Letchworth State Park

stevestojan

Yes, I googled this. And the best I got so far was "Entrances are located at Mount Morris, Perry, Castile, Portageville, and the Parade Grounds from Rte. 436"... That means absolutely nothing to me..

Can anyone give me directions? Please know that I know nothing about the Rochester area, so using landmarks or Route #'s outside of Buffalo won't help. If you could start me at the 90-east, that would probably be the best :doh: Thanks in advance!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) 90 East to exit 47 (rt. 19)

2) Rt. 19 south to letchworth state park.  (40 miles-ish)

487774[/snapback]

Rte 19 will not take you directly to Letchworth, but West of it. Easiest way would be 90E to 390S (Exit 46). Get off at the Mt. Morris exit (7) Tturn onto NY 408, and 0.2 miles brings you into the center of the village of Mount Morris. Turn north onto NY 36, and drive a mile to the park's northern entrance.

Or, if you want to go scenic, Get off Exit 48 (Batavia), left onto route 98 South. Left onto Main St (Route 5), keeping to the right. Follow route 63 West until route 36 (probably about 20 miles). Follow route 36 south until you hit the entrance. You'll pass within a half mile of my house on that route. :doh:

Rte 19 will not take you directly to Letchworth, but West of it.  Easiest way would be 90E to 390S (Exit 46).  Get off at the Mt. Morris exit (7)  Tturn onto NY 408, and 0.2 miles brings you into the center of the village of Mount Morris. Turn north onto NY 36, and drive a mile to the park's northern entrance.

Or, if you want to go scenic, Get off Exit 48 (Batavia), left onto route 98 South.  Left onto Main St (Route 5), keeping to the right.  Follow route 63 West until route 36 (probably about 20 miles).  Follow route 36 south until you hit the entrance.  You'll pass within a half mile of my house on that route. :doh:

487784[/snapback]

I would suggest this route as best from an overall scenic view. The park is fantastic in the fall just hope its not to past peak for ya.

steve if you wanted a really scenic route you could take rt. 20 out to rt. 36 S also. but the 390 way is very easy and the fastest. if you get there before 9 am they don't charge you, or if you take a right after pulling into the entrance (before the charge area) and then make a left you can park for free on the road.

if you get there before 9 am they don't charge you, or if you take a right after pulling into the entrance (before the charge area) and then make a left you can park for free on the road.

487793[/snapback]

While that is a good trick, it is really only useful for using the pool or if you're going to bike through the whole park. You'll want your car stojan.

While that is a good trick, it is really only useful for using the pool or if you're going to bike through the whole park. You'll want your car stojan.

487822[/snapback]

thats true :doh:. I only used it for when i ran cross country meets there,

Well, that was easy! Thanks!

From Buffalo, about how long should it take me? (probably gonna go tomorrow for the afternoon)

487777[/snapback]

enjoy the damn overlook.

oooops...sorry...thats the dam overlook.

Well, that was easy! Thanks!

From Buffalo, about how long should it take me? (probably gonna go tomorrow for the afternoon)

487777[/snapback]

Roughly 50 miles, probably a 75 minute drive (it's not all x-way).

Actually, if you take 19 to 19A, this will take you directly to Portageville, at the farthest southern end of Letchworth. The park is about 20 miles long.

This is where you will see the railroad bridge (park and walk out on it, it is very cool), the Upper and Middle Falls, what was once a GREAT pioneer and Indian museum that is still"OK", The Glen Iris Inn, lots of overlooks.

Leaving there by car, on the way north at the top of the hill is a pioneer cemetary that is terrific to stroll through. Mary Jemison's cabin and a statue briefly telling her story is in this area too. Back in the car, be sure to stop at Inspiration Point. You can see Middle and Upper Falls, and the bridge from there - very cool.

Heading North again go to the Lower Falls. There are steps that will take you down to the river, including a stone bridge that spans a narrow point of the gorge.

Bring a picnic lunch if it is nice: wine, beer, cheese, fresh bread, etc. The overlooks at Great Bend (highest point in the park) and near the Castile entrance are good ones. Wolf Creek is a nice lunch spot or the lawn by Tea Table Rock if it is sunny.

Now you have a longer drive to the North End of the park to see Mt. Morris Dam.

At this point if you just want to get the expressway home, take 390 north from Mt Morris to the Thruway.

PM me if you want more info.

Or, if you want to go scenic, Get off Exit 48 (Batavia), left onto route 98 South.  Left onto Main St (Route 5), keeping to the right.  Follow route 63 West until route 36 (probably about 20 miles).  Follow route 36 south until you hit the entrance.  You'll pass within a half mile of my house on that route. :P

487784[/snapback]

That's the best route IMHO. There's something about driving out of the flatlands and toward the rolling hills on that drive that is cool.

There's no way I'd take the Thruway all the way out to 390. Simple, but boring. If you go 63, you can stop at some really good farmers markets (farm fresh is the way to go) and there's a little country store that makes their own fudge out that way - it's awesome stuff.

Beautiful country too - especially with the leaves changing. So you can take 390, but you're missing a lot of the special rural ambience that WNY has to offer your visitor.

Isn't there is an entrance to the park off of 19,  down where 19 and 19A junction together?

487954[/snapback]

As Rockpile said, on 19A...If you want to go all the way down to the south end. Though Rock's (and yours, as long as you include 19A in the directions :P or else they'll end up in Pike) directions are kinda scenic too...get to go through Wyoming (grab a bite at the Cannonball Pub, owned by one of the original "Cannonball Runners."), Warsaw (could catch 20A East from Warsaw as well).

All roads lead to Letchworth. :P

As Rockpile said, on 19A...If you want to go all the way down to the south end.  Though Rock's (and yours, as long as you include 19A in the directions :P or else they'll end up in Pike) directions are kinda scenic too...get to go through Wyoming (grab a bite at the Cannonball Pub, owned by one of the original "Cannonball Runners."), Warsaw (could catch 20A East from Warsaw as well).

All roads lead to Letchworth. :P

487960[/snapback]

Isn't Wyoming the town with the gaslights? Very pretty at night.

There are several different places to enter. Coming from the south if not in a hurry the slow pace of 15-20 mph is so worth the beauty there all the way to the last stop by the pool. Whatever place you go in if you have time don't just visit the highland overview. Too bad so many of the trees have lost there leaves.