but he wants to buld a winner in Buffalo.

PTR

521064[/snapback]

Great points all the way around. What choice do we have but to focus our attentions elsewhere.

Coach Reggie Witherspoon is a great story unto himself.  A local guy, becomes a D1 coach after coaching ECC, and single-handedly brought the Bulls to respectibility.  He has had major schools wooing him, but he wants to buld a winner in Buffalo.

521064[/snapback]

Is that really true? What schools are wooing him/have wooed him?

I can't imagine if, for example, a Big East team approached and was interested in him, and he chose to stay at UB. That doesn't make much sense. Building a winner at UB means making the NCAA's one time and playing a top school as a 12 or 13 seed. A winner at a major school means Final Fours. I can't see him not considering offers, so I guess I kinda doubt the validity. But I don't know much!

Nonetheless, go Bulls!

Is that really true?  What schools are wooing him/have wooed him?

I can't imagine if, for example, a Big East team approached and was interested in him, and he chose to stay at UB.  That doesn't make much sense.  Building a winner at UB means making the NCAA's one time and playing a top school as a 12 or 13 seed.  A winner at a major school means Final Fours.  I can't see him not considering offers, so I guess I kinda doubt the validity.  But I don't know much!

Nonetheless, go Bulls!

521093[/snapback]

I don't think he was approached by Duke or NC State, but he has gotten feelers from large D1 programs.

You also don't seem to appreciate what Coach Reggie has done at UB. Their basketball team was as bad as the football team when he got there, like 2-28 bad! He took a team that had nothing, and recruited and coached them to an NIT, and within 1pt of an NCAA berth, in about 4 years.

That shows they guy can coach. He can make chicken sh*t into something resembling chicken salad. He would have no problem reaching at least a Sweet 16 if he were at a real basketball school.

But the fact he wants to do that at UB is something people should appreciate. Unlike most Buffalonians who look for their first ticket out of town, he wants to stay and make it happen here.

The only question is whether UB will be smart enough to pay him to keep him around. It's still a state school, and athletics are not that important at SUNY. They don't understand what having your school on ESPN does for your image nationally. Has anyone even heard of UB outside of NY State? What they need is for the alumni to make a fuss about it.

PTR

If I'm not mistaken, Reggie started his career coaching at Sweet Home High and then moved on to ECC. He and his family are deeply rooted in B-Lo. I'm sure it would have to be more than money to get him to up and leave. Besides, he can be a big fish in a small pond so to speak at UB. He gets well compensated for a state school.

I don't think he was approached by Duke or NC State, but he has gotten feelers from large D1 programs. 

521148[/snapback]

Yeah, I know you didn't mean big time programs. But you did say "major schools wooing him." I was thinking more along the lines of St. John's, Pittsburgh, etc...Up and down programs in a big conference. Do you know any of the schools? BTW, I'm not trying to call you out, or peg you as a liar...I'd just be interested to know what he turned down.

You also don't seem to appreciate what Coach Reggie has done at UB.  Their basketball team was as bad as the football team when he got there, like 2-28 bad!  He took a team that had nothing, and recruited and coached them to an NIT, and within 1pt of an NCAA berth, in about 4 years.

That shows they guy can coach.  He can make chicken sh*t into something resembling chicken salad.  He would have no problem reaching at least a Sweet 16 if he were at a real basketball school.

521148[/snapback]

I was still living out of the area when UB was REAL bad, but I do recall a piss-poor record from a few years back. I think Reggie proved himself to be an adequate recruiter and coach. I thought he did blow it in the MAC final last year. Ohio was on a terror, erasing UB's huge lead, and Reggie just stood around and watched it happen. Then, after Ohio came all the way back to tie it, UB has the ball, holding for the last shot, and Reggie calls timeout with 6 seconds left. Then, he draws up a play for some big guy to shoot a three, when you have senior Turner Battle on the court who hit every big shot for UB that season. Plus, with so little time, there was no opportunity for a rebound put-back if the shot missed, which obviously it did. That game cast some serious doubts about Reggie from me.

But they did go NIT, which is a step in the right direction, and they are off to a good start this year.

The only question is whether UB will be smart enough to pay him to keep him around.  It's still a state school, and athletics are not that important at SUNY.  They don't understand what having your school on ESPN does for your image nationally.

521148[/snapback]

That's really the reason I questioned you in the first place about RW's offers. UB clearly does not have the facilities that most major programs have. Their arena is nice, but smallish. The actual facilities, such as offices, weightrooms, etc. are pretty dated. The school's administration seems to like being Division I in name only, because they don't back it up with actions, or more importantly, money. The school, in it's current state, is going to be a tough sell for top high school recruits. Think about bringing a big time recruit up here from Atlanta for a game in February. It would be 10 degrees with two feet of snow on the ground. Reggie's got his work cut out for him, that's for sure. If he did get some offers, but chose to remain loyal to his hometown, that is pretty admirable.

The biggest are the Sabres and the UB Bulls basketball team.  The Sabres have shown tremendous effort and guts, defying the skeptics who predicted they would finish dead last.  It must be very satisfying for Ruff, Regier, and Quinn, all of whom had fans and media calling for their heads.

The UB Bulls are an even bigger story.  They are 7-1, going into their conference schedule.  Their only loss was to nationally-ranked Boston College.  Even after losing Mark Bortz and Turner Battle, this team looks like they will contend for the MAC title again.

PTR

521064[/snapback]

Sorry, but the NFL is the only big-time sports league with a presence in WNY. Hockey and third tier college hoops just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. The NHL is still off the radar screen for most of the USA. Face it, football is what the American sports scene revolves around. I just can't get excited about a winning hockey team. Even if the Sabes had won the cup a few years back, not many would have noticed. Remember Empire interviewing those Dallas residents on the street the afternoon of games? Many of them had NO IDEA what they were being asked about-didn't even KNOW their city had an NHL team! Football is just a better game anyway, and that's why people love it. Hockey just isn't as athletically impressive. So get pumped about your low rung sports if you wish, but the NFL is where its at, and the Bills just aren't performing up to par. Only Bills success can fill that void. <_<

Sorry, but the NFL is the only big-time sports league with a presence in WNY. Hockey and third tier college hoops just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. The NHL is still off the radar screen for most of the USA. Face it, football is what the American sports scene revolves around. I just can't get excited about a winning hockey team. Even if the Sabes had won the cup a few years back, not many would have noticed. Remember Empire interviewing those Dallas residents on the street the afternoon of games? Many of them had NO IDEA what they were being asked about-didn't even KNOW their city had an NHL team! Football is just a better game anyway, and that's why people love it. Hockey just isn't as athletically impressive. So get pumped about your low rung sports if you wish, but the NFL is where its at, and the Bills just aren't performing up to par. Only Bills success can fill that void. :D

521310[/snapback]

Very true and I definitely agree that Football is the American Sport (not baseball anymore) and the Bills are the #1 team in WNY, but I feel hockey is a BETTER game than football. With the new rules now, it is Super fast, alot of action and scoring and the biggest part of all is that I don't have to spend almost 4 HOURS to watch a friggin' game like the NFL. You can watch a live hockey game under 2.5 hours. I don't have to be bombarded with 1.5 hours of commercials and BS hype that I don't need. To watch a NFL game can be excruciating sometimes with the TV timeouts and all. Simply put, I'll take Hockey over snail pace Football anyday. Sure I'm the minority here, I know it, but the masses can be asses!! <_<

Sorry, but the NFL is the only big-time sports league with a presence in WNY. Hockey and third tier college hoops just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. The NHL is still off the radar screen for most of the USA. Face it, football is what the American sports scene revolves around. I just can't get excited about a winning hockey team. Even if the Sabes had won the cup a few years back, not many would have noticed.  <_<  Remember Empire interviewing those Dallas residents on the street the afternoon of games? Many of them had NO IDEA what they were being asked about-didn't even KNOW their city had an NHL team! Football is just a better game anyway, and that's why people love it. Hockey just isn't as athletically impressive. So get pumped about your low rung sports if you wish, but the NFL is where its at, and the Bills just aren't performing up to par. Only Bills success can fill that void. :D

521310[/snapback]

-If the Sabres had won the cup against the Stars, the entire community of WNY would have noticed and by far would have been the biggest celebration this city has ever seen.

-I'm guessing here, but the reason most of the people of Dallas didn't know about their hockey team is probably because their fan base is mostly transplanted northerners.

-If you don't like the Sabres or the UB Bulls, speak for yourself. I think both teams will make Jan, Feb & Mar an exciting time in WNY.

Just curious...do you currently live in WNY? If so, it might help to be a little more open minded towards other sports. As a matter of fact, after this football season, it will be a welcome relief.

PTR

521064[/snapback]

After the way we played yesterday's game, it's tough to ignore. I'm still upset about it.

PTR...Rutgers is coming to town on Saturday and will be a very good test for the Bulls.  They are currently in the top 50 of the sagarin rankings.

521455[/snapback]

I will be in town for more punishment (Pats/Bills) so I plan to go see the Rutgers game. College BBall is great live.

PTR

Considering he inherited the Tim Cohane mess, UB owes Witherspoon a lifetime contract for how he's resurrected that program.

Things are looking brighter down Olean way as well, now that SBU has a full roster of Division I players again. (And not a single welding major in the bunch, so y'all don't have to bother with any smartaleck responses.) That's right, there are two "Big 4" teams with winning records right now... and neither of them are named Canisius or Niagara... :D

Sorry, but the NFL is the only big-time sports league with a presence in WNY. Hockey and third tier college hoops just doesn't cut it I'm afraid. The NHL is still off the radar screen for most of the USA. Face it, football is what the American sports scene revolves around. I just can't get excited about a winning hockey team. Even if the Sabes had won the cup a few years back, not many would have noticed. Remember Empire interviewing those Dallas residents on the street the afternoon of games? Many of them had NO IDEA what they were being asked about-didn't even KNOW their city had an NHL team! Football is just a better game anyway, and that's why people love it. Hockey just isn't as athletically impressive. So get pumped about your low rung sports if you wish, but the NFL is where its at, and the Bills just aren't performing up to par. Only Bills success can fill that void. :D

521310[/snapback]

Okay, so because other people in other places don't follow something as intense as NFL football and don't care about it all that much, you don't or shouldn't either? Apparently your next original thought will be your maiden voyage into that territory, too. :D

have they beaten anyone good?

522968[/snapback]

Not really - Canisius and some NEC teams. (Wonder if we can get their conference's automatic bid? :D ) Solomon scheduled down this year so they could put a decent run together, maybe even go into the A-10 with a winning record.

But considering the fact that they were losing to teams like Marist and Cornell last year, I can be reasonably happy at 4-2 (with the two losses being at Niagara and a 5-pointer to West Virginia). They're probably not going to come close to the top of the league standings, but unlike last season (and its many nights of 20- and 30-point beatdowns), they should at least be competitive.

But considering the fact that they were losing to teams like Marist and Cornell last year, I can be reasonably happy at 4-2 (with the two losses being at Niagara and a 5-pointer to West Virginia). They're probably not going to come close to the top of the league standings, but unlike last season (and its many nights of 20- and 30-point beatdowns), they should at least be competitive.

523018[/snapback]

Ex-Penn assistant Steve Donahue, much as it pains me to admit it, has built a very strong team at Cornell these last couple of years; just ask Jim Boeheim.

That said, I was at the Bonnies-WVU game and was very impressed by their 21-0 run to come back from down 45-25 in the second half -- and all without a single trey, if I recall right. They stayed in it the rest of the way and had a chance to win it. Trade Tyler Relph back for Mike Gansey and the Bonnies win that game going away.

Ex-Penn assistant Steve Donahue, much as it pains me to admit it, has built a very strong team at Cornell these last couple of years; just ask Jim Boeheim.

That said, I was at the Bonnies-WVU game and was very impressed by their 21-0 run to come back from down 45-25 in the second half -- and all without a single trey, if I recall right.  They stayed in it the rest of the way and had a chance to win it.  Trade Tyler Relph back for Mike Gansey and the Bonnies win that game going away.

523032[/snapback]

That was a helluva run, wasn't it? :D

(One three-ball from Isiah Carson; the rest were two-pointers by Ahmad, Michael Lee, and frosh AJ Hawkins.)

That game was well worth the vacation day and PA-to-Rochacha round trip it cost me. And from what I've heard about Relph (since I haven't actually seen him in anything but a couple of scrimmages), if he'd been on the court instead of in street clothes/walking boot, even Gansey might not have been enough to save them...

That was a helluva run, wasn't it? :D

(One three-ball from Isiah Carson; the rest were two-pointers by Ahmad, Michael Lee, and frosh AJ Hawkins.)

That game was well worth the vacation day and PA-to-Rochacha round trip it cost me. And from what I've heard about Relph (since I haven't actually seen him in anything but a couple of scrimmages), if he'd been on the court instead of in street clothes/walking boot, even Gansey might not have been enough to save them...

523067[/snapback]

Wow... all I had to do was walk across Broad Street from my office. :(

Relph was a supreme talent here at McQuaid. He's had a rough go of it in college (not unlike former McQ stars Ryan Pettinella and Chris Fox) but hopefully when he gets healthy he'll be a star again.