Equivalence

OGTEleven

They've been doing this equivalence thing lately.

"That pass was equivalent to 95 MPH fastball."

If if were traveling 95 MPH they'd just say it, so what is meant by "equivalent" in this case?

Is their a conversion chart?

496510[/snapback]

I think its just the Sunday night crew being their usual idiot selfs. Whats the difference between a football travelling 95 MPH or a baseball? Speed is speed

I think its just the Sunday night crew being their usual idiot selfs.  Whats the difference between a football travelling 95 MPH or a baseball?  Speed is speed

496512[/snapback]

I've seen the term "equivalent" used every time. It's not just the morons, it's part of the productions in graphics, etc.

If he actually threw it 95 mph, they would say that (at least I think they would).

Maybe I'm wrong, but there is way to much in a pitcher's motion to ever expect a QB to throw a ball 95.

I assumed they were referencing that force = mass x velocity.  So, say a football weighs exactly twice as much as a baseball, then a 50 MPH football pass would have the same force as a 100 MPH baseball pitch.

496774[/snapback]

I thought it was simpler than that: that pass (whatever it was) represents the same amount of skill and ability in a QB that a 95 mph fast ball does in a pitcher.

Guest BackInDaDay
I assumed they were referencing that force = mass x velocity.  So, say a football weighs exactly twice as much as a baseball, then a 50 MPH football pass would have the same force as a 100 MPH baseball pitch.

496774[/snapback]

Absolutely!

I just put down my Calculus Based Physics for Engineering text co-authored by Maguire / Theisman. Their expansion on Bohr's theory on an electron's dicrete orbit about an atom's nucleus is breathtaking.

There's no way a QB can throw a football 95 mph.  I think it's supposed to be like the little league thing.  It's a ratio to 60'6.  For example, a 10-yard pass at 50 mph is the equivalent of a 100 mph fastball.  Pretty meaningless.

496524[/snapback]

Zactly. A little league mound is say 50' from home, so you take the time it takes the LL to get the ball to home and then convert it based on how fast the pitch would be if the distance was 60'6". Same thing is always done with softball.

For football they would have to take the distance of the throw, the time it takes for the ball to get to the receiver, then convert it to the time it would take the ball to travel 60'6" which they would then relate to a fastball. Meaningless stuupid statistic passed on by stuupid announcers.

Guest BackInDaDay
Meaningless stuupid statistic passed on by stuupid announcers.

496962[/snapback]

As Theisman eloquently points out in his pamphlet covering velocity conversions of unlike masses, "many among us fear the unknown and will react negatively to my theories". See. Joe knows.

Listening to those three idiots is the equivalence of listening to the conversation of the mentally challenged.

496572[/snapback]

Dont hate on the mentally challenged...at least they come up with a good valid point from time to time...

As Theisman eloquently points out in his pamphlet covering velocity conversions of unlike masses, "many among us fear the unknown and will react negatively to my theories".  See. Joe knows.

496968[/snapback]

Yeah, but we all know where he gained his nalige, he is a charter member of the church of tedy Bruschi (We're not worthy!).

Guest BackInDaDay
Yeah, but we all know where he gained his nalige, he is a charter member of the church of tedy Bruschi (We're not worthy!) (We're not worthy!).

496975[/snapback]

So true. The prophet Joe quotes often from the teachings of the "exalted one".

Rumor has it that Mr. Bruschi (We're not worthy!) will develope a series of help books this off-season. The first in the series is "Strokes for Dummies". Can't wait.

I'm not a science major but isn't 50 MPH the same as 50 MPH no matter the mass? If a car and train are moving along in the same direction like a freeway beside a train track and the car goes 20 MPH faster than the train. The car will leave the train in the dust regardless of mass ?

Or are they talking about a collision scenerio ? Where mass does come into the equation?

Being a mechanical engineer, I have a little insight into this so-called "equivalence" matter. Really, the comments already made here have been exactly right for the most part:

The measure of the rate at which a body, velocity, has no direct relation to the mass of said body. Fan in San Diego is right.

Equivalent velocity is not a scientific term. An amateurish television producer with a dynamics text book could be taking a stab at comparing the mechanics of a baseball and a football, though.

For example, they could be comparing how much effort the QB/Pitcher must exert to propel the balls a certain velocity. They might be saying that the effort a QB put into throwing a football a certain velocity would have propelled a baseball 90 mph. This seems, likely, because they are usually talking about how hard a QB throws when they refer to this "stat." To summarize, they could be saying "Given how fast the QB just threw the football, if they were throwing a baseball from the mound to home, it would be travelling 90 mph." This uses the equation F = m x a (acceleration).

They might also be comparing how hard the ball impacts the receiver. This is not a measure of the force imparted on the ball but rather the momentum of the ball transfered to the receiver. Momentum, as I said above, is M = m x v.

Finally, they could be talking about how much time the receiver has to react to the pass as compared to a batter reacting to a 90 mph fast ball. This would be determined by how fast (velocity, not acceleration) the ball is moving and the distance between the QB and the receiver.

It's hard to make an exact determination given the amatuerish quality of the statistic.