Greatest theme song to movie

Pete

Whats the greatest theme song to a movie?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Whats the greatest theme song to a movie?

• The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    • Halloween
    • Jaws
    • Star Wars
    • Rocky
    • 2001 A Space Odysey
    • Close Encounters
    • Live and Let Die
    • Indiana Jones
    • Midnight Express
    • Saturday Night Fever
    • Team America
    • Other

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were discussing this today at work.  I know I am missing some obvious ones.  We also discussed greatest theme songs to TV shows- Hawaii 50 is my pick!

493497[/snapback]

The theme song to 2001, by the way, was not written for the movie itself. It's actually Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra "symphonic poem", which predates the movie by about 70 years. My personal preference would be to not count it as a true "theme song", as it wasn't specifically for the movie.

And a little trivia: four of the movies you list - Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, and Star Wars - were all scored by John Williams, who also did ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Superman, Saving Private Ryan...and a hell of a lot of other work. Very good and very prolific composer.

The theme song to 2001, by the way, was not written for the movie itself.  It's actually Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra "symphonic poem", which predates the movie by about 70 years.  My personal preference would be to not count it as a true "theme song", as it wasn't specifically for the movie.

And a little trivia: four of the movies you list - Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, and Star Wars - were all scored by John Williams, who also did ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Superman, Saving Private Ryan...and a hell of a lot of other work.  Very good and very prolific composer.

493522[/snapback]

Spielberg is rushing to get his film Munich released by December 8 so he can get consideration for the Golden Globes and Williams has yet to right a note for the score. Pressure is on John Williams. BTW I am looking forward to this film which is sure to be controversial. I saw the documentary One Day in September about the Munich olympics and the Germans really !@#$ed that up dozens of ways. They are sure to get more egg in their face. I walked thru the Olympic village in Munich last year and it gave me the chills walking by the apartments where it all played out

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230591/

We were discussing this today at work.  I know I am missing some obvious ones.  We also discussed greatest theme songs to TV shows- Hawaii 50 is my pick!

493497[/snapback]

How about the theme song to Magnum PI.

The theme song to 2001, by the way, was not written for the movie itself.  It's actually Strauss' Also sprach Zarathustra "symphonic poem", which predates the movie by about 70 years.  My personal preference would be to not count it as a true "theme song", as it wasn't specifically for the movie.

And a little trivia: four of the movies you list - Jaws, Raiders, Close Encounters, and Star Wars - were all scored by John Williams, who also did ET, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, Superman, Saving Private Ryan...and a hell of a lot of other work.  Very good and very prolific composer.

493522[/snapback]

John Williams also did the score for Laverne and Shirley, which garners my vote.

One word:

Schlamazo.

Boy was that terrific. If they ever did a movie version of L & S that theme song would leap to the top.

493522[/snapback]

Williams, I believe is the current conductor for the Boston Pops orchestra as well. If memory serves he got his start composing for Irwin Allen TV productions such as Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and Land of the Giants. I think that the theme to The Magnificent Seven should be on the poll. Elmer Bernstein (no relation to Leonard Bernstein of West Side Story fame) composed the tune whcih was later used for Marlboro commercials, before our govt decided we shouldn't be allowed to see cigarette ads.

Repo Man

493607[/snapback]

Not only was the theme song great but the entire LA Punk soundtrack was awsome for that movie. Watched that movie late Saturday night btw.

But out of the list provided I picked Halloween

Estavez:

"Fvck that. I aint gonna be no repo man"

[Pours beer on floor]

Stanton:

"You know kid. Usually when someone pulls **** like that my first reaction is to punch his fvckin lights out. But you know what? Your all right!!!!!!" A brite light!"

Not only was the theme song great but the entire LA Punk soundtrack was awsome for that movie. Watched that movie late Saturday night btw.

But out of the list provided I picked Halloween

Estavez:

"Fvck that. I aint gonna be no repo man"

[Pours beer on floor]

Stanton:

"You know kid. Usually when someone pulls **** like that my first reaction is to punch his fvckin lights out. But you know what? Your all right!!!!!!" A brite light!"

493631[/snapback]

Repo Man is probably the greatest movie of all time.

Oly: Oh, yeah, you're f--kin' A right we ripped your car, !@#$. You want to know who told us where it was? Your god-damned brother.