Debates

BillsNYC

As a trial lawyer I can say that the debates will be easy for Edwards. Trial lawyers, at one level, "perform" for a jury. Their job is to convince an undecided body to believe them by utilizing various skills. Edwards was not a good trial lawyer - he was one of the best in the country!  lawyers used to attend his trials just to watch him. He was like the Jordan of the legal world. Those skills will shine during the debates.

Where Cheney comes off as the old, wise, but very mean boss/father figure. If you contrast the two it will be a very stark difference.

35364[/snapback]

I think you're selling Cheney a little short...he can be personable, and he's usually pretty sharp and well-spoke, from what I've seen.

But yes, Edwards' trial lawyer experience is indisputable...and indisputably valuable in a debate. Trials are, after all, debates in a sense...

No, civil trials, like Edwards does are about BSing 12 dumb people with tactics like "channeling".

35450[/snapback]

The Jury is made up of a cross-section of the public - you are a member of the public - have you ever been BSed by "channeling?"

If you knew how much work, preperation, time, skill, and money went into advocating for someone's rights at a trial you would not say such stupid stevestojan.

I love the debates, especially the VP ones.

Personally, I think Cheney will destroy Edwards. It will be like an old man patting  a little boy on the head saying "good try son"

34917[/snapback]

Um these guys are not running for president, who the hell cares what they have to say. Are you so bored with your life that the VP debtes excite you? If that is the case, may I suggest taking up tuesday night Bingo at Asumption Church. That should be slightly more exciting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...6-2004Aug3.html

debate over,  chenney ran a company during a time when they over stated their profits to their shareholders by 45%

he belongs in the clink next to john rigas

he is a corporate theif

and dont even try to say he didnt know what was going on, it was the people under him doing the damage.  so he is incapable of knowing what is going on in a company?

35658[/snapback]

You are single-handedly the worst speller EVER. It's not theif. It's thief. It's not beleive, it's believe.

Meanwhile, back to the debate issue; interesting conversation on Dennis Miller last night with some pundits. The Democrat chick said she was disappointed that Kerry was keeping Edwards in the background because he has the ability to connect with the audience, unlike Kerry. She said she feels Edwards needs to be the one wearing hardhats and throwing pitches. They all also agreed that in a debate, Cheney will kill Edwards, but that it really doesn't matter because noone ever votes for a Vice President.

It will be most entertaining to watch, without question.

In the meantime, if someone tries to tell you Cheney is a theif, don't beleive it.

Um these guys are not running for president, who the hell cares what they have to say. Are you so bored with your life that the VP debtes excite you? If that is the case, may I suggest taking up tuesday night Bingo at Asumption Church. That should be slightly more exciting.

35712[/snapback]

Assumption Church has BINGO? And I'm sitting HERE on a Friday night?

Man, that's messed up. <_<

The Jury is made up of a cross-section of the public - you are a member of the public - have you ever been BSed by "channeling?"

If you knew how much work, preperation, time, skill, and money went into advocating for someone's rights at a trial you would not say such stupid stevestojan.

35620[/snapback]

No, but 12 people were BSed by Edwards. It's bloodsuckers like Edwards that have driven the cost of health care through the roof with frivolous lawsuits .

The aim of lawyers in these types of cases and in in criminal defense trial is to get the 12 dumbest people they can so that they can BS them- the best example is the OJ jury.

A few years trial experience is no match for a guy who was chief of staff, secretary of defense, a congressman and a vice president. Lets not forget his business experience either. Plus he's an excellent interviewer with years of experience.

35172[/snapback]

I dunno, back in 2000 Al Gore was infinitely more qualified to become president, but his constant sighing in disbelief at the stupidity of his challenger, seemed to cost him many debate points. If Edwards has a chance to ask Cheney a question, he should ask him something like "okay, you are all about family, god, and puppies, yet you have a gay daughter. You think she should have the right to be married by law, but your boss says she shouldn't. So where exactly do you stand on family? Would you sell your daughter out, just to get a job?" That would be funny. I think Edwards will do fine, but it ultiimately won't matter....

I dunno, back in 2000 Al Gore was infinitely more qualified to become president, but his constant sighing in disbelief at the stupidity of his challenger, seemed to cost him many debate points.  If Edwards has a chance to ask Cheney a question, he should ask him something like "okay, you are all about family, god, and puppies, yet you have a gay daughter.  You think she should have the right to be married by law, but your boss says she shouldn't.  So where exactly do you stand on family?  Would you sell your daughter out, just to get a job?"  That would be funny.  I think Edwards will do fine, but it ultiimately won't matter....

35814[/snapback]

Infinitely? Yeah. A real legend in his own mind.

No, but 12 people were BSed  by Edwards.  It's bloodsuckers like Edwards that have driven the cost of health care through the roof with frivolous lawsuits .

The aim of lawyers in these types of cases and in in criminal defense trial is to get the 12 dumbest people they can so that they can BS them- the best example is the OJ jury.

35784[/snapback]

Not too different. The aim of politicians during an election is to sway the dumbest cross-section of America to buy into their BS. Those who can think for themselves can see through the BS and have already made up their mind.

A few years trial experience is no match for a guy who was chief of staff, secretary of defense, a congressman and a vice president. Lets not forget his business experience either. Plus he's an excellent interviewer with years of experience.

Add to the fact that Kerry/Edwards really have no strong stance on any isues, and I'd say Edwards will get eaten alive.

35172[/snapback]

a sitting vice president that nobody particlulary likes but who is well versed on the issues vs a smooth talking telegenic younger senator

see also Nixon vs Kennedy, 1960

You are single-handedly the worst speller EVER. It's not theif. It's thief. It's not beleive, it's believe.

Meanwhile, back to the debate issue; interesting conversation on Dennis Miller last night with some pundits. The Democrat chick said she was disappointed that Kerry was keeping Edwards in the background because he has the ability to connect with the audience, unlike Kerry. She said she feels Edwards needs to be the one wearing hardhats and throwing pitches. They all also agreed that in a debate, Cheney will kill Edwards, but that it really doesn't matter because noone ever votes for a Vice President.

It will be most entertaining to watch, without question.

In the meantime, if someone tries to tell you Cheney is a theif, don't beleive it.

35718[/snapback]

You're right. Don't trust anyone who says Cheney is a "theif". Cheney being a "thief", however, is probably a great bet. Because, of course, it's thief, not theif, right?

As a trial lawyer I can say that the debates will be easy for Edwards. Trial lawyers, at one level, "perform" for a jury. Their job is to convince an undecided body to believe them by utilizing various skills. Edwards was not a good trial lawyer - he was one of the best in the country!  lawyers used to attend his trials just to watch him. He was like the Jordan of the legal world. Those skills will shine during the debates.

Where Cheney comes off as the old, wise, but very mean boss/father figure. If you contrast the two it will be a very stark difference.

35364[/snapback]

I will disagree with this.

I think there is a huge difference....between trial work and debates. The biggest difference will be the television coverage. If Edwards is thrown a "curve ball"....he may be quick on his feet, but, with the coverage even the slightest delay or "stutter" in responding to a question will be magnified over and over by MSBC...CNBC,.....FOX....etc..etc..

Whereas, I think that Cheney is good enough to not allow anything to cause him a delayed response or stuttered reply.

Am I safe in assuming that we all agree that the VP debates will at the very least be more watchable and less painful than watching Tweedledem and Tweedlerepub go at it?

35256[/snapback]

If by watchable you mean entertaining. I think it will be ridiculous-- Dr. Evil debating Austin Powers. :doh:

HAHA....this just gave me a great mental picture:

Cheney - "Your running mate voted for the war, then spoke out against the war, then says he supports the troops, then votes against their funding. Where does he stand?"

Edwards - "I OBJECT!"

Moderator - "Umm...Mr. Edwards, this is a debate, you must..."

Edwards - "MY CLIENT WISHES TO TAKE THE 5TH!!"

Moderator - "Mr. Edwards, can you please just answer the question....."

Edwards - "I HEAR AN AMBULANCE...I GOTTA GO!!!"

35222[/snapback]

You can't be serious. Do you know anything about law? If you are going to make a joke, at least understand the principles behind them.