Pacers' Jackson: jewelry ban racist?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2197001

Given the very real racism that still exists in the fabric of this country, Jackson's statements are a joke, if you ask me.  My question for Mr. Jackson is whether or not his flaunting of gold chains, and his over-estimation of their importance, is a statement of crass materialism that is more detrimental to young black America than any dress codes.

480376[/snapback]

The man stinks- he's horrible, and he's a complete coward- gutless. Given the chance, I'd prove it by telling him to his face.

Anyone who plays the race card like that is guttless.

Racist?  I dunno.  Clearly there's a backlash against the Hip-Hop Culture in the NBA.  Baggy clothes, bling-bling and the like.  While it's not just Black players wearing this stuff, it certainly has a base among the Hip-Hop crowd which is largely young and urban...often Black.  I sure see plenty of White and Asian kids with that look here in SF. 

But, let's not pur our heads in the sand here...there are some racial overtones.  The guys in charge of the league (and the networks...and the owners of the team) are predominately old White guys (like me).  And these old White guys don't like that look.  Many old White fans don't like that look.  My guess is the NBA looses some $$$ because of that look (old White ad execs shy away)...they lose old White audiences, etc.

It probably is a little racist.  My question is why do this?  I don't like the look...but so what?

480527[/snapback]

Hip hop culture and pop culture will be gone soon....thankfully.....then people will once again be able to behave like they have an iq over 15

Is this just a dress code for the players participating in team/leauge related events (games, practices, PR stuff) or is it a 24/7 dress code (i.e. guys can't wear their jewelry in the middle of july at a resort in the keys?)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2194537

ok, i answered my own question.

Now, if this clown wanted to start a real argument, he should start wearing a crucifix or a star of david and claim religious discrimination.

480752[/snapback]

What about all those racist offices? I don't think they let people wear sweatshirts or gold chains, either.

The NBA should offer a quid pro quo:

1. Wear what you want.

2. The refs will call every palming and travelling violation and every offensive charge. When you big stars start fouling out in the 2nd quarter, and watch your scoring averages drop, and your endorsements fall off the cliff, come back and let's talk about proper dress.

:ph34r:

The NBA should offer a quid pro quo:

1. Wear what you want.

2. The refs will call every palming and travelling violation and every offensive charge.  When you big stars start fouling out in the 2nd quarter, and watch your scoring averages drop, and your endorsements fall off the cliff, come back and let's talk about proper dress.

:ph34r:

481135[/snapback]

Bingo!!