Tired of the spin from TD, re Williams et al.

jahnyc

I don't blame for drafting M. Williams or trading a number one pick for Drew. I thought that M. Williams was the right pick and many agreed. Same for the trade for Drew. What I don't like is the misinformation that comes from OBD.

Strong support for players and their performance suddenly evapporates and they become the scapegoats. Based on what OBD has said about M. Williams, I really thought he was coming along. I had my doubts, but it is shocking now to see him as a back-up behind B. Anderson. Any why did OBD feel the need to put out information about the poor play of B. McKinnie (I think some of the sports columnists noted this)? I know some of the stuff from OBD is to prop up the egos of the players and to sell tickets, but some realistic statements/evaluations would be appreciated. I am particularly tired of hearing how the o-line is not the problem or how much talent there is on the o-line.

I follow what you're saying, but I think Big Mike still has a hurt ankle. If that's the case, then I can see why they wouldn't want to put him out in space as a tackle, and I follow why they might think that moving him to guard would be a good idea.

I guess all I'm saying is that I'm thinking he's hurt, and they're not sure what to do with him. I could be wrong but that's how I've read the past couple of weeks.

I follow what you're saying, but I think Big Mike still has a hurt ankle.  If that's the case, then I can see why they wouldn't want to put him out in space as a tackle, and I follow why they might think that moving him to guard would be a good idea.

I guess all I'm saying is that I'm thinking he's hurt, and they're not sure what to do with him.  I could be wrong but that's how I've read the past couple of weeks.

507205[/snapback]

No, no, no, I ran into him Wednesday night at BTI while he was eating a bucket of 500 wings. I said "Mike, why are you not playing well?"

Mike looked me straight in the eye and said "I'll tell you the same thing I told my good friends Dawgg, e-dog and DeeRay: I suck and I don't care. I'm just looking for a paycheck and will do as little as possible to get it. I pretended like my ankle was hurt, even faked the tests to make it look good, and tried to sit my ass on the bench for the rest of the year. But the coaches thought they'd put me in at guard. So I purposefully stunk at that so that they'd bench me. Don't listen to the 'injury' spin, don't listen to the pre-season talk I gave about being motivated, about how I showed up at off-season workouts in the best shape of my career. I'm a fat, lazy slob who laughs all the way to the bank every week. Now be useful and pass me the Red Hot. I don't feel like reaching all the way across the table, and all this talking has winded me."

Initially I thought it was the injury issue as well, but some of the statements by McNally and the other stuff that is out there seems to suggest otherwise (i.e., rumours MW will be cut, Bills want him to take a pay cut, etc.). Seems that someone in the Bills organization is talking to the media about MW, and it is not positive.

You have to be patient with him learning the left guard position.

By next training camp you should know what you got. If he rededicates himself to football he could be a force at that position.

Im willing to wait a little longer.

I just don't want him to become an all pro on some other team.

So my rose color glasses are staying on a little longer. :lol:

I think he's worth the risk.

You have to be patient with him learnig the left guard position. By next training camp you should know what you got. If he rededicates himself to football he could

be a force at that position. Im willing to wait a little longer. I just don't want him to

become an all pro on some other team.  So my rose color glasses are staying on

a little longer. I think he's worth the risk.

507217[/snapback]

Give me a break: this is his 4th year, that's F-O-U-R years.

:lol:

Initially I thought it was the injury issue as well, but some of the statements by McNally and the other stuff that is out there seems to suggest otherwise (i.e., rumours MW will be cut, Bills want him to take a pay cut, etc.).  Seems that someone in the Bills organization is talking to the media about MW, and it is not positive.

507209[/snapback]

Fair enough. I didn't catch Mouse McNally's comments. The "cut or re-do the deal" thing is fair IMO. They took a chance on a guy that, as you said in your first post above, was supposed to be a franchise-calibre OT.

He's had some tough luck with injuries, rolling his truck before a game, and the death of a close family member. Even so, he's been somewhat underwhelming. I can better justify giving a franchise OT big money, especially if he was on the left side, but he's been "solid" at his best, and certainly not worth 10 million.

I hope he agrees to a new deal and sticks around, but I seem to think a little more highly of him than many of my fellow Bills fans do.

No, no, no, I ran into him Wednesday night at BTI while he was eating a bucket of 500 wings.  I said "Mike, why are you not playing well?"

Mike looked me straight in the eye and said "I'll tell you the same thing I told my good friends Dawgg, e-dog and DeeRay: I suck and I don't care.  I'm just looking for a paycheck and will do as little as possible to get it.  I pretended like my ankle was hurt, even faked the tests to make it look good, and tried to sit my ass on the bench for the rest of the year.  But the coaches thought they'd put me in at guard.  So I purposefully stunk at that so that they'd bench me.  Don't listen to the 'injury' spin, don't listen to the pre-season talk I gave about being motivated, about how I showed up at off-season workouts in the best shape of my career.  I'm a fat, lazy slob who laughs all the way to the bank every week.  Now be useful and pass me the Red Hot.  I don't feel like reaching all the way across the table, and all this talking has winded me."

507207[/snapback]

Your report may sound bleak, but becoming a self-actualizing person is a key step in the process of fulfilling one's potential. :( Godspeed, MW. :lol:

A General Manager making mistakes is one thing... they all do. I think that TD is an egomaniac, however. Not only the McKinnie situation, but his comments about Drew having success this year... "Wait until they see him the second time around"... I am disappointed by the lack of class he has displayed in both instances.

He could not co-exist with Cowher and wants puppets for coaches. I can live with his mistakes (he has his share of "wins", also) but I have no respect for him. He would have a better future as a politician than as a "football man".

I don't blame for drafting M. Williams or trading a number one pick for Drew.  I thought that M. Williams was the right pick and many agreed.  Same for the trade for Drew.  What I don't like is the misinformation that comes from OBD.

Strong support for players and their performance suddenly evapporates and they become the scapegoats.  Based on what OBD has said about M. Williams, I really thought he was coming along.  I had my doubts, but it is shocking now to see him as a back-up behind B. Anderson.  Any why did OBD feel the need to put out information about the poor play of B. McKinnie (I think some of the sports columnists noted this)?  I know some of the stuff from OBD is to prop up the egos of the players and to sell tickets, but some realistic statements/evaluations would be appreciated.  I am particularly tired of hearing how the o-line is not the problem or how much talent there is on the o-line.

507171[/snapback]

This is a business of pleasing the fans and filling seats unfortunately...Winning games is secondary.

I aslo think he is injured and I definatley think he needs to lose weight. He is listed at 6-6 360 lbs. Jonathan Ogden is 6-9 345, Orlando Pace is 6-7 325, and Walter Jones is 6-5 308. He needs to get his a$$ in shape while maintaining his strength. Yeah I know they are left tackles but so what, lol. He is only 25, so they need to tell him to get his act together or cut him.

I don't blame for drafting M. Williams or trading a number one pick for Drew.  I thought that M. Williams was the right pick and many agreed.  Same for the trade for Drew.  What I don't like is the misinformation that comes from OBD.

Strong support for players and their performance suddenly evapporates and they become the scapegoats.  Based on what OBD has said about M. Williams, I really thought he was coming along.  I had my doubts, but it is shocking now to see him as a back-up behind B. Anderson.  Any why did OBD feel the need to put out information about the poor play of B. McKinnie (I think some of the sports columnists noted this)?  I know some of the stuff from OBD is to prop up the egos of the players and to sell tickets, but some realistic statements/evaluations would be appreciated.  I am particularly tired of hearing how the o-line is not the problem or how much talent there is on the o-line.

507171[/snapback]

The line has been a problem for years and nothing has changed recently. Blaming the old QB was pretty assinine and now has come to bite management and the coaching staff in the ass. McNally is not the miracle worker many have proclaimed here.

Some of us choose to see things objectively and tend to see this while watching or reviewing the game afterward.

I'm sure Willis feels he's the best back out there but until you got that wall in front of you, it's best to bite your tongue and not make yourself a jackass to the whole nation.

No, no, no, I ran into him Wednesday night at BTI while he was eating a bucket of 500 wings.  I said "Mike, why are you not playing well?"

Mike looked me straight in the eye and said "I'll tell you the same thing I told my good friends Dawgg, e-dog and DeeRay: I suck and I don't care.  I'm just looking for a paycheck and will do as little as possible to get it.  I pretended like my ankle was hurt, even faked the tests to make it look good, and tried to sit my ass on the bench for the rest of the year.  But the coaches thought they'd put me in at guard.  So I purposefully stunk at that so that they'd bench me.  Don't listen to the 'injury' spin, don't listen to the pre-season talk I gave about being motivated, about how I showed up at off-season workouts in the best shape of my career.  I'm a fat, lazy slob who laughs all the way to the bank every week.  Now be useful and pass me the Red Hot.  I don't feel like reaching all the way across the table, and all this talking has winded me."

507207[/snapback]

0:) outstanding! From my "sources" here in TX, MW doesn't even care if he gets cut because he's already made enough to retire. But he wants to move to san antonio because we are one of the fattest cities in america and we wants to help bring the outright title to San Antone. So his eating of 500 wings is not him being fat...that's him being a team player.

Give me a break: this is his 4th year, that's F-O-U-R years.

0:)

507222[/snapback]

Waaaaaah! I want it now!!!

We will see if he develops, sorry if you don't have the patience, but MTV is there, and they will change what they do every 45 seconds to keep you occupied

Waaaaaah! I want it now!!!

We will see if he develops, sorry if you don't have the patience, but MTV is there, and they will change what they do every 45 seconds to keep you occupied

507464[/snapback]

LOL.

Are you serious? Sorry, can't tell.

I can tell you one thing though, he HAS developed: into

a huge, salary cap eating tub of goo sitting on the bench!

0:)

Just imagine where he can be in four more years, practice squad?

"I'll tell you the same thing I told my good friends Dawgg, e-dog and DeeRay: I suck and I don't care.

Come on Dan, I thought you were better than that. Let's be fair here. Try to be objective. Don't get hung up on the messengers and your persoanl differences with said messengers. Concentrate on the issues, please. Mike Williams is a physically gifted athlete, regardless of his size... would you agree or disagree to that?

If you disagree, then the argument is over and I can't fathom why anyone would use a #4 pick on him.

However, if you agree that he is physically gifted, then there are really only two possibilities regarding Mike's failure to play up to his salary, because we know he has intelligence and he artculates fairly well. Either he's hurt, or he just does not have the passion to play the game on this level that one needs to have. If there's something else I'm missing... please chime in and bring those other possibilities forward.

Now... let's examine possibility number one... he's hurt

Why would the team take an injured player and...

1) move him to a position he's never played?

2) start him ahead of a player who has logged significant NFL starts at that position and in the process leave Mike's more important RT starting position in the hands of a player that has never started an NFL game at that position?

If he's hurt, he's hurt... and he just doesn't play.

Now let's examine the lack of passion for the game issue.

1) There are enough stories swrling around in the media out there that say he doesn't have the mental toughness (passion) to play this game. OK, the media stories alone are not reason enough to make this true. Media is media and they aren't always right and not always wrong. But, they do have stories to write and news to sell... so they can get over zealous. But, in all fairness, where there is smoke there is usually some fire... I said some. So, I believe worst case scenario, there is some truth to what the media has reported... based on their sources.

2)Just evaluate Mike's play. He has showed a lot of potential at times, played well, at times. But he's also become "high maintenance". The issue in training camp a year ago in which a #4 pick.... expected to not only fulfill and and solidify a RT position as well as a leadership role on this team comes to camp at over 400 lbs., out of shape, loses his starting position, then gets fined for missing practices, and then has to coddled because there was some depression or some component of depression that he was experiencing, is not a good way for him to demonstrate committment to the role he is expected to play. Mind you, his replacement, Marcus Price, who many feel out performed Mike, is no longer in the NFL, and there are plenty of NFL teams that could use a competent tackle right now (the Patriots, Jets, and Cards to mention a few).

When you add everything up and then add up what the Bills have paid out to this guy over the past 3.5 seasons and then look back and add up his accomplishments, something doesn't seem right, would you agree?

I'd like to know what your officail "spin" on Mike is. Do the Bills keep him at $7m next year. If so, why, if not, why? and If so, what position does he play?