To those who want to fire TD / MM

Albany,n.y.

Oh I don't know.....let's see, what's the worst we could do....hire someone to come in and work for 5 years and not make the playoffs once?  Because that would be his standard to go by.

485035[/snapback]

Personally, I'm finally off the TD kool-aid. 5 years without playoffs is one thing, but it now feels like there has been 0 progress in those 5 years. Could the 2005 Bills beat the 2000 Bills? I'm not sure we could beat the 2001 Bills right now. We're a step above the worst teams in the league but below average - we've lost to average teams.

TD is great at building excitement with his fan-pleasing decisions but I'm not sure he can build a winner in Buffalo.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say we just fire Tom Clements. Our first drive was just about perfect. Then what did we do? Throw it all out the window?  :angry:

484359[/snapback]

Thats an interesting point. Remember our game aginst the Saints this year? Our first drive was outstanding. Then what happened after that? Everything got out of hand and when we had plays that we had to make on third and short, we didn't make them.

Ok, here's my challenge to you fire them folks.  Who do you realistically think the Bills can replace them with.  Can not should.  Don't go suggesting names of guys who will never come here like Weis who would never leave ND for this team. 

You have to be realistic, a lot of guys won't come to Buffalo due to weather (Nick Saban's wife would have never let him go to a northeast city), power-The Tuna would never have come here, salary etc-Marvin Lewis wanted nothing to do with Buffalo-at Ralph's coaching wage. 

As far as GMs, who do you want who will work for Ralph?  Modrak-his mentor is the guy you want to fire. 

If you want these guys fired without reasonable replacements, it's as bad as letting Drew go for Losman-we could get guys a lot worse.

So...name some names & why you think they would be willing to come here.  Otherwise, rethink your position-we know what we've got, just to fire them without a better replacement is not the answer.  I don't have an answer, but since you want to do the firing, you obviously do-or should.

484358[/snapback]

So we're reduced to finding someone to "tolerate the weather" in Buffalo? Is that it?

These silly arguments of "who's better" are so lame that they make Britany Spears look like a Rhodes Scholar.

Personally, I'm finally off the TD kool-aid.  5 years without playoffs is one thing, but it now feels like there has been 0 progress in those 5 years.  Could the 2005 Bills beat the 2000 Bills?  I'm not sure we could beat the 2001 Bills right now.  We're a step above the worst teams in the league but below average - we've lost to average teams.

TD is great at building excitement with his fan-pleasing decisions but I'm not sure he can build a winner in Buffalo.

485228[/snapback]

Exactly right. I look at where our roster is right now, and realize that we are a mess. TD would a GREAT marketing director. He sells the team well to the public, and all of that.

As a matter of fact, he'd be a great team president / VP, just hire a new GM to work under him. He does the business end of running a NFL team great, but his GM'ing skills are leaving a lot to be desired.

You're post is exactly on, and it pisses off all of the homers because they can't refute anymore other than trying to trivialize your existance on why you think that way.

Nice post!

Charlie Weis is never leaving us (ND). He has his rings, he had his NFL career. He's home now and he has stated this publicly I believe.

As far as the buyout option, if anyone thinks ND would be stupid enough to screw up another coaching decision, well then......ummm, sh--. ;)

I will say this as far as Weis goes, I am sooo glad ND didn't listen to the vocal alums who wanted Tom Clements. I shudder thinking about him running the Irish while Weis remains in New England for at least another year.

I am sooo glad ND didn't listen to the vocal alums who wanted Tom Clements. I shudder thinking about him running the Irish while Weis remains in New England for at least another year.

485404[/snapback]

But as a Bills fan who isn't at ND, most of us would you feel better if Clements had left for the ND job. ;)

Scott Pioli - GM - Knows the meaning of "team".

485253[/snapback]

If the Bills got rid of TD Pioli is the guy I'd like to see brought in to replace him. As for coach, I'd let Pioli worry about that.

Anyone who is willing to draft linemen would be ok with me.

485415[/snapback]

TD has tried to address the OL, he just hasn't been very successful in his attempts:

2001: He drafted Jonas Jennings & Marquis Sullivan. Both had starting stints at LT, obviously Jonas was the better of the 2, but due to free agency & the

unwillingness to pay an injury prone player he's gone. He also tried to bring Kris Farris off the Steelers scrap heap.

2002: He made a huge push to improve the O-line. Drafted Mike Williams with the 4th overall pick, as an afterthought drafted Mike Pucillo-a starter in 2003-in the 7th round. He signed Trey Teague as a FA and the servicable Marcus Price

as a FA. He also picked up Mike Houghton on waivers right after the final cuts.

2003: Drafted Ben (IR) Sobieski in the 5th-a reach considering his college career

Picked up Ross Tucker on waivers.

2004: Signed Chris Villarial as a FA and drafted Dylan McFarland in the 7th.

Cut Ruben Brown.

2005: Drafted Duke Preston (who looks like a really good prospect) in the 4th, and Justin Geisinger in the 6th. Signed FA Bennie Anderson (don't say it) and street FA Mike Gandy. Lost Jonas to SF as a FA.

So, he's drafted 7 linemen and signed another 4 unrestricted free agents and some street free agents including the current LT. It's not like he's not trying, he's just not doing a very good job in evaluating the talent. So, we need more than anyone willing to draft OL, we need an upgrade in the EVALUATION of OL talent. I don't know if that's TD or his scouts. Whoever told him to sign Bennie Anderson should have his job on double secret probation.

Tom Heckert for G.M. and Brad Childress for head coach (this isn't tough -- i could offer 10 names for each position which are available and upgrades over what we have).....

484363[/snapback]

Childress has gone absolutely pass happy. . . we've seen that before here. It does not work, especially later in the year.

Exactly right.  I look at where our roster is right now, and realize that we are a mess.  TD would a GREAT marketing director.  He sells the team well to the public, and all of that.

As a matter of fact, he'd be a great team president / VP, just hire a new GM to work under him.  He does the business end of running a NFL team great, but his GM'ing skills are leaving a lot to be desired.

You're post is exactly on, and it pisses off all of the homers because they can't refute anymore other than trying to trivialize your existance on why you think that way.

Nice post!

485313[/snapback]

With TD as President only, would not work. He is getting a reputation around the league on his trustworthiness and his character. He is not credible and he will throw anyone under the bus to deflect balme away from him.

IMHO, real coaches and players do not want to work with TD, because with TD, you work FOR him. There is a character and a trust issue. Look at the track racord here, he does not make any promises, but he sure pours the "Kool-Aid" that fans have been drinking. Even though he field groups of individuals with rookie "coaches", he still fills the seats and sells the jerseys.

I wouldn't want to go with Mondrak as a GM, he is a TD puppet, just like the "head coaches" brought in. Plus his talent evaluations skills are way over rated. He can't/won't pick a decent lineman if his life depended on it.

If Brad Prioli came in as President and GM, we have instant credibility with coaches and players actually WANTING to be part of his success. Hell, even Charlie Weis would consider coming here.

How homerific of you.

Though I completely agree with the top-level management choices.

GM/Asst GM: Badolbilz/Lori

Head Coach: AKC

Def. Coord.: MarkVI

Secondary Coach: Simon

484360[/snapback]

With TD as President only, would not work. He is getting a reputation around the league on his trustworthiness and his character. He is not credible and he will throw anyone under the bus to deflect balme away from him.

485530[/snapback]

:P Says who? You? ;)

2003: Drafted Ben (IR) Sobieski in the 5th-a reach considering his college career

Picked up Ross Tucker on waivers.

2004: Signed Chris Villarial as a FA and drafted Dylan McFarland in the 7th.

Cut Ruben Brown.

2005: Drafted Duke Preston (who looks like a really good prospect) in the 4th, and Justin Geisinger in the 6th.  Signed FA Bennie Anderson (don't say it) and street FA Mike Gandy.  Lost Jonas to SF as a FA. 

Thanks for the research. So in the past 3 years, a total of 4 picks; one in each of the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds, plus a couple of bottom feeder FAs. That's not even close to trying hard enough. Was there really no one available in the 2d round last year that would've helped more than a 160 lb WR?

And if he can't evaluate talent on top of it, than we really do have the wrong guy.

Devil's advocate - why couldn't we offer the Tuna all the power, give him TD's and Mularkey's jobs, give him the president title?  Ya gotta think he'd have more power working for Wilson than Jones, right?

Also, you don't think giving Weis full organizational control wouldn't be enough to lure him away from ND?  I think it would.  I think he'd love the chance to compete against Belichik.

484490[/snapback]

Newsflash: Successful people want to play in the spotlight, not in a backwater media market. The Tuna's a guy who plays on a "big stage" and can call whatever tune he wants. Short of giving him an equity stake in the team, there was nothing that would've attracted him to Buffalo.

As for Weis, he now has a better gig than any NFL HC. Why would he ever give that up?

IMHO, real coaches and players do not want to work with TD, because with TD, you work FOR him. There is a character and a trust issue. Look at the track racord here, he does not make any promises, but he sure pours the "Kool-Aid" that fans have been drinking. Even though he field groups of individuals with rookie "coaches", he still fills the seats and sells the jerseys.

I wouldn't want to go with Mondrak as a GM, he is a TD puppet, just like the "head coaches" brought in. Plus his talent evaluations skills are way over rated. He can't/won't pick a decent lineman if his life depended on it.

If Brad Prioli came in as President and GM, we have instant credibility with coaches and players actually WANTING to be part of his success. Hell, even Charlie Weis would consider coming here.

485530[/snapback]

I agree with this also. However, as much as I so over the Tom Donahoe era, I still think he's done a more than credible job in selling the Bills the the region. But you're right, I don't think he could let anyone do a job under him as a GM.

When this trainwreck of a season is over, it will be interesting to see how secure Donahoe's job really is.