Eric Moulds

Rubes

I just don't know what we should do with this guy.

Watching him this season has been a bit painful at times. I really think he's a shadow of his former self, our offensive line notwithstanding.

Eric has reached the point in his career where one-on-one coverage is no longer an advantage for him. Even injury-riddled secondaries can blanket him on deep routes. Swing passes seem to now be the best way to get him the ball, but he's no longer able to beat the first tackler. He has slowed down and isn't difficult to bring down. I doubt teams worry about double-teaming him any longer, which is probably (one reason) why Lee isn't benefitting as much this year being on his opposite side.

I still think he has a role to play, but it's hard to justify that kind of cash for someone who is no longer a true #1 WR threat. I'd hate to see him go (mostly because I have doubts that Lee and Roscoe would be an effective 1-2 combo), but I think it will happen after this year unless he agrees to a pay cut. Not likely.

If I were Eric, I would have left this team a long time ago. Playing for a team that can't settle on a long-term QB, changes its offensive philosophy ever 2-3 years, places little importance on improving the blocking up-front and has been putrid on offense year after year would take its toll on a receiver.

If he were to play for a team like the Rams, Eagles or Colts, he'd flourish, even as a #2.

Watching him this season has been a bit painful at times. I really think he's a shadow of his former self, our offensive line notwithstanding.

Eric has reached the point in his career where one-on-one coverage is no longer an advantage for him. Even injury-riddled secondaries can blanket him on deep routes. Swing passes seem to now be the best way to get him the ball, but he's no longer able to beat the first tackler. He has slowed down and isn't difficult to bring down. I doubt teams worry about double-teaming him any longer, which is probably (one reason) why Lee isn't benefitting as much this year being on his opposite side.

I still think he has a role to play, but it's hard to justify that kind of cash for someone who is no longer a true #1 WR threat. I'd hate to see him go (mostly because I have doubts that Lee and Roscoe would be an effective 1-2 combo), but I think it will happen after this year unless he agrees to a pay cut. Not likely.

511333[/snapback]

511333[/snapback]

No disrespect to you, or to Losman and Holcomb, but I don't know how we can really gauge if Moulds skills have declined that much...he has, even in his prime, dropped a pass or two here and there. He hasn't really had a ton of chances to showcase his skills, if he does indeed have any left...if the new improved JP continues to improve, I think we will have a much better indication of how good Moulds is...personally, I have always considered him very good, but not "elite"! I like the guy, and would love to see him back, but I don't see it happening. I could see him going somehwhere, like Philly, or good lord, even Dallas, and ending his career on a higher note! It might be good for him, and the Bills...

If I were Eric, I would have left this team a long time ago.  Playing for a team that can't settle on a long-term QB, changes its offensive philosophy ever 2-3 years, places little importance on improving the blocking up-front and has been putrid on offense year after year would take its toll on a receiver.

If he were to play for a team like the Rams, Eagles or Colts, he'd flourish, even as a #2.

511347[/snapback]

That's the shame of it...I think EM had more talent than a lot of other receivers that were once perrenial pro-bowlers...his loyalty actually hurt his career....

my greatest issue with moulds are his public comments on how he hopes holcomb can play this week (nfl channel - sirius radio). he should put as much effort into catching the ball as he does coaching. i would think his comments are not helping losman's assimilation into the team.

if he continues, i would hope they get rid of him.

I think that just age and perhaps lingering effects of that injury caught up. I also can't see any reason why he would re-negotiate.

511339[/snapback]

and there is the rub -- eric has the majority of the leverage and can decide his own future.......the bills will not carry him at his current 2006 cap charge and will approach him about yet another restructure (or perhaps a salary reduction this time around)......

if the bills are forced to cut him due to eric's resistance, this is a bad situation as not only do the bills lose their #1 WR, he will still count 5.3M on the cap (either all in '06 or spread out in '06 and '07).......

the bills are really caught between a rock and a hard place on this one, and this is all due to the bills severly backloading the contract in the first place........

I'm actually going to take a different ilk. IF, and it's a big IF, this team does turn it around next year, for example, would you all think that he would start fighting for the jump ball again, go full out on a deep ball and become the leader we all are lead to believe he is? I, too, believe that years of mediocre football and 101 QB's are enough for any player! I'm not trying to be apologetic for Moulds, I'm simply stating what would be FACT about this organization! Just a thought!

the bills are really caught between a rock and a hard place on this one, and this is all due to the bills severly backloading the contract in the first place........

511378[/snapback]

I thought only Butler did that. :w00t:

my greatest issue with moulds are his public comments on how he hopes holcomb can play this week (nfl channel - sirius radio).  he should put as much effort into catching the ball as he does coaching.  i would think his comments are not helping losman's assimilation into the team. 

if he continues, i would hope they get rid of him.

511360[/snapback]

Did he really open up his mouth again? :doh: Goodbye Eric.

Just from watching Molulds on the tv and in person at the Ralph it looks like he and JP are never on the same page. That could be for several reasons. JP is young and still learning the sysytem and his check offs etc or it could be that Moulds has no desire to build a relationship with JP who is very inexperienced. His comments about wanting Holcomb in there only hurts he and JP'S bond or lack there of.

JP is not going anywhere anytime soon but Moulds on the other hand could be heading out of Buffalo. I would hate to see him leave becuase I feel he can still be an asset to this team both with his experience and the ability he still has. However if he continues to call for Holcomb and his demeanor on the field doesnt inprove we can say good bye to him in 06.

I just hope that we bring in a suitable veteran replacement (big physical wide out with speed) to replace him......

Evans and Parrish would be a fricken nightmare

511398[/snapback]

Terrell Owens fits your description quite nicely. The guy always comes to play, and in my eyes that's far more important than the controversy he sometimes creates when he's off the field.

No disrespect to you, or to Losman and Holcomb, but I don't know how we can really gauge if Moulds skills have declined that much...he has, even in his prime, dropped a pass or two here and there.  He hasn't really had a ton of chances to showcase his skills, if he does indeed have any left...

511352[/snapback]

Good reply, but I really think this isn't a matter of dropped passes or Moulds and JP not being on the same page. I've been watching him over the past few weeks, and he just doesn't seem to have the skill advantage anymore. His speed is no longer an advantage, and he's incapable of evading tacklers. He's become, essentially, a possession receiver. Not a bad thing, and I'd like to keep him in that capacity, but that's probably not an option.

That's the shame of it...I think EM had more talent than a lot of other receivers that were once perrenial pro-bowlers...his loyalty actually hurt his career....

511355[/snapback]

Eric can cry all he wants, but every time he whines about the state of the team and his career he should remember the Bills of 1996 and 1997 who had to lament having an All Pro talent with a ten cent head sitting on the bench by the name of Moulds.

Meanwhile, Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrison and Keyshawn were making plays and establishing themselves. Did he have more talent than those guys? Maybe, but we'll never know for sure because he was not blessed with longevity and he underachieved early on. At this point, he lacks the playmaking skills of Harrison or even Glenn and does not provide the sure target and hands of Keyshawn. At his brightest, he might have been as good or better than any of them, but it was just a relative flicker in time. Two, maybe three seasons (1998-2000).

Loyalty may have hurt his career, but it's just one of the self-inflicted wounds that have cost him. Sloth in his early years and a lack of attention to detail really stand out as well.

I was watching him live at the Pats gane and he completely dominated the competition that day. Many times this season he has been wide open. Granted, not the receiver he used to be but he still is very good. I would hate to see this team without him. Evans as a number onee WR is scary and has Peerless Price written all over it. I love Evans too, just as a speed and second receiver.

I love Eric Moulds, and like others have stated it's hard to really gauge how much he has left. To Erics credit I think he has something like 30 catches and 300 yards and 3 tds in the games Holcomb started. I think the ne game proved he does have something left. Yeah I know makeshift secondary, but he still showed enough speed to run after the catch for the td. It's a shame really we never had a legit oline or qb, while Moulds has been here, he would've been the better for it.

At this point in time I also think he's still better then Lee Evans. Nothing against Evans he's a great deep threat, with world class speed, but that's basically all I've seen him do... Get open deep. If we part ways with Moulds it once again makes wr a top priority, someone who can be that posession receiver, unless you think Aiken can fill in I don't see it. I'd love to keep moulds but if we can't it just makes us have to go after another big name wr like reggie wayne taking away money from improving the oline and dline, and being stuck in the same cycle.

Here we go again.

You can go back to 1996 and 1997 all you want but when a player doesn't get a chance, there is really little he can do. Marv Levy did not like Moulds one bit and kept him cemented to the bench. The minute Wade took over, he installed him as the team's #1 receiver and he went onto flourish. You might say he had a ten cent head, but I say he wasn't given a chance. The reality is that it was probably somewhere in between.

Look at Larry Johnson. He rotted on the bench for 3 seasons watching Priest Holmes put up all-pro numbers and was in Vermiel's doghouse week after week. Vermiel even tried to tangle him in trade talks.

Now, he's the toast of the town. Did he really belong in Vermiel's doghouse or was he not given a chance? I think it was the latter.

Eric can cry all he wants, but every time he whines about the state of the team and his career he should remember the Bills of 1996 and 1997 who had to lament having an All Pro talent with a ten cent head sitting on the bench by the name of Moulds.

Meanwhile, Terry Glenn, Marvin Harrison and Keyshawn were making plays and establishing themselves.  Did he have more talent than those guys?  Maybe, but we'll never know for sure because he was not blessed with longevity and he underachieved early on.  At this point, he lacks the playmaking skills of Harrison or even Glenn and does not provide the sure target and hands of Keyshawn.   At his brightest, he might have been as good or better than any of them, but it was just a relative flicker in time.  Two, maybe three seasons (1998-2000). 

Loyalty may have hurt his career, but it's just one of the self-inflicted wounds that have cost him.  Sloth in his early years and a lack of attention to detail really stand out as well.

511456[/snapback]

Here we go again.

You can go back to 1996 and 1997 all you want but when a player doesn't get a chance, there is really little he can do.  Marv Levy did not like Moulds one bit and kept him cemented to the bench.  The minute Wade took over, he installed him as the team's #1 receiver and he went onto flourish.  You might say he had a ten cent head, but I say he wasn't given a chance.  The reality was that it's probably somewhere in between.

511520[/snapback]

That is a little bit of a stretch, to say Marv Levy "didn't like him one bit". Marv just rarely played rookies, unless he absolutely had to, he was consistant with that during his tenure with the Bills.

My recollection was that Kelly got off to a miserable start that year, and got "injured". In his place, Todd Collins started, and was the ultimate "caretaker" QB. It was not uncommon for Collins to have as few as 15 attempts a game. When Kelly returned from his injury, he was playing a little better. However, with a banged up Andre Reed and Billy Brooks, Kelly never really developed much of a repore with Moulds.

I also recall, that the last 4 or so games of the season, Moulds got quite a few more opportunities to show what he could do, and played very well...Kelly retired after that season, and the next year was a wash with Todd Collins at QB. Levy, understandably I think, was holding on to the past, and the young guys, like Moulds didn't get a lot of time that year. When Wade came in, the team was in "re-stocking mode" (or so they thought), and Moulds finally got his chance, when they let Billy Brooks go...