Why Didn't Willis Carry The Ball This Much..

Mark VI

Now he's getting 10-15 more carries and the Bills are controlling the clock. Holcomb is the right choice now but all we heard was this plan of pounding the ball with a first year QB. Instead, the Bills abandoned the run for long streaks in all of Losmans starts. His poise was shot, asking him to do waaaaaay too much with his arm and legs. He wasn't ready to carry a full playbook and Mularkey is to blame here. The sales job stated was to run often and throw the short stuff. Isn't that exactly what they're doing now ??

Now Willis is seeing the rock and we're 2-0. Giving the ball to #21. What a concept. :blink: Kind of sets up a lot of other opportunities, if you stick to the plan. Who cares if the D stacks the line on some plays. Run it anyhow and control some clock !

The coaches corrected their mistake. The 1-3 start could easily have been 3-1, if they practiced what they preached. Losman will be back and still is our future. Hopefully, the dunderheads with the headsets will handle this better the 2nd time around. :D

Now he's getting 10-15 more carries and the Bills are controlling the clock. Holcomb is the right choice now but all we heard was this plan of pounding the ball with a first year QB. Instead, the Bills abandoned the run for long streaks in all of Losmans starts. His poise was shot, asking him to do waaaaaay too much with his arm and legs. He wasn't ready to carry a full playbook and Mularkey is to blame here. The sales job stated was to run often and throw the short stuff. Isn't that exactly what they're doing now ??

Now Willis is seeing the rock and we're 2-0. Giving the ball to #21. What a concept.  :doh:  Kind of sets up a lot of other opportunities, if you stick to the plan. Who cares if the D stacks the line on some plays. Run it anyhow and control some clock !

The coaches corrected their mistake. The 1-3 start could easily have been 3-1, if they practiced what they preached. Losman will be back and still is our future. Hopefully, the dunderheads with the headsets will handle this better the 2nd time around.  :D

478955[/snapback]

Great post and points. I'd make a longer response, but I'm anxious to get back and see your Avatar! :blink:

They dumbed down the offense for JP, and the coaches thought it applied to them as well. Stuupid! Stuupid! Stuupid!

479036[/snapback]

[/quot

JP is and was real bad. i hope he's not our future cause if he is, its pretty bleak.

Clearly he could not manage whatever offense he was given and our many 3 and out drives prove it.

Not to say KH is the futute, but hes a good short term fix

JP is and was real bad.  i hope he's not our future cause if he is, its pretty bleak.

Clearly he could not manage whatever offense he was given and our many 3 and out drives prove it.

479065[/snapback]

... He says... After FOUR games. :D

Now he's getting 10-15 more carries and the Bills are controlling the clock. Holcomb is the right choice now but all we heard was this plan of pounding the ball with a first year QB. Instead, the Bills abandoned the run for long streaks in all of Losmans starts.

478955[/snapback]

Greaaaat. Now I have to rewatch the first six games tom compare the defensive alignments vs our two QBs to reprove my point. The other factor could be that Bills were making more mistakes on offense w/ JP in there putting them in more obvious passing situations.

cus i dont remember willis getting 7 yards on first down with JP in the game.

they cant keep that 8th and 9th player in the box with holcomb, like they could with JP.

479032[/snapback]

No...The coaches kept making stupid calls to have JP throw LONG passes

instead of the dink and dunks that are being thrown by Holcomb...Also

veteran WRs like Moulds refused to help out the kid by coming back for

the ball....He had already made up his mind that he did not want JP throwing

to him.

They dumbed down the offense for JP, and the coaches thought it applied to them as well. Stuupid! Stuupid! Stuupid!

479036[/snapback]

[/quot

JP is and was real bad. i hope he's not our future cause if he is, its pretty bleak.

479065[/snapback]

People keep forgetting about the following:

1. The game that JP managed against Houston....The Jets and Miami teams

that we played are pretty comparable to Houston in the mediocrity dept.

2. JP gets to play roads games against Tampa Bay and in a noisy dome at

San Antonio.......Tampa Bay probably is leading in all defensive categories

in the NFL now. They have manhandled pretty much every one in the

AFC East..

3. JP gets to play a tough game against Atlanta at home, where the defense

could never get off the field on 3rd and longs.....They let Vick, Dunn and

Duckett run for 240 yards...and control the clock....

4. KH is yet to see any of the above.....If KH managed the games at home

very well, then how JP managed the Houston game should not be

conviniently forgotten....

I want the bills to win, so I don't care how we win...but please don't make

KH look like a god...

?

HOU 22 Carries

TB 13 carries (2.6 YPC - This is the #1 rushing D in the NFL....)

Atl 27 Carries

NO 16 Carries

MIA 31 Carries

NYJ 29 Carries

So your 10-15 carries more is true in two cases, one against the #1 rushing D. Overall (including Shaud and others, but not including Losman, since no one can agree on how many of his rushes were designed) rush/pass ratio certainly was the highest against the Jets, but we were getting 6+ YPC in the first half...Interestingly, even with being behind, the TB game was the only game where our Rush/Pass ratio decreased in the second half.

more 1st downs=more plays on offense

Yup, a QB who can move the chains on 3rd&6 helps a lot. MM said as much.

they cant keep that 8th and 9th player in the box with holcomb, like they could with JP.

479032[/snapback]

True, but to be fair, the Jets were about the only team in the league that didn't put 8+ in the box against us last year or the year before. It's just not something they like to do for some reason. We're going to see lots of 8-man fronts the rest of the year, and how well Holcomb handles it will be the key to the season IMO.

People keep forgetting about the following:

1. The game that JP managed against Houston....The Jets and Miami teams

that we played are pretty comparable to Houston in the mediocrity dept.

2. JP gets to play roads games against Tampa Bay and in a noisy dome at

San Antonio.......Tampa Bay probably is leading in all defensive categories

in the NFL now.  They have manhandled pretty much every one in the

AFC East..

3. JP gets to play a tough game against Atlanta at home, where the defense

could never get off the field on 3rd and longs.....They let Vick, Dunn and

Duckett run for 240 yards...and control the clock....

4. KH is yet to see any of the above.....If KH managed the games at home

very well, then how JP managed the Houston game should not be

conviniently forgotten....

I want the bills to win, so I don't care how we win...but please don't make

KH look like a god...

479089[/snapback]

Please read "not the future, good short term fix"

Maybe for a Losman supporter that is godlike, but for the rest of us, hes a way to get some points on the board and some support from the other players

479032[/snapback]

That's exactly it. The defenses can't just stack the line continuously against KH, because he'll check to a quick slant (just like the Lee Evans against Miami play) and burn them. There's a whole different thought process with a veteran QB. With a rook (or 1st year starter) they challenge that QB to beat you by stacking the line. Hence, less first downs and less touched for Willis. They had to throw with JP, it was the only way to open up the run game....