All this hype about the Chargers

Like A Mofo

Seems there is SO much hype about the Chargers...and yes, offensively, with Gates and LT, they are a nightmare to matchup with....but has anyone seen their defense, especially their pass defense?! Putrid!!!! And get in a close game with Marty..Ill take my chances with his conservative style and questionable playcalling.

Sure, the Bills will have a hard time stopping SD, but why cant the Bills move the ball on SD's defense if Brooks Bollinger can??

Discuss.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter if the 'Bolts run all over us. The Chiefs did, but the D came up big by limiting the blitz (FINALLY) and keeping them out of the end zone. If the D can hold San Diego to 3's and JP (hopefully JP) can be accurate - then who knows, after all, hope dies last :rolleyes:

Seems there is SO much hype about the Chargers...and yes, offensively, with Gates and LT, they are a nightmare to matchup with....but has anyone seen their defense, especially their pass defense?!  Putrid!!!! And get in a close game with Marty..Ill take my chances with his conservative style and questionable playcalling.

Sure, the Bills will have a hard time stopping SD, but why cant the Bills move the ball on SD's defense if Brooks Bollinger can??

Discuss.

504495[/snapback]

Come on man. It's amazing how one win at home can cloud everyone's mind. The Bills on the road.....against a team off of a bye......on the west coast. That spells disaster.

Now, add in that the Bills are pathetic on the road under TD / MM / and GW period. This includes losing records against teams under .500, over .500, you name it. This is true this year, last year etc......

So, what's going to change? This is going to be the best team we've played this year by far. SD has played a horrid schedule, and now that they've hit a soft spot vs. us at home, there's no way they overlook this game.

It's not going to change because we actually beat a mediocre team at home. Let's just hope JP continues to mature and continues to progress in a tough road environment. That would be a major plus for the Bills instead of worrying about us winning the AFC East at 7-9.

chances are we will lose this game, but i do think the chargers have become the over rated under rated team.

every year people like to pick the dark horse, and this year it was the chargers (last year it was cincy, year before it was the colts). the way the TV people pick the dark horse is to pick a really good team, but not the champs or the odds on favorites, so the chargers are it this year.

they have weapons, but are the least consistent team in the NFL.

with their sloppy ass corners (jeez jammer was taken 1 pick after mike williams, that is 3 texas picks in the top 5 in two years if you include davis who are hoping to keep starting) they tend to be wide open for bombs. they also don't have that great of an o line.

if losman plays fearlessly and chucks it deep we have a shot

I think they are #1 against the RUN......Wade Phillips knows how to stop

the Run...Even when he was the DC here, we were the top Run defense..

The reason his pass defense is bad is his bend-but-don't-break philosophy...

If I remember the bills Pass D under him used to give up lots of yards , but

very few points.....At the goalline his D is usually very stout.

504698[/snapback]

All points to us taking shots at the end zone as we did with KC and not really ahve to venture close to the red zone. :rolleyes: This may be a good match up when we are on O. But I primarily worry about our rush D.

It's not going to change because we actually beat a mediocre team at home.  Let's just hope JP continues to mature and continues to progress in a tough road environment.  That would be a major plus for the Bills instead of worrying about us winning the AFC East at 7-9.

504556[/snapback]

DING ..... DING ..... DING ..... DING

While I hope we win this game ...... and would be estatic to win the division (even at 7-9). The real thing we need to look for this game is for JP to either sustaine (or improve) on the accuracy of his passes from last week. For JP to start "stretching the field" instead of throwing the 1 and 2 yard passes we've been seeing all season. I think JP showed quite a bit of improvement last week, now he needs to show a little bit each and every week .... he needs to get comfortable with ALL of his recievers ..... he needs to gain increased confidence in his own abilities.

While I was in favor of JP's benching ..... ih can become (or atleast SHOULD be able to become) a quality QB, he has had his rude awakening to the quality of the play in the NFL .... he just needs to step up his learning curve.

Bottom line I guess ............ we very well may ...... hell we'll most likely lose the GAME pretty damn bad ........ but we very well may win the war by developing JP.

It doesn't matter if the 'Bolts run all over us.  The Chiefs did, but the D came up big by limiting the blitz (FINALLY) and keeping them out of the end zone.  If the D can hold San Diego to 3's and JP (hopefully JP) can be accurate - then who knows, after all, hope dies last  :rolleyes:

504512[/snapback]

And yet it does matter, because unlike LJ and Curtis Martin Tomlinson has a nose for the end zone. If he breaks a run on this defense, it's going to be 6 points. And while I think you can run all day on the SD defense, I don't think that the Bills have the firepower to get into a shootout with the Bolts and win.

504698[/snapback]

They are #1 in yards/games, but they are #31 in attempts against/game. When your pass defense is suspect teams aren't going to run on you all day...

Further, the only top ten runner they've faced (total yards) is Tiki Barber, and he had 15 carries (for 60 yards) against them.

Chargers built a reputation based on last year's performance. Last year they got their record pretty much the same way the Bills got theirs: by beating a bunch of non-playoff teams. You do have to give them credit as they were able to beat all the non-playoff teams they faced (unlike the Bills last year), but when it came to facing teams that made the playoffs, they had one victory, and that was against a divisional foe.

This year they are looking to repeat that pattern. Of course that means with us being a "non-playoff" team they should beat us. But I have trouble figuring out what all the hoopla is about them sometimes too...

And yet it does matter, because unlike LJ and Curtis Martin Tomlinson has a nose for the end zone. If he breaks a run on this defense, it's going to be 6 points. And while I think you can run all day on the SD defense, I don't think that the Bills have the firepower to get into a shootout with the Bolts and win.

In addition, folks seem to forget the whuppin the bolts laid on the Pats a few weeks ago.

Gray's defense likes to play Milloy up in the box. Well, if Gates is lined up on the same side as Milloy, you can bet that Milloy is going to have to honor Gates' receiving ability and back off on the run support to some degree.... OK if your facing a slug RB, but not Tomilinson.

I fully expect the bolts to run it straight up the middle (where the Bills are most vulnerable)... just like they did against the Pats. It could be a long day...

I fully expect the bolts to run it straight up the middle (where the Bills are most vulnerable)... just like they did against the Pats.  It could be a long day...

504754[/snapback]

Look no further than the game they had against the Jets, who have many of the same defensive weaknesses the Bills do. That game was ugly with a capital U, and they were on the road.

Look no further than the game they had against the Jets, who have many of the same defensive weaknesses the Bills do.  That game was ugly with a capital U, and they were on the road.

504762[/snapback]

They also barely squeaked by the Brooks Bollinger-led Jets, as ugly as it was....

like all phillips Ds, the chargers don't get many turnovers.

brees is also likely to drop the ball or chuck it into the D when pressued (he runs from sacks and wings passes all the time, only his munchkin ass throws almost underhand).

we will give up some runs to LT, and a couple passes to a wide open gates, but we will also take the ball away and exploit their terrible secondary.

if willis gets past the line he has a good chance to eat up chunks of yardage.

we might decide to lay an egg against these guys on the road, but i think our D in NE and last week are showing confidence and are forcing turnovers and not getting discouraged.

after a big run or bad 3rd down we used to look panicky, now we just seem to keep on bringing it.

good test for our team this week

504698[/snapback]

Oh, and as to the "bend-don't-break" they are 20th in points allowed/game...only two teams have scored less than 20 on them...

It doesn't matter if the 'Bolts run all over us.  The Chiefs did, but the D came up big by limiting the blitz (FINALLY) and keeping them out of the end zone.  If the D can hold San Diego to 3's and JP (hopefully JP) can be accurate - then who knows, after all, hope dies last  :)

504512[/snapback]

Yep, all they have to do is get 4-5 turnovers and we are all set.

I am hopeful to but the only way you allow a guy to run over you for a buck 50 and get kiled in the total yardage, first down and TOP stats and still win the game is with turnovers, lots of them. You can't really count on those to bail you out, especially on the road in good weather. We need to stop them the old fashioned way, by tackling.