Letchworth State Park

stevestojan

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The railroad bridge gives a hell of a view too. Just ignore the no trespassing sign and hop the fence, climb the hill, and wander out onto the bridge!

488751[/snapback]

As long as you don't watch Stand By Me just before going. Went out on it once. Wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be.

And I was on that bridge in Millbank's picture the last time I was there...don't get that far south very often.

As long as you don't watch Stand By Me just before going.  Went out on it once.  Wasn't as nervous as I thought I'd be.

And I was on that bridge in Millhouse's picture the last time I was there...don't get that far south very often.

488761[/snapback]

The one time a train actually came across when there were about 6 of us on the bridge...now that was some freaky sh--, having a train speed by about 2 feet away from you, while you crouch and hang on to anything with the bridge swaying...

A trip to Letchworth is incomplete without a walk out onto the trestle, only to be chased off by the whistle of an oncoming train.

That south entrance also takes you out to a great little bar in Portageville- you go left off 19A to the 436 and there are two places there, it's the further bar in town but the name escapes me right now. It's actually the old bar in the downstairs of a hotel and it's a classic old building.

The one time a train actually came across when there were about 6 of us on the bridge...now that was some freaky sh--, having a train speed by about 2 feet away from you, while you crouch and hang on to anything with the bridge swaying...

488787[/snapback]

There is a walkway on the side at least 5 feet wide and a sturdy railing. :doh:

Drove through Perry today - depressing.  :doh:

488977[/snapback]

They do a nice "Last Night" (formerly "First Night" until the licensing fees got too big) celebration though...for a small town. We've been to the past couple...

488787[/snapback]

I wouldn't exactly say "speed" by. They take that area at pretty slow speeds.

They do a nice "Last Night" (formerly "First Night" until the licensing fees got too big) celebration though...for a small town.  We've been to the past couple...

488989[/snapback]

The drive-in still can't be beat though. Good fishing along the Silver lake inlet (or outlet?) too.

There is a walkway on the side at least 5 feet wide and a sturdy railing.  :doh:

488974[/snapback]

5 Feet seems slightly generous- I can tell you that of the maybe 6 times I've been out on the trestle when the train was approaching NOTHING about "waiting it out" on that little walkway sounded like a good idea!

A trip to Letchworth is incomplete without a walk out onto the trestle, only to be chased off by the whistle of an oncoming train.

That south entrance also takes you out to a great little bar in Portageville- you go left off 19A to the 436 and there are two places there, it's the further bar in town but the name escapes me right now. It's actually the old bar in the downstairs of a hotel and it's a classic old building.

488791[/snapback]

Strykersville?

The drive-in still can't be beat though. Good fishing along the Silver lake inlet (or outlet?) too.

489003[/snapback]

I'm more of a golf guy, but Silver Lake is a nice area. Charcoal Corral is a fun place, but always packed. I can't even imagine how much money that place rakes in.

489003[/snapback]

When I was a kid we used to sneak in to the drive-in. Years later I used to party with the guy who runs it now.

Silver Lake Drive in

Every year there was a Sea Serpent parade and even a beauty contest and a crowned Sea Serpent Queen.

Silver Lake Sea Serpent

This is one of the few lakes that has both the inlet and outlet streams on the same end. The lake was largely fed by undeground springs.