Pacers' Jackson: jewelry ban racist?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2197001

Given the very real racism that still exists in the fabric of this country, Jackson's statements are a joke, if you ask me. My question for Mr. Jackson is whether or not his flaunting of gold chains, and his over-estimation of their importance, is a statement of crass materialism that is more detrimental to young black America than any dress codes.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2197001

Given the very real racism that still exists in the fabric of this country, Jackson's statements are a joke, if you ask me.  My question for Mr. Jackson is whether or not his flaunting of gold chains, and his over-estimation of their importance, is a statement of crass materialism that is more detrimental to young black America than any dress codes.

480376[/snapback]

i dont think he got the memo that he looks completely retarded wearing his "bling" I guess hes worried he may lose his "street cred" :D

Racist? I dunno. Clearly there's a backlash against the Hip-Hop Culture in the NBA. Baggy clothes, bling-bling and the like. While it's not just Black players wearing this stuff, it certainly has a base among the Hip-Hop crowd which is largely young and urban...often Black. I sure see plenty of White and Asian kids with that look here in SF.

But, let's not pur our heads in the sand here...there are some racial overtones. The guys in charge of the league (and the networks...and the owners of the team) are predominately old White guys (like me). And these old White guys don't like that look. Many old White fans don't like that look. My guess is the NBA looses some $$$ because of that look (old White ad execs shy away)...they lose old White audiences, etc.

It probably is a little racist. My question is why do this? I don't like the look...but so what?

it's all about money. the league wants to get rid of the negative press that they get every year from several different ways. They believe this is one way to try and fix part of that. The majority of people conduct themselves differently depending on how they are dressed, that is a fact. If you try to deny it you are insane. Before you react to that statement, really think about it, or better yet go into work tomorrow dressed exactly the opposite of how you normally do. If you normally wear a suit and tie, wear a t-shirt (untucked), jeans, and sneakers. If you normally dress casual wear a suit and tie, you will feel differently about yourself at different times throughout the day. You may walk, sit and talk differently... it is true. It won't change who you are or how you do your job maybe, but certain things will change.

These players should wake up and realize that this is actually doing them a favor and will get them more money in the long run. Why did Michael Jordan get all the endorsement deals long before he was recognized as "the greatest ever"? Because he didn't come off like a dumb ass hoodlum. He carried himself in a respectful way that the company's with the money liked him and wanted him to represent their products.

Granted, this may not help the 12th man on the team score any endorsement deals, but it will certainly help the ones on the bubble and it may even catapult them in to the limelight in the NBA. And just because you wear a suit and tie doesn't mean you will be a role model (look at Kobe). But it will curb some of the negative sterotype that is out there about the average player in the NBA.

The NBA is a business - and one where the employees are definitely in the public eye. In those circumstances, most employers can and do insist on a certain level of decorum when off the job.

As long as one accepts a paycheck from another, one must live with that...a tough sell in these "it's all about me" days, I suppose. :D

I'm not saying I agree with the dress code, but I say if that is the rule then that's the rule. A few dumb asses screwed it up for everyone, maybe in a few years when players stop talking like morons and looking like gang members, the code will get relaxed, but until then deal with it.

I can't wear jeans or a sideways hat ( :D ) when I am representing my employer and I get paid next to nothing for my job. These guys are getting paid milions to play a game, deal with it.

I believe this stems purely from last year's fight.

A direct correlation can be drawn to the Janet Jackson titty scandal. Until then, nobody cared or reported on indecency laws. But Janet's boob popped out when everyone was watching, and that's all anyone was talking about. It was sad to watch in the following months as the FCC clamped down on anything and everything they thought was inappropriate.

Now the NBA last season had their "major" incident, and that's all anyone was talking about afterwards. The league was called "out of touch" with its fan base, and the public looked at the players as thugs. So the NBA issued their own "indecency laws," but theirs pertains to dress code. They are tired of their players being perceived as thugs.

It's ammusing that Stephan Jackson made this statement, since he was (along with Artest) single-handedly responsible for the escalation of that fight. And I must say, if anybody looked like a thug, it was him.

Maybe Jackson can invest, or even give to charity, that $10,000 he was going to spend on a new diamond-encrusted Cadillac necklace.

Is this just a dress code for the players participating in team/leauge related events (games, practices, PR stuff) or is it a 24/7 dress code (i.e. guys can't wear their jewelry in the middle of july at a resort in the keys?)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2194537

ok, i answered my own question.

NBA Dress Code

In a memo issued Monday, the NBA set forth a "minimum" dress code starting with the 2005-2006 season. The following highlights are excerpted from the memo:

1. General Policy: Business Casual

Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business. "Business Casual" attire means:

•  A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.

•  Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.

•  Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.

2. Exceptions to Business Casual

There are the following exceptions to the general policy of Business Casual attire:

a. Players In Attendance At Games But Not In Uniform

Players who are in attendance at games but not in uniform are required to wear the following additional items when seated on the bench or in the stands during the game:

•  Sport Coat.

•  Dress shoes or boots, and socks.

3. Excluded Items

The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear while on team or league business:

•  Sleeveless shirts.

•  Shorts.

•  T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team).

• Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team).

• Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes.

• Sunglasses while indoors.

• Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room).

Now, if this clown wanted to start a real argument, he should start wearing a crucifix or a star of david and claim religious discrimination.