why isn't mike williams playing?

dave mcbride

he looked good late last year and appeared to be fine early on this season. rather than throwing him under the bus as a lousy player, wouldn't it be more appropriate to chalk this one up to an actual injury? eric moulds didn't look too good in 2003, but that was because he was hurt, not because he was bad.

I agree, and all kidding aside, his contract is the only real problem.I now have with him.

It's weird, though, how all the "coachspeak"from MM, JMac is about getting the best 5 players in the game, and not too much about MW's injury. Just a weird situation, very hard to read... though definitely not positive for MW .

he looked good late last year and appeared to be fine early on this season. rather than throwing him under the bus as a lousy player, wouldn't it be more appropriate to chalk this one up to an actual injury? eric moulds didn't look too good in 2003, but that was because he was hurt, not because he was bad.

510147[/snapback]

Some players regress. Some players regress badly.

With the Bills offensive line, we should be very used to it. It seems like only yesterday that we'd start to see the line gel the last 4 to 5 games of one season and then the next year they'd look like 5 fat guys pulled out of the stands before kick-off. Year after year...

Kent Hull probably has his cows marching in lines across the field now...

hes not playing because he is consistantly getting beat.

when a TE/practice squad guy takes your spot, and you move to backup OG... somethings wrong with you, and it ant injuries.

he just hasnt played well enough to keep his spot.

'cause he's a fat suck who should take a job slopping chili frito pies at a Sonic down in Austin where some people might remember him when he WAS a football player...

510217[/snapback]

The real question is, can Stojan's grandmother play OL better than MW?

Because if so, I fully expect MW to go to the probowl with some other team, after he's run out of town here.

CW

I've been wondering the same thing ..... to the point that I've been searching web site injury reports ........ Mikes name is never mentioned ....... could it be purly his level of suckatude that has gotten him benched???

I do believe the NFL has rules about hiding injuries doesn't it???? If not the leaguge surely the players union would ensure the injury status of a player is made available.

The real question is, can Stojan's grandmother play OL better than MW?

Because if so, I fully expect MW to go to the probowl with some other team, after he's run out of town here.

CW

510222[/snapback]

I think it would be a pre-qualification to be able to PLAY HERE. Do you really think it is coaching that is preventing him from at least being on the field? he should puch himself away from the KFC all-you-can-eat buffet and man up to his contract...the pathetic waste of a draft choice...

I've got to think that MW hasn't been honest with the team about his injury, maybe because he's worried he's as healed as he's going to get.... ?

I cannot reconcile his looking hobbled with him not even being listed on the injury report.

I thought MW's performance had been around average for a RT this year, though distinctly better early in the season, and worse lately. At this piont I'd take average talent, but between seasons we focus on salary/cap hit, and I can't imaging him coming back at his price.

I think the other factor that was readily noticable is that he's going to get someone killed out there at OLG! He does NOT know how to play there yet! Pure and simple! Will he learn and contribute down the stretch? Who knows! My view is that for the Bills sake, I HOPE he does!

My problem is the whole best 5 players thing. There's 3 weeks left in the season. Isn't a bit friggin' late to see who those players are? Isn't that what training camp is for?

Pure stupidity, I tell ya.

My problem is the whole best 5 players thing. There's 3 weeks left in the season. Isn't a bit friggin' late to see who those players are? Isn't that what training camp is for?

Pure stupidity, I tell ya.

510255[/snapback]

Exactly. Here we are in midseason and the coaches STILL don't know who are best five linemen are? It appears I've been defending these guys for too long. There is simply NO defensive ammunition left. No numbers to toss out. No comparable anecdotes where Team X did Y and went on to win Z games, why can't we? There's nothing left.

There is only sucking.

W/ respect to the 'best 5' I think the only doubt is that Peters might be included (If anything, I'm upset that Preston isn't being considered.) Considering his level of experience at the position, and what appears to be the learning curve, it's quite possible that in training camp he wasn't among the best 5, but after a couple of extra months, he's now at least worthy of consideration.

IMHO, it appears that we have 4-7 players that when considered individually are 'okay', but together as a unit are sub-standard.

W/ respect to the 'best 5' I think the only doubt is that Peters might be included (If anything, I'm upset that Preston isn't being considered.)  Considering his level of experience at the position, and what appears to be the learning curve, it's quite possible that in training camp he wasn't among the best 5, but after a couple of extra months, he's now at least worthy of consideration.

IMHO, it appears that we have 4-7 players that when considered individually are 'okay', but together as a unit are sub-standard.

510299[/snapback]

The mere fact that Peters can even remotely considered as one of our five best linemen on the team just bothers me to no end.

The way I've seen it, when Mike is in there at right tackle, he doesn't show the mobility he showed last year when he was playing well. It also seems, in those rare occasions that we can put drives together, he limps back to the huddle. Not that cute hobble-like waddle that Sam Adams has done just about every day since he arrived, but put-as-little-weight-as-possible-on-the-ankle limp-step. It seems that .75 of MW > 1.00 of Jerman (pointless after Jerman got injured too). With both MW and Jerman injured, they needed to play Peters at tackle for the New England game. It had seemed, after the NE game, that .75 MW < 1.00 Peters, but it was likely more the level of the player across from Peters than a great performance by Peters. My conjecture, not having talked with anyone in the Bills organization (unlike many of you that seem to have "inside knowledge" as to what the players and coaches think), is that during the bye week they started the MW as guard experiment thinking that .75MW would likely be > 1.00Anderson (who was clearly a waste of $$), and that the contained movement of the guard position would reduce the amount of "flare-up" in the ankle, and allow MW to contribute (and also allow Mouse to play MW at the position he openly lobbied to have him at last year). It hasn't worked...yet, and not surprising, as a player who has played one position his whole career is not going to immediately be able to pick up a new position, especially moving from outside to inside the line.

I have seen him out there obviously hobbling yet putting forth an effort to get on the field and stay on the field. I can't believe how people can see that yet insist to call him "lazy" and "unmotivated..." But I guess that makes me a Kool-Aid drinker...

One more thing:

MW has been quoted in the press as saying that, although he will do anything to help the team and will play LG, he has made it crystal clear to management that he'd prefer to stay at RT.

There's something much deeper going on than just the injury/best 5 players deal.

IMO TD is lining up his best play for off-season negotiations.

One more thing:

MW has been quoted in the press as saying that, although he will do anything to help the team and will play LG, he has made it crystal clear to management that he'd prefer to stay at RT.

There's something much deeper going on than just the injury/best 5 players deal.

IMO TD is lining up his best play for off-season negotiations.

510399[/snapback]

Oh, yeah, Mike wants to continue playing his trained position, and certainly money plays into that desire. And certainly TD may look at it as a negotiating ploy to reduce his contract come spring. But Mike is playing along with what the coaches are asking, which seems to run contrary to those who say he's a lazy malcontent...

I  have seen him out there obviously hobbling yet putting forth an effort to get on the field and stay on the field.  I can't believe how people can see that yet insist to call him "lazy" and "unmotivated..."  But I guess that makes me a Kool-Aid drinker...

510354[/snapback]

I comlpetely agree... But why do you think Mike has not been on the injury report?

Oh, yeah, Mike wants to continue playing his trained position, and certainly money plays into that desire.  And certainly TD may look at it as a negotiating ploy to reduce his contract come spring.  But Mike is playing along with what the coaches are asking, which seems to run contrary to those who say he's a lazy malcontent...

510412[/snapback]

I don't think he's a lazy malcontent... not since seeing his play last year anyways. With that contract though, he really needed a big year in 2005... very bad time to get hurt. :)