Why Jerry Sullivan is a dick. Reason #235

Kelly the Dog

The Vikings' offense sucks.  Worse than ours. 

But McKinnie has to be good because the stats say so.  :wacko:

499859[/snapback]

Vikes have had one of the best offenses in the NFL during McKinnie's career, Bills have had one of the worst during Williams'.

Sounded good though. :lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What isn't is the idea, IMO, that it is automatically a demotion. I think Big Mike has been a disappointment this season, most of which has been due to his injury. He has played one game when not hurt. I also think he has been a rather large disappointment in his career. I agree with Sullivan that he has only shown flashes of greatness. What isn't is saying Mike Williams is "shallow", it is a cheap shot. What isn't is saying Mike williams is the most important draft pick in TD's career. I would think Clements or McGahee or even Losman is the most important pick. That's my opinion, Sullivan is entitled to his.

I think the Bills are definitely trying to get their best five on the line and one of those five is Peters and another of those five is Williams. And they're getting rid of the worst of the previous five, Anderson. You are not going to put an athletic, fast healthy player at guard when he has been just asked to learn tackle. You ARE going to put your hobbling huge guy who has more difficulty pass blocking there. Tell me, who do you think is a better combination? Peters at guard and Williams at tackle, or Williams at guard and Peters at tackle? I know you will answer "they all suck" but that is only because that is your nature, just badmouth and never think or answer or be realistic.

That would have been a perfectly fair, if not good article if he didn't add that last snide disingenuous line, which was not just regular reporters reporting, that was regular **** being a regular ****.

499682[/snapback]

Wow Dog. You just spent way too much time and effort talking ABOUT a guy who is basically clueless about football and has a chip on his shoulder regarding the bills (Sully) TO a guy who is basically clueless about football and has a chip on his shoulder regarding the Bills (DeeRay).

Have a cocktail and pay them both no never-mind. :wacko:

You have no idea what you're talking about.  McKinnie has underachieved, but he has rare talent, so it's relative.  He's been good, he's been out there EVERY

game and is rounding into elite status at the critical left tackle position.  You had no idea how the guy was playing this year, you were just spouting BS to defend the MW pick.

There WERE doubters of Williams.  He had a bad knee.  He had a weight problem.  His footwork in pass protection couldn't have been much worse.  He was NOT the dominant player in college McKinnie was.  Donahoe got paralyzed by overananlysis, and so did a lot of non-college football watchers like Sullivan.

Your arguments on this subject have been pure nonsense, the only people who have thought that Williams was a better pick than McKinnie have been the kool aid drinking Bills fans who tried to dig up trash articles on McKinnie every time Williams managed to string a few starts together.

Facts are facts.  McKinnie plays LT, Williams is a G or RT.  McKinnie plays every game, Williams watches from the tub.  McKinnie is going to Honolulu this February, Williams is going to the couch at his mama's house with a 50 gallon drum of dead animal slathered in barbecue sauce.  Williams is grossly overpaid,  McKinnie is a good value for a LT.  It is what it is.

I actually like TD, but I'm not going to blow smoke.  I knew McKinnie was the best choice for the Bills, but I didn't HATE the Williams pick because I just placed my faith in Donahoe that he knew what he was doing and Williams would be a better pro than he was in college.  However, it was only a matter of months before it became clear he was not the LT of the future, but a lumbering RT.  He wasn't more than what he looked like on the field Texas, that's ALL he was.

If Williams could have not lived up to being grossly out of shape and not had a series of leg injuries the pick would have at least been productive and I could live with that.  But he is what he is, and worst of all, it turns out that the Mike Williams they drafted was nothing like the gregarious pre-draft fellow he pretended to be.  Turns out, Donahoe got snookered in the interview room again(see Gregg Williams).  Time to face the facts, Williams was a bad pick.  Four years of mostly bad football and DNP's is a pretty fair indicator.  I hope he becomes a great guard and plays here for another decade, but the statute of limitiations is up on defending Donahoe for that cutesy pick.

500062[/snapback]

Good post and right on as usual. I agree but if I would have said this again it would have been another week in the big house.

I do believe the move to guard is long overdue. We can only hope that his size and strength along with being protected inside will lead to Mikey to at least be a solid player at his new position.

You have no idea what you're talking about.  McKinnie has underachieved, but he has rare talent, so it's relative.  He's been good, he's been out there EVERY

game and is rounding into elite status at the critical left tackle position.

500062[/snapback]

You have a short memory regarding McKinnie's tenure in the NFL. Remember how he held out his rookie year? He may have played every down (no proof...just taking your word for it) but he is hardly an "elite" player now or ever.

So are you saying if TD picked McKinnie that would have been all better? How would have you reacted when he skipped camp? Or when he took years to develop into even a passable player? We as fans label players as duds after one game...one series! I could only imagine the things that would have been said about McKinnie if we drafted him!

If you knew Mike Williams was going to suck, then give yourself a gold star because you were the ONLY person who had doubts about him.

PTR

Remember folks...TD is an idiot because of Mike Williams, Gregg Williams, and Drew Bledsoe. He got lucky with Terrence McGee, Willis McGahee, Jason Peters, and trading Peerless Price. Don't let those minor successes cloud your negative opinion of the man.

PTR

The truth hurts, thus the hate for his articles.

His job isn't to kiss the a**** of the Bills management.

499420[/snapback]

The truth hurts, then his uneducated articles shouldn't. All he does is write that every move the Bills make is wrong, or if they hit on something, they should have done better.

I guess SOME people will belive anything they see in the media, if its negative enough

It's not very tough to believe what he said in his latest article. Or have you been sleeping for the last 3.5 years. It's so obvious they had to change his position. Wake up.

As for TD the only thing I know is he still hasn't gotten this team in the play-offs since he's been here. That is the bottom line.

Ok, now go tighten up those glasses and pour the drink.

It's not very tough to believe what he said in his latest article. Or have you been sleeping for the last 3.5 years. It's so obvious they had to change his position. Wake up.

As for TD the only thing I know is he still hasn't gotten this team in the play-offs since he's been here. That is the bottom line.

Ok, now go tighten up those glasses and pour the drink.

500131[/snapback]

Its always easy to criticize the guy at the top. Now pressed with coming up with a solution, all you say is "uh, uh, fire Donahoe, uh, uh, fire Mularkey, uh, uh cut Magahee, uh, uh, why are we still losing, uh, uh................

You have a short memory regarding McKinnie's tenure in the NFL.  Remember how he held out his rookie year?  He may have played every down (no proof...just taking your word for it) but he is hardly an "elite" player now or ever.

So are you saying if TD picked McKinnie that would have been all better?  How would have you reacted when he skipped camp?  Or when he took years to develop into even a passable player?  We as fans label players as duds after one game...one series!  I could only imagine the things that would have been said about McKinnie if we drafted him!

If you knew Mike Williams was going to suck, then give yourself a gold star because you were the ONLY person who had doubts about him.

PTR

500113[/snapback]

Again, nonsense. McKinnie's holdout was unique because he held out only because he wanted to be paid the same coin as the player picked at his position the season before. Not more. The same. That's just a given, it's called slotting. The Vikes tried to lowball him to the tune of 7 figures under the same pick in 2001. Go back and check it for yourself. The Vikes finally relented because the guy didn't bend over. When his holdout was over, he played right away, started his second game and every one since.

So, only now his play is passable? I don't think so, he's been quite good for some time now. Pre-season, The War Room had him ranked as the 7th best OT in the NFL based on last year. Great? No, but 7th out of roughly 64 ain't too shabby and certainly "passable". If you don't think he made a difference, think back to the game the Bills played in Minnesota that year pre-McKinnie when Aaron Schobel went sack wild on Culpepper. Culpepper is not the most pocket aware QB but McKinnie has been decent since day one and good not too long thereafter.

If I deserve a gold star for noticing that Mike Wiliams didn't even know how to slide his feet in pass protection in his first year in the NFL, then bring it on. He was lousy and beyond raw. Donahoe was at the workouts, he should have known just how much of a project Williams actually was. All I saw was Williams in game conditions, which was more often than not running against 240 lb. college DE's.

I didn't KNOW Williams as going to fail, I did know McKinnie was going to succeed. Donahoe got cute, pooh-poohed McKinnie when everyone was telling him he HAD to draft the unanimous top OT, and went with plan B and got burned.

When the guy at the top doesn't get his team into the play-offs he gets the heat. Thats the way it works in the NFL. It's a bottom line league. If he or you don't like it, too bad. It's been five years and its time to stop making excuses and start winning.

When the guy at the top doesn't get his team into the play-offs he gets the heat. Thats the way it works in the NFL. It's a bottom line league. If he or you don't like it, too bad. It's been five years and its time to stop making excuses and start winning.

500154[/snapback]

Save it E, some people here just don't get that. It's amazing how low their expectations are set.

It's apparent to most football fans that TD is a failure in Buffalo. Seriously, convincing homers of that is about impossible. I have to laugh when they point out the good things TD has done. Here's a friggin newsflash.....what fuggin NFL team HASN'T drafted or made some good moves? The logic and mindset of that is unreal. Hell, the Pittsburgh Pirates in major league baseball have had 13 years of losing seasons in a row. They have still drafted and developed some studs, even though they suck. So has TD. His failures to address other areas adequately enough, outside of his good picks are what is killing us. He has no idea how to put a complete product on the field. But hey, he sells tickets and jerseys!

We are in some select, bad company, when you look at who HAS NOT been to the playoffs in the last five years under their GM.

Oh, how far we've fallen. But hey, cut TD some slack, after all, it's nice being known and compared to expansion teams and the New Orleans Saints. Welcome to the Tom Donahoe era of Buffalo Bills football. :wacko:

The truth hurts, then his uneducated articles shouldn't. All he does is write that every move the Bills make is wrong, or if they hit on something, they should have done better.

I guess SOME people will belive anything they see in the media, if its negative enough

500118[/snapback]

It's obvious that TD and Sullivan are engaged in a mammoth pissing contest, and have been for years.

I try to have a little fun whenever I read a Sullivan article. I try to pretend I'm TD and see how long it takes before the steam comes streaming out my ears! :wacko:

Vikes have had one of the best offenses in the NFL during McKinnie's career, Bills have had one of the worst during Williams'. 

Sounded good though.  :wacko:

500069[/snapback]

Vikes had a pretty good one before McKinney too. The Bills hasn't been good. At least not consistently.

It's obvious that TD and Sullivan are engaged in a mammoth pissing contest, and have been for years.

I try to have a little fun whenever I read a Sullivan article.  I try to pretend I'm TD and see how long it takes before the steam comes streaming out my ears! :wacko:

500170[/snapback]

I'm more curious when the crap is gonna start running out of his ears! It's gotta be pretty damn full and just about up to his eyeballs. It shouldn't be long.

There are a lot of other writers that are at least as hard on the Bills as Sully is.

Sounded good though.  ;)

500069[/snapback]

That's because of McKinnie? Sure it is. Nothing like seeing Mother Cane defending her own.

Surprisingly, their offense immediately began to suck when Randy Moss was removed. Hmmm.

Correct...but did Jerry Sullivan say that Mike Williams was going to be a bust BEFORE he was drafted? No. He favored drafting Williams over McKinnie. So now Jerry Sullivan, with full benefit of hindsight, declares TD a failure for drafting the wrong OT? Based on what? Because McKinnie, after four friggin years of being a waste of a roster spot, is finally starting to play well?

Like I said in an earlier post, to blame TD for drafting Mike Williams is total hor$esh--. Mike Williams was an accross-the-board unanimous top pick at his position when he was drafted. No one though he had any issues that would have prevnted him from becoming a star NFL player. In fact, in the years since, it looked like Williams was a better pick than the underachieving, troublmaking McKinnie in Minnesota!

It's funny how Jerry Sullivan says the MW pick "defines" Donahoes tenure, but his ballsy pick of Willis McGahee and the fleecing of a #1 pick from Atlanta for Peerless Price does not. Typical Jerry Sullivan ca-ca.

The fault for Mike Williams' failure to succeed is 100% Mike Williams. Not becuase TD drafted him. Tom Donahoe has plenty of other legitimate reasons for criticsm, but drafting Mike Williams is not one of them.

PTR

499657[/snapback]

it is TD's falut.

He should have drafted Mike Pearson in the 2nd round, an actual LT.

He should have traded out of the #4 spot even if it meant getting less than the irrational "fair market value" to do it. He then could have drafted Dwight Freeney, a real pass rusher.

There are very few players worth the money slotted for a #4 pick and a RT is certainly not one of them.

He should have traded out of the #4 spot even if it meant getting less than the irrational "fair market value" to do it.  He then could have drafted Dwight Freeney, a real pass rusher.

500357[/snapback]

1st off, that's hindsight just like Sully uses now. 2nd. I doubt we every would have drafted Freeney because of what happened with 2nd round choice Corey Moore just a season or 2 earlier. Freeney was the same undersized speed rusher that Corey was in college, and actually broke Corey's sack record. I'm not sure they would have taken that chance twice even though Freeney has become an excellent player.

SnF, you have inspired me to write the Buffalo News Sunday Sports Letters.  I also copied this to Jerry Sullivan himself:

"General Manager Tom Donahoe, who would make a fine poker player, did the wise thing on draft day. After all the speculation about trading down, he stayed in the No. 4 slot and nabbed offensive tackle Mike Williams, who should be a mammoth mainstay for years to come. "

"Donahoe has done a terrific job filling holes on his team, adding depth and skill through free agency. But if you're going to win the Super Bowl, you need a core of players who went high in the draft. Williams is a good start."

"One thing is fairly certain. No one will be howling about Donahoe failing to address his offensive line."

Who wrote these optimistic observations of the Buffalo Bills general manager?  Why, none other than one Jerry Sullivan on April 21, 2002!  How can Mr. Sullivan take Tom Donahoe to task for drafting Mike Williams, when Jerry himself was leading the parade for Mike?

If we are going to judge Tom Donahoe's draft picks in hindsight, then perhaps we should do the same with the columns of Jerry Sullivan.

Sincerely,

PTR

499996[/snapback]

I sure hope they print your letter...but don't hold your breath.

The BN's editorial policy is based on the concept that today's edition will be on the bottom of the bird cage in a few days and no one will be the wiser down the road. It's tough to have your words come back to bite you on the a$$ when they're inconsistent with the way the wind's blowing today.

Ah, the Internet...it's a great tool (just like 'ol Jerry). ;)