Hate to say this

plenzmd1

Usually do not like this guy, but rips the Bills three seperate times today. Rips Willis especially hard. Ralph has just got to hate this stuff.

Only thing about Willis, lets remember last year when Shawn Alexander went off because he didn't win the rushing title, and he has proven to have a pretty big year.

Peter King's MMQ

Goat of the Week

Buffalo Bills.

Son of Quote of the Week

"I'm no Shakespeare. I can't describe it.''

Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman, on the loss to Miami.

The attitude of Willis McGahee. After the horrible loss to Miami, he said, "I'm over 1,000 yards. That's my highlight of the day. It's out of my hands. If I called the plays, I'd have 60 carries.'' Attaway to be a team guy, Willis.

The Bills might not want to read the paper or listen to the radio today.

Quote of the Week.....

The attitude of Willis McGahee......

The Bills might not want to read the paper or listen to the radio......

Gee, an article from supposed "football writer" Peter King that has nothign to do with football and focuses on the media soap opera and his loose interpretation of players' emotions instead of their play.

Well I'm just shocked that the normally observant King would ignore what actually happens on the field when he's usually so astute about the game itself....... <_<

The not so surprising part of his article is that King left out/ignored the most important part of the quote (as have others on this board).

Willis said that winning the game was more important than the 1,000 yards.

If some Bills fans want to throw McGahee overboard because he doesn't play the quote game right, then be sure to get your Super Bowl tapes backed up on high-quality DVD if you get your wish. You're going to need those highlights to last a few decades to keep any memory of a playoff caliber Buffalo team fresh in your mind.

Did the critics - like Peter King - SEE the shot of McGahee on the bench with six seconds left? I saw an embarrassed, bewildered player taking another beat-down on a defensive collapse. If he's laughing and joking an hour after the game, well, fug, so was I and every other Bills fan worn out by this latest collapse.

Did they also take note that in the next-to-last drive, McGahee carried the ball eight times up the middle or off the right guard into an eight-man front. He gave his strongest efforts of the game right there. No quit, no "I got mine, I gotta go home" effort.

Quit reading the papers to think you can "know" a guy. Press conferences and locker room banalities aren't a window to any player's mind.

If some Bills fans want to throw McGahee overboard because he doesn't play the quote game right, then be sure to get your Super Bowl tapes backed up on high-quality DVD if you get your wish. You're going to need those highlights to last a few decades to keep any memory of a playoff caliber Buffalo team fresh in your mind.

Did the critics - like Peter King - SEE the shot of McGahee on the bench with six seconds left? I saw an embarrassed, bewildered player taking another beat-down on a defensive collapse. If he's laughing and joking an hour after the game, well, fug, so was I and every other Bills fan worn out by this latest collapse.

Did they also take note that in the next-to-last drive, McGahee carried the ball eight times up the middle or off the right guard into an eight-man front. He gave his strongest efforts of the game right there. No quit, no "I got mine, I gotta go home" effort.

Quit reading the papers to think you can "know" a guy. Press conferences and locker room banalities aren't a window to any player's mind.

521042[/snapback]

Great post.

521042[/snapback]

Before I begin, let me clarify that I do not want throw Willis McGahee overboard. I think that Willis McGahee could be a very, very, good back in the NFL.

With that being said, I cannot avoid two conclusions:

1) Willis McGahee has not played like a very good back for several weeks now. In fact, he hasn't even played like a *good* back for several weeks now.

2) Willis McGahee has a very annoying tendency to make singularly distracting and divisive quotes to the media.

3) Very good backs, let alone"the best back in the NFL", should not be coming out of the game in favor of Shaud Williams on 3rd Down (aka "money down") and in passing situations.

Personally, I think that Willis McGahee should be expected to correct all of those things, and should be criticized for those things as long as he fails to correct them.

JDG

3) Very good backs, let alone"the best back in the NFL", should not be coming out of the game in favor of Shaud Williams on 3rd Down (aka "money down") and in passing situations.

521070[/snapback]

This is solely mularkey's fault...he refuses to put his best players on the field all the time, and relies on his little "packages" for certain situations. Willis should be in there on every 3rd down IMO.

Before I begin, let me clarify that I do not want throw Willis McGahee overboard.  I think that Willis McGahee could be a very, very, good back in the NFL.

With that being said, I cannot avoid two conclusions:

1) Willis McGahee has not played like a very good back for several weeks now.  In fact, he hasn't even played like a *good* back for several weeks now.

2) Willis McGahee has a very annoying tendency to make singularly distracting and divisive quotes to the media.

Personally, I think that Willis McGahee should be expected to correct all of those things, and should be criticized for those things as long as he fails to correct them.

JDG

521070[/snapback]

1. OK, McGahee's not above criticism, but to have merit it has to be specific. Where has he screwed up on the field? What assignments has he blown? From what I've seen, I see a guy who regularly piledrives a lineman, a backer and a safety forward for that second or third yard. I've never played in the NFL, but I would imagine that's a pretty phenomenal ability that very few human beings can pull off.

2. Can you point me to the evidence that having players filled with nice & bland "one game at a time" and "we win as a team and lose as a team" bromides equal a better winning percentage?

3. When did McGahee start calling the plays and instituting personnel assignments?

1. OK, McGahee's not above criticism, but to have merit it has to be specific. Where has he screwed up on the field? What assignments has he blown? From what I've seen, I see a guy who regularly piledrives a lineman, a backer and a safety forward for that second or third yard. I've never played in the NFL, but I would imagine that's a pretty phenomenal ability that very few human beings can pull off.

2. Can you point me to the evidence that having players filled with nice & bland "one game at a time" and "we win as a team and lose as a team" bromides equal a better winning percentage?

3. When did McGahee start calling the plays and instituting personnel assignments?

521096[/snapback]

1) During three meaningful quarters against Carolina last week, Willis McGahee averaged 1.9 yards per carry. I don't care if you are starting the Houston Texans' O-Line out there, 1.9 ypc at home is simply not acceptable.

In the 3rd Quarter of the Miami game, where a long drive could have put the thing on ice (and before we went ultra-conservative), McGahee only averaged 3.1 or so ypc. Again, that's just not getting it done.

His total per game averages for the last five weeks are all similarly mediocre to bad.

2) I think the case in point is Terrell Owens. Or how about the "Bickering Bills'" year? I think that self-aggrandizing and back-biting quotes are known to be detrimental to a team's winning percentage. McGahee isn't there yet, but I'm almost waiting for a "I'm a Michael Jordan of the Bills" comment....

3) In response to both you, Cripes, and Ramius on this point - rather than assuming that Mularkey is trying to lose games and get himself fired.... maybe we should consider the fact that Shaud Williams is actually a better player in the passing game than McGahee is right now? Maybe McGahee really is an unacomplished blocker, and not a particularly good pass receiver? I think that is a much more likely explanation of the available facts.

JDG

521070[/snapback]

Whoop-di-do. You don't win or lose with off-the-field comments. The media are a fly on the ass of every team, nothing more.

521070[/snapback]

That's on the coaching staff, not WM. He made a teriffic catch earlier in the game and Murph & AVP (correctly) remarked that the Bills should run more of those type of plays to Willis. Just another case of the over-coaching by MM and TC.

3) In response to both you, Cripes, and Ramius on this point - rather than assuming that Mularkey is trying to lose games and get himself fired.... maybe we should consider the fact that Shaud Williams is actually a better player in the passing game than McGahee is right now?    Maybe McGahee really is an unacomplished blocker, and not a particularly good pass receiver?    I think that is a much more likely explanation of the available facts.

JDG

521203[/snapback]

The few times this year they have utilized him as a receiver he has looked pretty good. This coaching staff is a joke and they seem to like to use all these crazy formations and personell packages that they fail to establish any identity wahtsoever. That is why the no-huddle was so successful last week against Carolina as it didn't give the coaches the chance to mess up the rhytm the offense had by making these ill-advise substituions and gave us a chance to keep the D off balance.

521042[/snapback]

Almost sounds like a players point of view. I like it. I really blame coaching more than the players for all of this mess, yes it takes two to tango, but if you have a coach calling scared plays, your players will play "scared". We need a coach with balls, one that can say, yeah we're up 23-3, lets throw the playaction deep ball a couple more times to keep them honest. This all starts from the top.