Clements is a Pro Bowl player...

A. Hands down, McGee is the heart and soul of our team. A young player who does everything well and is getting better by the game. He's a game breaker and a team player. Need to keep him for years to come.

B. Clements has great skills, is a good cover corner, but is not a team player and makes bonehead mistakes at the worst times. IMO he is overrated. We can let him go and replace him with another FA for much less money and use the savings to lock up player A.

A.  Hands down, McGee is the heart and soul of our team.  A young player who does everything well and is getting better by the game.  He's a game breaker and a team player.  Need to keep him for years to come.

B.  Clements has great skills, is a good cover corner, but is not a team player and makes bonehead mistakes at the worst times.  IMO he is overrated.  We can let him go and replace him with another FA for much less money and use the savings to lock up player A.

478881[/snapback]

A is somewhat correct. But the heart and soul? Also, I think keeping Clements is important. A big test will be this weekend against Randy Moss.

A is somewhat correct.  But the heart and soul?  Also, I think keeping Clements is important.  A big test will be this weekend against Randy Moss.

478895[/snapback]

It doesn't look like Moss will play...Clements gets a break. Although, it always seems like the Bills get burned by some 3rd wide reciever all the time. Look out for 2 td's from Doug Gabriel or Ronald Curry.

It doesn't look like Moss will play...Clements gets a break. Although, it always seems like the Bills get burned by some 3rd wide reciever all the time.  Look out for 2 td's from Doug Gabriel or Ronald Curry.

478897[/snapback]

It won't be Curry, out for the year with torn achilles

Who did Justin McCareins have a big day against? I was watching on a small TV with no sound at a sports bar. Was he matched up with one DB or a combinaton? He had 5 catches for 116 yards.

A.  Hands down, McGee is the heart and soul of our team.  A young player who does everything well and is getting better by the game.  He's a game breaker and a team player.  Need to keep him for years to come.

B.  Clements has great skills, is a good cover corner, but is not a team player and makes bonehead mistakes at the worst times.  IMO he is overrated.  We can let him go and replace him with another FA for much less money and use the savings to lock up player A.

478881[/snapback]

Interesting, I'm not sure if I agree yet or not. However, I watched the Jets game again yesterday, and on the Jets 1st TD (i think), Vinny threw 2 passes to the end zone. The first was defended perfectly by McGee. The second was thrown towards Clements, and he got a PI call against him, because he didn't really play the ball and had his hands all over the reciever. Now, the two passes weren't exactly the same, but that definitely was a different McGee than the one who Santana Moss completely burned for a long TD pass last year.

Interesting, I'm not sure if I agree yet or not.  However, I watched the Jets game again yesterday, and on the Jets 1st TD (i think), Vinny threw 2 passes to the end zone.  The first was defended perfectly by McGee.  The second was thrown towards Clements, and he got a PI call against him, because he didn't really play the ball and had his hands all over the reciever.  Now, the two passes weren't exactly the same, but that definitely was a different McGee than the one who Santana Moss completely burned for a long TD pass last year.

480891[/snapback]

McGee has stepped up his game and he will continue to do so. We are watching a star in the making.

McGee was the guy primarly covering McCareins.

481012[/snapback]

McGee is a good player, and he makes things happen when he has the ball, but he is an average corner. Yes, an awsome KR, but this love fest is a bit ridiculous. He does have a nose for the ball, but he also gets beat in coverage throughout the game.

McGee is a good player, and he makes things happen when he has the ball, but he is an average corner.  Yes, an awsome KR, but this love fest is a bit ridiculous.  He does have a nose for the ball, but he also gets beat in coverage throughout the game.

481022[/snapback]

No no, don't say that. He' a better corner than Nate now. You didn't get the message?

They have stopped going after McGee and they now pick on Nate. :ph34r:

Nate is the #1 for a reason. He takes the #1 receiver the majority of the game., and usually does a very good job on him. He's a big corner and a good tackler.

You guys that don't want to pay Nate are gonna be bitching next year when teams are throwing all over this team. Remember their pass rush isn't the greatest on 3rd downs so that makes it even more difficult on the corners. McGee will move to the #1 if Clements leaves, and it's a whole new ballgame for him then. He is not very big and #1 receivers will give him problems. I don't even want to think about the #'s 2,3,@4 behind him.

Let's sign both of them.

No no, don't say that. He' a better corner than Nate now. You didn't get the message?

They have stopped going after McGee and they now pick on Nate.  :ph34r:

Nate is the #1 for a reason. He takes the #1 receiver the majority of the game., and usually does a very good job on him. He's a big corner and a good tackler.

You guys that don't want to pay Nate are gonna be bitching next year when teams are throwing all over this team. Remember their pass rush isn't the greatest on 3rd downs so that makes it even more difficult on the corners. McGee will move to the #1 if Clements leaves, and it's a whole new ballgame for him then. He is not very big and #1 receivers will give him problems. I don't even want to think about the #'s 2,3,@4 behind him.

Let's sign both of them.

481045[/snapback]

I aggree we want to sign both of them and with a new salary cap which we blossom with the new TV contracts in place and TD managing both the amount of contracts well and the FA resigning needs of the Bills we should be able to have both under contract next year.

However, I don't think that we should feel we are DOOOOMED if we do not resign Clements for some reason, while many teams begin to struggle at CB when they put the nickel on the field, we actually have sevral reasonable candidates for the 2, 3, and 4 slots.

McGee would likely have to step up to be a #1 shutdown corner and though this is not a stone cold lock it is easily possible given his production as a pro to date.

Draftee King struggled this pre-season but now seems to becoming a productive player and looks like a definite nickel next year and poaaibly (though it is still a bit early to declare this likely will compete for #2.

Greer showed some very good stuff this pre-season though opponents success on 3rd down is a challenge out current nickel must meet, but he also is at least a candidate for a #2 slot.

Kevin Thomas is clearly damaged goods and should not be counted upon, but given the recent wonders performed by modern medicine ranging from WM rehab to a quicker comeback than I expected from Campbell he cannot be counted out as a nickel candidate either.

In a real pinch Vincent is no longer the #1 CB that made the Pro Bowl but we are talking about making it work in a pinch here and both the nickel and even the #2 CB roles are a downsizing of demands on this former #1.

Add to all of this that if Clements were to go for some reason (I doubt he will since it probably would be a financial boon to us under the new cap to give him the franchise tag as there will be a lag between the coming of the new cap and the top 5 CB salaries rising to inflate the tag salary level. This potential alone is likely to force Clements to sign) then the Bills would likely be the lead team in the market for any available CBs with mondo $ under the new cap and already having budgeted for a resigning of Clements.

I have little doubt we would be able to sign at least competition for McGee to be a #1 CB or attract a player on the market if there is a Ty Law available as there was this year.

I think we are in great shape at CB right now and for next season.

If we lose Clements I wouldn't say we are in great shape.

McGee, King, Greer are all small corners. Thomas I'm not even counting as I think he won't even be here next year. He was a step slow before his injury. Vincent could play some corner if need but is getting old.

If they go into fa to get a corner that will cost some good $$$. Not Clements $$$ but I'd rather pay the difference and keep NC.

Best player on the team besides Willis.

480861[/snapback]

The best player on the team (other than Willis) is our #2CB? I admire his KO return ability too, but it doesn't catapult him that far up the list. I'm guessing if you talked to the players they'd mention lots of vets as the "heart and soul" before McGee.

I’d have to say Spikes and Fletcher are the heart and soul of the D.

Mcgee is still learning at the corner back position,but no way he's average,as you said he has a nose for the ball and you have to factor in his winfield like tackling abillity he really don't miss many tackles. I don't feel he's as good as cover guy as clements but he's clsoing the gap and can catch the ball when he gets a chance. It's amazing alofof peoplewere ragging on his coverage abillity in the preseason after less than a year of starting time, i thought he showed very well in coverage last year for the minimal reps he had starting!