Becoming a contender in 2006

Mikie2times

with TT's costs off the books, and IF we cut or reneg big mike and moulds, we should be in solid cap shape. i could see milloy or london being cut or blend and extend targets too.

signing clements would be a huge plus, and i don't think his stats look that good this year compared to angelo, mcgee or even vincent and milloy, so he shouldnt' get that top top dollar pay (how smart was signing mcgee anyhow? he really looks solid as a corner).

that leaves us in the running for bently and hutch. i'd like us to get both, but if only one i'd take bently, he is a monster in the middle.

if we keep mike we might move peters to LT, or mike might work out at RG, or we could draft an LT on day one.

preston to LG or a first day guard would be an upgrade at LG too, so we have a couple options on how to upgrade our line.

we need to grab the best DT or 2 we can find in the draft, and grady jackson wouldn't hurt either. i'd like to keep sam, but he isn't doing it that well here.

we might be able to cut moulds, but i really think a pay cut and extention would work.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QB- Find out if JP is the guy for next year, if so he’s the starter, and have Kelly playing back up. We should also use a late round pick in the draft to replace the aging Matthews, and serve as a solid #2 option when Kelly leaves.

RB- Draft a player that can play in a few games if Willis ever goes down.  Shaud is a change up back, and decent receiver out of the backfield, but he just isn’t a player that can start for us and get 25 carries. I was hoping Gates could be that player, and he looked decent at times in the preseason but he has yet to record a carry this year. Other needs might force us to hold serve here.

WR- Cut Eric Moulds, and try and land Reggie Wayne as a FA. Eric Moulds costs over 10 million on the 2006 cap, no way does he see that money, and IMO 2005 was the last time the Bills will try and restructure him.  It would be risky to go into 2006 with Lee unproven as a #1, and Roscoe still unproven as a #3 let alone a #2. Moulds isn’t affordable, and Wayne won’t be cheap either, but the combination of Wayne,  Evans, and Parrish would give us some serious young talent at WR.  With other needs we can’t afford to draft another WR early, so it’s not difficult to picture TD going after the only potential #1 in FA this year. 

TE- Cambell is a solid blocking TE, and after drafting Everett last year we need to find out if he is going to give us that athletic TE before we pursue other options.

T-Peters at RT, and Gandy at LT is a combination I can live with. Both are affordable, and both should improve as Peters has virtually no experience and Gandy split time at G while in Chicago. I would also decide to part ways with Mike Williams. Williams isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be, but the cap situation is forcing either a renegotiation or a cut.  I have argued before for a renegotation, but now I just don’t see it being in our best interests. A successful switch to G for Mike seems very unlikely, and he can’t stay healthy. With Jason Peters making pennies, not getting injured, and possessing potential at RT why would we want to sign Mike back to a deal that he would have to accept (don’t expect him to willingly take a 6 million dollar pay cut, or Ralph to shell out a huge signing bonus given the circumstances). I would finally like to see us spend our 2nd round pick, or additional 1st if we get that for Nate on one of the drafts talented LT’s.

G- CV is solid when healthy, and I don’t feel like it’s a pressing need to replace him. The same cant be said about LG, a position that really needs our attention.  If TD wants to prove to everybody he is serious about upgrading this line we should make a run a Steve Hutchinson, one of the leagues best LG’s.

C- Out with Trey Teague in with the Duke. It’s pretty obvious the Bills intended on Duke replacing Teague when he becomes a FA next year, and I see no reason to think anything has changed given their two performances this season.

DE- Of course I would like to see an upgrade at DE like John Abraham but it won’t happen and probably shouldn’t given the rest of our priorities. Schobel signed an extension last season so you know he’s entrenched at RE.  At LE Raheem Brock is available from the Colts, but his production would probably equal Kelsey’s anyway. Don’t expect the Bills to do any major upgrading at DE this off-season.

DT- This is probably the most difficult task for the 2006 season. Sam Adams can still be a good DT with that big cog next to him, but it appears like he might have outlasted his welcome with the Bills defensive staff. Many think Grey will go but I don’t see that happening, if he stays we still need to get that massive DT to eat up blockers as its obviously critical to this defense. Sam is massive but he can’t fill that role, but a player that could is Grady Jackson from GB. He’ll be 33 next year but in terms of FA DT’s he is the only real OL eating DT available. GB is playing decent run defense this year so Jackson could be an affordable solution for a couple years. I then think we should draft DT with our first rounder, the guy I like is Ngata from Oregon. He’s supposed to be the best interior pass rusher in the draft, really looks like he has a great future.

OLB- Crowell has to remain a starter next year, and if TKO returns that might mean Posey becomes a back up.  It also probably wouldn’t hurt to look at an OLB in this years draft at some point. We just don’t know about Takeo’s health and with that factor involved it gives us little depth at OLB.

MLB- I don’t see the need to mess with this spot as an improved interior line should be enough to take care of any problems London’s been having.

CB- Franchise and trade Nate. He’s worth a ton to this team and I hate to see him go but we can’t shell out the money he will be getting. He will get us an additional #1, or at the very least a high #2, which I factored in earlier in getting a LT. To replace Nate we should probably look at FA as opposed to the draft. I like Jerry Azumah a starter from the Bears, or Will Allen of the Giants. King should then finish the unit off as our Nickel guy. I expect some drop off without Nate but I doubt a unit comprised of these players would be our downfall, and a more talented DL should make it much easier on our secondary.

FS- Our safeties make to much money, and while Vincent has made some picks at FS he isn’t a very consistent player. I say we make the move to Baker right now and see if we can possibly count on him next season. If not keep Vincent around until we have a viable replacement, either way I would like to look at FS with one of the 3rd rounders.

SS- Like FS I would like to get a little younger at SS, but with everything else we need to address Milloy isn’t a pressing issue. Perhaps we could match our 3rd round FS with a 3rd round SS, or later in the draft pick pick up a raw SS prospect.  If we don’t address SS at all this year I fully expect the Bills to draft a SS in 2007.

K- Rian Lindell has had a great year up until today, let’s wait and see how he closes out the year before we say anything about his future status. If we do wan’t to switch kickers 3 of the best are available in Neil Rackers, Vinateri, and Vanderjacht.

502290[/snapback]

WRONG on DE. Schobel is NOT sufficient..and puts NO pressure on good teams.This has a ripple affect all the way from the linebackers to the safeties.

WRONG on DE. Schobel is NOT sufficient..and puts NO pressure on good teams.This has a ripple affect all the way from the linebackers to the safeties.

502818[/snapback]

What’s been a bigger problem for this team, the interior line or Aaron Schobel?

The goal for next year should be to get younger at certain positions, purge any massive contracts, and upgrade the talent in the places we need it the most. If you don't want Schobel anymore then suggest a viable solution at DT, and DE, and don't just say FA's because the market is thin at both those positions. Also how do you figure we do anything with Schobel after TD just extended him last season?

The goal for next year should be to get younger at certain positions, purge any massive contracts, and upgrade the talent in the places we need it the most. If you don't want Schobel anymore then suggest a viable solution at DT, and DE, and don't just say FA's because the market is thin at both those positions. Also how do you figure we do anything with Schobel after TD just extended him last season?

502831[/snapback]

He fails to see that the sub par D-line has a ripple effect on the rest of the defense, not vice versa. gSure, schobel aint freeny or peppers, but get some good DT's in here, teams will have to start worrying about the middle, and that will free schobel up on the outside and he can be more of a force.

I have heard the OL from UVA is going to be a hot commodity

I agree with how we should spend the Picks, and wanted to add a day 1 Mock to the orginal post anyway so hear it goes.

Day 1

#1A- DT Haloti Ngata- Oregon

#1B- LT Marcus McNeill- Auburn

#2-  FS Nate Sally- Ohio State

#3A- G Mark Setterstrom- Minnesota

#3B- OLB/SS- Terna Nande- Miami (Ohio)

502796[/snapback]

2nd rd. is to high to take a fs on this team, much more greater needs. And Baker will be fine.

1st - ot or dt

2nd - whichever you didn't get in 1st

3rd- best ol or dt available.

3rd- best ol or dt available.

First four picks in the three rounds, two o-line @ two d-line. no bs from TD, it's plain and simple.

4th-7th rds - two lb's and two db's.

I have heard the OL from UVA is going to be a hot commodity

502893[/snapback]

D'Brickashaw Ferguson is the guy you’re thinking of, and it would be hard to see him fall past the top 3 picks. I expect the Bills to be anywhere from 8-16, and if we trade Nate it will probably net us a pick between 20-30.

At 8-16 DT makes a lot of sense and Ngata should be available for us in that range. After that a deep LT class might allow us to pick up a future bookend if Nate gets us back in the first round. A few of the LT prospects may end up being RT’s at the next level, but a player like Marcus McNeill is not one of those guys. He’s one of the more polished LT’s in the draft, but a few other guys might have enough upside to let McNeil fall down to us.

2nd rd. is to high to take a fs on this team, much more greater needs. And Baker will be fine.

1st - ot or dt

2nd - whichever you didn't get in 1st

3rd-  best ol or dt available.

3rd-  best ol or dt available.

First four picks in the three rounds, two o-line @ two d-line. no bs from TD, it's plain and simple.

4th-7th rds - two lb's and two db's.

502914[/snapback]

I agree that Baker might pan out, and in the original post I suggested we play him now to find out if he is the future. If that doesn't work out then the 2nd round is not to early to go FS as long as we address T and DT in the 1st. I have us trading Nate allowing us tp get that DT and LT in round 1, and if that doesn't happen then I agree we have more pressing needs then a FS in the 2nd.

Wayne will want big dollars! He is a product of the system in indi and benefits greatly from Harrison playing on the other side. Might turn into a Peerles when he is the "go to guy".

502524[/snapback]

It's difficult to project Wayne as a true #1 but having Lee will not allow teams to treat him as a true #1 so I it probably wouldn't become an issue. I have us cutting Moulds, but I probably should have thrown a big asterisk next to it saying that it's only because of his cap implifications. This offense would certainly miss Moulds, and if we let him go it would be a mistake to assume a journeymen type WR could fill the void.

If Lee becomes the focus of coordinators he likely struggles out the gate for awhile and these slow starts have been killing us the last few years. The FA options include Givens, Wayne, Randell-El, and Joe Jurevicous, and out of that group Wayne brings the most explosiveness to the table. His contract figures to be large but we could try and structure it in a way that allows us to fit him in next year as his numbers wouldn't be a problem down the road as our dead cap hits fall off.

QB- Find out if JP is the guy for next year, if so he’s the starter, and have Kelly playing back up. We should also use a late round pick in the draft to replace the aging Matthews, and serve as a solid #2 option when Kelly leaves.

RB- Draft a player that can play in a few games if Willis ever goes down.  Shaud is a change up back, and decent receiver out of the backfield, but he just isn’t a player that can start for us and get 25 carries. I was hoping Gates could be that player, and he looked decent at times in the preseason but he has yet to record a carry this year. Other needs might force us to hold serve here.

WR- Cut Eric Moulds, and try and land Reggie Wayne as a FA. Eric Moulds costs over 10 million on the 2006 cap, no way does he see that money, and IMO 2005 was the last time the Bills will try and restructure him.  It would be risky to go into 2006 with Lee unproven as a #1, and Roscoe still unproven as a #3 let alone a #2. Moulds isn’t affordable, and Wayne won’t be cheap either, but the combination of Wayne,  Evans, and Parrish would give us some serious young talent at WR.  With other needs we can’t afford to draft another WR early, so it’s not difficult to picture TD going after the only potential #1 in FA this year. 

TE- Cambell is a solid blocking TE, and after drafting Everett last year we need to find out if he is going to give us that athletic TE before we pursue other options.

T-Peters at RT, and Gandy at LT is a combination I can live with. Both are affordable, and both should improve as Peters has virtually no experience and Gandy split time at G while in Chicago. I would also decide to part ways with Mike Williams. Williams isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be, but the cap situation is forcing either a renegotiation or a cut.  I have argued before for a renegotation, but now I just don’t see it being in our best interests. A successful switch to G for Mike seems very unlikely, and he can’t stay healthy. With Jason Peters making pennies, not getting injured, and possessing potential at RT why would we want to sign Mike back to a deal that he would have to accept (don’t expect him to willingly take a 6 million dollar pay cut, or Ralph to shell out a huge signing bonus given the circumstances). I would finally like to see us spend our 2nd round pick, or additional 1st if we get that for Nate on one of the drafts talented LT’s.

G- CV is solid when healthy, and I don’t feel like it’s a pressing need to replace him. The same cant be said about LG, a position that really needs our attention.  If TD wants to prove to everybody he is serious about upgrading this line we should make a run a Steve Hutchinson, one of the leagues best LG’s.

C- Out with Trey Teague in with the Duke. It’s pretty obvious the Bills intended on Duke replacing Teague when he becomes a FA next year, and I see no reason to think anything has changed given their two performances this season.

DE- Of course I would like to see an upgrade at DE like John Abraham but it won’t happen and probably shouldn’t given the rest of our priorities. Schobel signed an extension last season so you know he’s entrenched at RE.  At LE Raheem Brock is available from the Colts, but his production would probably equal Kelsey’s anyway. Don’t expect the Bills to do any major upgrading at DE this off-season.

DT- This is probably the most difficult task for the 2006 season. Sam Adams can still be a good DT with that big cog next to him, but it appears like he might have outlasted his welcome with the Bills defensive staff. Many think Grey will go but I don’t see that happening, if he stays we still need to get that massive DT to eat up blockers as its obviously critical to this defense. Sam is massive but he can’t fill that role, but a player that could is Grady Jackson from GB. He’ll be 33 next year but in terms of FA DT’s he is the only real OL eating DT available. GB is playing decent run defense this year so Jackson could be an affordable solution for a couple years. I then think we should draft DT with our first rounder, the guy I like is Ngata from Oregon. He’s supposed to be the best interior pass rusher in the draft, really looks like he has a great future.

OLB- Crowell has to remain a starter next year, and if TKO returns that might mean Posey becomes a back up.  It also probably wouldn’t hurt to look at an OLB in this years draft at some point. We just don’t know about Takeo’s health and with that factor involved it gives us little depth at OLB.

MLB- I don’t see the need to mess with this spot as an improved interior line should be enough to take care of any problems London’s been having.

CB- Franchise and trade Nate. He’s worth a ton to this team and I hate to see him go but we can’t shell out the money he will be getting. He will get us an additional #1, or at the very least a high #2, which I factored in earlier in getting a LT. To replace Nate we should probably look at FA as opposed to the draft. I like Jerry Azumah a starter from the Bears, or Will Allen of the Giants. King should then finish the unit off as our Nickel guy. I expect some drop off without Nate but I doubt a unit comprised of these players would be our downfall, and a more talented DL should make it much easier on our secondary.

FS- Our safeties make to much money, and while Vincent has made some picks at FS he isn’t a very consistent player. I say we make the move to Baker right now and see if we can possibly count on him next season. If not keep Vincent around until we have a viable replacement, either way I would like to look at FS with one of the 3rd rounders.

SS- Like FS I would like to get a little younger at SS, but with everything else we need to address Milloy isn’t a pressing issue. Perhaps we could match our 3rd round FS with a 3rd round SS, or later in the draft pick pick up a raw SS prospect.  If we don’t address SS at all this year I fully expect the Bills to draft a SS in 2007.

K- Rian Lindell has had a great year up until today, let’s wait and see how he closes out the year before we say anything about his future status. If we do wan’t to switch kickers 3 of the best are available in Neil Rackers, Vinateri, and Vanderjacht.

502290[/snapback]

Well said, good post. But the LT position is not one that we could live with. Maybe this year, but next year? Gandy is a decent player and a good backup. maybe next year he could switch to LG. However, we need to upgrade that position.

Well said, good post.  But the LT position is not one that we could live with.  Maybe this year, but next year?  Gandy is a decent player and a good backup.  maybe next year he could switch to LG.  However, we need to upgrade that position.

502960[/snapback]

Gandy is serviceable, and I still have us going with a LT in a pick we will acquire from trading Nate Clements. When you look at what’s available in FA at LT, our best option right now is to get a LT in the draft (assuming DT is taken care of) and let him and Gandy fight it out next year. Gandy probably beats out a rookie as rookie LT's usually take at least a year to get used to the NFL but past that Gandy could shift into a T/G back up role and the drafted player could be our future book end.

502831[/snapback]

I have NO idea how we deal with the situation...no answers sorry.......but with Schobel in there giving all the good teams QBs time enough to have tea and crumpets while they look for a receiver who will eventually get open...-this team is cooked anyway.Having a mediocre DE puts incredible pressure on our D--and will always prevent us from becoming contenders.SO---fix it SOMEHOW----..

He fails to see that the sub par D-line has a ripple effect on the rest of the defense, not vice versa. gSure, schobel aint freeny or peppers, but get some good DT's in here, teams will have to start worrying about the middle, and that will free schobel up on the outside and he can be more of a force.

502888[/snapback]

WHAT?--how can they put less than one man on Schobel??

I think at some point Lee Evans has to become the go-to-guy...that Moulds has been here for close to a decade...

502593[/snapback]

The problem is that Evans doesn't have the height or weight of Moulds. I love the idea of throwing to Evans early and often. There's nothing quite like buring a defense with speed. But you also need a tall, big, physical WR to outmuscle DBs and catch passes in traffic. Evans can never be that.

I agree with how we should spend the Picks, and wanted to add a day 1 Mock to the orginal post anyway so hear it goes.

Day 1

#1A- DT Haloti Ngata- Oregon

#1B- LT Marcus McNeill- Auburn

#2-   FS Nate Sally- Ohio State

#3A- G Mark Setterstrom- Minnesota

#3B- OLB/SS- Terna Nande- Miami (Ohio)

502796[/snapback]

McNeill isn't a guy I'd count on being a LT, though he is playing there this year I'd much rather have D'Brickshaw Ferguson or Eric Winston and even rate Jonathan Scott higher with the latter two likely available with our first pick. If looking for a wide body/run stuffing DT we could likely get Babatunde Oshinowo from Stanford in Round 2.

McNeill isn't a guy I'd count on being a LT, though he is playing there this year I'd much rather have D'Brickshaw Ferguson or Eric Winston and even rate Jonathan Scott higher with the latter two likely available with our first pick. If looking for a run stuff wide body DT we could likely get Babatunde Oshinowo from Stanford in Round 2.

503132[/snapback]

It likely all those Tackles would be gone by the time I have us taking a Tackle (between 20-30 in trade for Nate). I just don't think we should wait for one second to get our DT, it's far too important to these teams immediate chances, and we don't have a lot of options in FA.

The problem is that Evans doesn't have the height or weight of Moulds. I love the idea of throwing to Evans early and often. There's nothing quite like buring a defense with speed. But you also need a tall, big, physical WR to outmuscle DBs and catch passes in traffic. Evans can never be that.

503033[/snapback]

I've said it in the past and contend that Evans reminds me of Terry Glenn in size and ability. While Glenn did well as a #1 as a rookie he's been at his best as a compliment/1A type guy. I'll agree we need a bigger body to compliment him but he doesn't necessarly have to be in Moulds' class. If we do cut ties with Moulds, I think that Antonio Bryant and David Givens would be worth persuing or if looking for possible cuts a guy like Amani Toomer might be a short term answer.

It likely all those Tackles would be gone by the time I have us taking a Tackle (between 20-30 in trade for Nate). I just don't think we should wait for one second to get our DT, it's far too important to these teams immediate chances, and we don't have a lot of options in FA.

503148[/snapback]

The free agent landscape is a little better then most think if going for 1 DT (Adams is still under contract for next year and until waived still count him on the team). Guys I like are Ryan Pickett, Rocky Bernard, Russell Davis, Willie Whitehead (listed as a DE but been a tweener most of his career), Damione Lewis have made my short list thus far. I think we can land one of them to start next to Adams and thusly draft Oshinowo to replace Adams in 2007.

The free agent landscape is a little better then most think if going for 1 DT (Adams is still under contract for next year and until waived still count him on the team). Guys I like are Ryan Pickett, Rocky Bernard, Russell Davis, Willie Whitehead (listed as a DE but been a tweener most of his career), Damione Lewis have made my short list thus far. I think we can land one of them to start next to Adams and thusly draft Oshinowo to replace Adams in 2007.

503162[/snapback]

I don't think we can count on Sam Adams another season. Two straight years we have evidence of him playing outside the system, and it's obvious that kills our defense. Even if we kept him who on that list is the type of OL eating DT we need to compliment Sam? I suggested Ngata and Grady Jackson as next year’s duo, but regardless this is still very early even for speculating. I imagine the direction we go with the first pick will certainly be influenced if we can get one more 1st for Nate.