Thank GOD we still have Poland

blzrul

Yup you got it folks, we're losing a couple more of those world powerhouses in Iraq.  Bulgaria and Ukraine, what will we do without them.

:DSo pathethic that the only "major" country we could recruit was the UK.

517386[/snapback]

Bulgarian make good yogurt.

And if you check LAbills, those Ukrainian boys have some hotties to go home to.

Heard a quote the other day. Don't remember who said it and it may be paraphrased:

"You've heard of the phrase "Lead, follow. or get out of the way." Well, the democrats can't lead and they won't follow or get out of the way."

Heard a quote the other day. Don't remember who said it and it may be paraphrased:

"You've heard of the phrase "Lead, follow. or get out of the way." Well, the democrats can't lead and they won't  follow or get out of the way."

517413[/snapback]

Democrats will give you cooties.

"You've heard of the phrase "Lead, follow. or get out of the way." Well, the democrats can't lead and they won't  follow or get out of the way."

517413[/snapback]

I don't think anybody, regardless of party, should be following the sh*t show we have now.

Yup you got it folks, we're losing a couple more of those world powerhouses in Iraq.  Bulgaria and Ukraine, what will we do without them.

:devil:So pathethic that the only "major" country we could recruit was the UK.

517386[/snapback]

BTW Debbie you need to figure out how to actually make a link work. Would strengthen your point a bit. Naw actually it wouldn't. :lol:

BTW Debbie you need to figure out how to actually make a link work.  Would strengthen your point a bit.  Naw actually it wouldn't.  :lol:

518237[/snapback]

hey its Christmas time. Oh, wait I'm sorry, its the "Holiday Season". Anyways, its not the content that matters, its the thought that counts :devil:

Little known fact: it was the Poles who broke the German Enigma codes, in the mid-30s.  They gave all their work to the British just before the Germans invaded. 

I'll be glad to have Poland on our side any day of the week.

518126[/snapback]

Ya... Think they ever received high public praise or compensation? Now we wanna give them credit.

Those crazy Poles getting nothing but grief. I wonder how we are treating them (Poland) today? You can say the French surrendered, the British would have also if it weren't for the English Channel.

0800 September 1, 1939 (two hours after the start of the blitzkreig):

"I'm sorry, your call can't be completed as dialed. Please hang up and try again."

Later on (to the Polish code breakers):

"I am sorry, you can't work in England."

Still later on, 1945:

"I am sorry, we don't recognize the Polish government exiled in London."

Must be an "exile" thing?

:devil::lol:

Little known fact: it was the Poles who broke the German Enigma codes, in the mid-30s.  They gave all their work to the British just before the Germans invaded. 

518126[/snapback]

Really? I never heard that one. I thought they found the codes on a submarine.

Saw this the other day too. I keep learning new stuff about Poland all the time.

Black Sons of Poland

Really? I never heard that one. I thought they found the codes on a submarine.

518415[/snapback]

When the Germans introduced Enigma, the Poles used intercepted message traffic to reproduce the inner workings of the machine (which was a hell of an accomplishment. Kind of like reproducing a 5-liter V-8 from the contents of the exhaust). Just before the Germans invaded, the Poles gave their work (i.e. the copy of the device they built, and all the data) to the French and British. The British institutionalized the workings of reading German message traffic (which in itself was an impressive accomplishment), but did so based on the Poles' work. That's why the code-reading devices in British employment were referred to as bombes - Polish for "bomb", a reference to the ticking noise the device made while working.

What you're thinking of is the few times German submarines were captured, and the current settings for the Enigma device were found (and once, when a more advanced Enigma device - with four rotors instead of three - was captured). Again, an accomplishment not to be diminished, as it let the British read German naval traffic real-time for certain periods of the war, but it doesn't change the fact that the British effort was ultimately based on the truly amazing efforts of Polish mathematicians before the war.

When the Germans introduced Enigma, the Poles used intercepted message traffic to reproduce the inner workings of the machine (which was a hell of an accomplishment.  Kind of like reproducing a 5-liter V-8 from the contents of the exhaust). 

518421[/snapback]

Holy Sh--! What did they have? Just pencil, paper and slide rule?

Good post.

When the Germans introduced Enigma, the Poles used intercepted message traffic to reproduce the inner workings of the machine (which was a hell of an accomplishment.  Kind of like reproducing a 5-liter V-8 from the contents of the exhaust).  Just before the Germans invaded, the Poles gave their work (i.e. the copy of the device they built, and all the data) to the French and British.  The British institutionalized the workings of reading German message traffic (which in itself was an impressive accomplishment), but did so based on the Poles' work.  That's why the code-reading devices in British employment were referred to as bombes - Polish for "bomb", a reference to the ticking noise the device made while working.

518421[/snapback]

which raises the obvious question...

how many pollocks did it take :devil::lol:

Holy Sh--!  What did they have? Just pencil, paper and slide rule?

Good post.

518462[/snapback]

Pretty much. I believe it was the mathematican Marian Rejewski who broke it; you might find details on the internet, but David Kahn details it in The Codebreakers as well (which is a big-ass book, but will tell you everything you ever want to know about the history of cryptography you'll ever want to know).

But at any rate...even aside from that, given the Poles' track record of courage in WWII (Lancers - guys on horses with friggin' spears - charging tanks <_<), I'll never complain about them supporting us.