Turnover 'Ratio'

Crows57

I keep repeatedly seeing the same mistake on both telecasts and in print. People refer to turnover differential as 'turnover ratio'.

For example, the Bills have 15 takeaways and 7 giveaways.

Their turnover differential is +8, which you'll commonly see as 'turnover ratio'.

A ratio is a comparison of two numbers, x/y.

Their turnover ratio is really 2.1 (15/7) which is something that I don't think anyone has ever intentionally used.

Unfortunately, there's several terms in football that aren't accurate. A reverse is usually an end around; I don't ever recall seeing an actual double reverse (unless what you consider what McGee does on KO returns :( ) A couple of weeks ago, the announcer referred to a pump-fake followed by a delayed handoff as a Statue of Liberty.

For that matter, when did 'defense' ever become a verb?

I could probably think of more, this is just what's off the top of my head.

I attempted to call WTEM 980 in WDC yesterday over this issue. :( Their beat reporter kept referring to the Redskins "-4 turnover ratio" and I was ready to pop a vein. Luckily, the lines were busy, but I have it on my list to write an email...

BTW, their beat reporter is the same guy who went off on Ralph Wilson over revenue sharing a couple of months ago as discussed here on the wall.

Unfortunately, there's several terms in football that aren't accurate.  A reverse is usually an end around; I don't ever recall seeing an actual double reverse  (unless what you consider what McGee does on KO returns :( )  A couple of weeks ago, the announcer referred to a pump-fake followed by a delayed handoff as a Statue of Liberty.

For that matter, when did 'defense' ever become a verb?

I could probably think of more, this is just what's off the top of my head.

479544[/snapback]

I have seen an an actual double-reverse...but a LONG time ago. This is where the QB sprints to one side, as if he's running...like an option QB, hands off to an end coming the other way (reversing the action for the first time) who hands off to another ball carrier coming toward him (reversing the action for the 2nd time). This is the kind of play that loses 15 yards these days.

and you are correct re: the Statue of Liberty play. I saw an announcer call that a week or so ago (I think in a Bills game) and laughed...THAT is not a SoL play, for Christsake!

But the worst, for me is "The ground can't cause a fumble". BULLS#IT! The ground most certainly CAN cause a fumble. A ball carrier is running and falls down on his own (no contact with a defensive player)...he hits the ground and the ball pops loose due to the contact with the ground...THAT is a fumble...and the ground caused it.

What the ground can't do is cause a fumble after the play is over...but neither can another player cause a fumble after the play is over. No one and Nothing can cause a fumble after the play is over. When a player goes down as a result of contact, the play is over the MOMENT his knee (or basically any part of his body other than his hand) or the ball touches the ground.

Is that really that hard of a concept?

Let's figure out the difference between re-sign and resign before we start trying to do any math.

479506[/snapback]

through and threw.

Parity and parody (though it's kinda funny)

trade and tarde. :(

and, yes, calling an end-around a reverse is annoying too.