The Most Disgusting Run Defense Ever

you make a good point- he definitely has range.  running 30 yards to do the lambeau leap after making a routine tackle on 3rd down definitely proved that.  :lol:

so it must not be him- i guess it's that whole "stopping the run" part of linebacking that is overrated.

484607[/snapback]

Think of it more like a square peg in a round hole. Believe it or not you can only count on 1 hand the amount of Complete MLB's (or ILB's) playing in the league right now who are adept with both range and size. Ray lewis and Johnathan Vilma are two off-hand.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Think of it more like a square peg in a round hole. Believe it or not you can only count on 1 hand the amount of Complete MLB's (or ILB's) playing in the league right now who are adept with both range and size. Ray lewis and Johnathan Vilma are two off-hand.

484613[/snapback]

Vilma does have incredible range, but size? He's about 6-1 and 235. For a MLB, that is not very big. Thing is, he still is one of the very best in the game.

484613[/snapback]

On one hand? But, what if you're the six-fingered man who killed Inigo Montoya's dad in "The Princess Bride"? :lol:

We can thank Commander Whitehead for the Bills poor run defense ----- Why oh why didn't Whitey re-sign Pat Williams?????

484592[/snapback]

Because he is over the hill and sucks in Minnesota.....Too put so much

dollar against thte salary cap for a player beyond his good years would have

been suicide...

You would want your younger players to step up and that is where the

coaching would have helped.....

I believe we need to play defense like the Seahawks did against Houston last Sunday Night. They had eight in the box and stuffed the run. Everything was bunched up tight to the line.

Yes, I know we'd get beat for some big pass plays, but I'd rather get beat that way at this point. Yeah, we need to get beat a different way, this way isn't fun anymore. . .

484292[/snapback]

Dude, we killed Houston. And you can't play the Pats the way you play an 0-6 team.

been suicide...

484633[/snapback]

that is where better talent acquisition would have helped! i think the greatest area in which donohoe has let this team down is not in picking coaches, but in assembling a roster of players talented enough to get it done. i may be in the minority on this, but i think our coaching staff is plenty good enough to win in this league. but i also think the players they're stuck with are very overrated.

Vilma does have incredible range, but size?  He's about 6-1 and 235.  For a MLB, that is not very big.  Thing is, he still is one of the very best in the game.

484627[/snapback]

Did you see him vs. the Bills and STILL believe he weighs 235? I sure don't. He just seems to be a real "thick body" tpye even for his limited height (which is still taller than Fletch) Plus the Jets are doing a much better job of cleaning up bodies on front of him than our D-line is.

been suicide...

484633[/snapback]

He is actually playing quite well on an undersized Minnesota line. He was given the game ball last week for being so disruptive to the Packers.

Also Ted Cottrel felt that the front four that Minnesota was fielding was too small to stand up against the run, so he moved Pat to nose tackle and switched to a 3-4. It worked pretty well yesterday, and no one in the very critical Minnesota media is complaining about fat Pat's play.

You go from 7th against the run to 30th (or dead last after this last games rushes have been totaled), and the only change in your defensive scheme is that you didn't resign Pat Williams. Clearly Pat made a difference on this team's ability to stop the run. Some folks point out that Spikes is out, but we were getting steam-rolled with him in there too.

Could have paid big Pat an extra 2-3M to have him. As I recall our run defense was pretty darn good last year. Tim Anderson will not be the answer full time. He may be a guy that gives you good situational and fill-in duty. It all starts with the line play.

He is actually playing quite well on an undersized Minnesota line. He was given the game ball last week for being so disruptive to the Packers.

Also Ted Cottrel felt that the front four that Minnesota was fielding was too small to stand up against the run, so he moved Pat to nose tackle and switched to a 3-4. It worked pretty well yesterday, and no one in the very critical Minnesota media is complaining about fat Pat's play.

You go from 7th against the run to 30th (or dead last after this last games rushes have been totaled), and the only change in your defensive scheme is that you didn't resign Pat Williams. Clearly Pat made a difference on this team's ability to stop the run. Some folks point out that Spikes is out, but we were getting steam-rolled with him in there too.

484769[/snapback]

I think you are dead on correct and have been saying so for a while now...And it's not necesarily just Pat, rathers it's what Pat/Sam gave you in the Middle on Base Downs...

The Bills could have found a way to Re-Sign Pat. The truth is they believed they had the talent in House to replace him...Needless to say they were mistaken...

I will take your bet he will not break the rushing record....

484800[/snapback]

Exactly. Since the Bills O is just as bad as the D, the Chargers will be up by about 4 scores by the time LT gets to 200 yards in the 3Q, so they'll sit him down for the rest of the game.

Did you see him vs. the Bills and STILL believe he weighs 235? I sure don't. He just seems to be a real "thick body" tpye even for his limited height (which is still taller than Fletch) Plus the Jets are doing a much better job of cleaning up bodies on front of him than our D-line is.

484666[/snapback]

Easily. Why? Because muscle (LBs have a better muscle tone than lineman) weighs more than fat, so they may appear bigger even though they aren't.

That said, I think he's going to be a fantastic LB if he stays healthy. He could have a Singletary, Lewis-like career.

Easily.  Why?  Because muscle (LBs have a better muscle tone than lineman) weighs more than fat, so they may appear bigger even though they aren't. 

That said, I think he's going to be a fantastic LB if he stays healthy.  He could have a Singletary, Lewis-like career.

484806[/snapback]

I agree on Vilma's future for sure. I know Willis weighs atleast 235 and Vilma standing next to him looks like he weighs more, that's all.

Well clearly, Sam is a decent run stuffer but I don't think we have anyone else.  The plan is simple with teams against our run defense.  Double team Sam Adams and leave others one on one.  It can be painful to watch at times.

484293[/snapback]

Actually, I consider Sam a liability against the run. He has a great first step burst, which he uses at times to shoot the gap and get into the backfield and make the noticeable play. However, what we really need is a guy to go in there and take up two blockers consistently and free up LBs to make plays. I'd love to see Gray make Sam cover two gaps and hold the line of scrimmage instead of what we're doing now.

ya and i was watching the vikings game yesterday and pat williams was sacking bret and stopping the running attack,but i guess we can stop the run without him..god i miss big pat

484832[/snapback]

Let's not get too nostalgic. The Viking D is horrible against the run.