UB Football...it's official

Not that we needed any proof, but this week UB is officially the #119 ranked team out of 119 Div.1-A football programs.

National ranking

Here's a thought, With things coming apart for the Saints, you think Jim Haslett would be interested in returning to Western New York to resucitate UB Football? I'm sure his wife (a WNY native) has had about enough of N.O.

PTR

Here's a thought,  With things coming apart for the Saints, you think Jim Haslett would be interested in returning to Western New York to resucitate UB Football?  I'm sure his wife (a WNY native) has had about enough of N.O.

473654[/snapback]

Maybe as our new defensive coordinator next year. I doubt he'd want to undertake such an awful program like UB. It would be interesting and great for UB if he did. There's no saving UB. I don't even think the problem is all coaching right now. We may see the Wildkats of ECC vs UB soon. :blink:

Not that we needed any proof, but this week UB is officially the #119 ranked team out of 119 Div.1-A football programs. 

National ranking

Here's a thought,  With things coming apart for the Saints, you think Jim Haslett would be interested in returning to Western New York to resucitate UB Football?  I'm sure his wife (a WNY native) has had about enough of N.O.

PTR

473654[/snapback]

I saw them play a few years back before they became 1-A. I think they squeaked one out against some dental school from PA if I'm not mistaken.

-They haven't improved I see.

Check their recruiting budget vs. the other MAC schools - they've been trying to field a D-I team on a D-II payroll. Until that changes, don't expect them to get much better....

Check their recruiting budget vs. the other MAC schools - they've been trying to field a D-I team on a D-II payroll. Until that changes, don't expect them to get much better....

473665[/snapback]

Actually, they did recently increase the budget, put down a new field, upgraded the facilities at the stadium ( weight room, locker room etc.) . Recruits used to walk in, see the lack of facilities and walk out, never to return. Seems the new AD wants to get the program moving.

He doesn't have to worry about basketball. They got that right by hiring Reggie Witherspoon a few years back. He turned that program into a winner pretty fast.

Jim Hofner is in over his head on the football side. They have never shown one instance of getting better in his 5 years. He was extended a year to 2006 for recruiting purposes last spring but an 0-11 season may be happening in East Amherst. If so, he's got to go. It's a nice 30,000 seat stadium and the locals would love to get behind them. The AD has to know this and should make a move.

I got all fired up because on the crawler on the bottom of the Miami/Duke game, it said Akron 13 Buffalo 14. I figured they must have gone nuts up there. Then the crawler changed to Akron 13/ Buffalo 7.

Bummer.

Hofher's coaching tenure at UB is winding down. NO way they keep him after another crummy season. The new AD will want to make his own hire and start fresh. UB has upgraded some aspects of football facilities but they still have a ways to go. Another obstacle...Other MAC schools can also promise kids some TV games and UB can't do that right now. That's a big sell. Not until they have some wins under their belt. The kid QB Willy looks like he could be decent so maybe that's a start to a better future.

473665[/snapback]

I've seen it reported in the Buffalo News that the UB football program is "underfunded", but I've never seen the numbers to back this up. It would be nice if the writer who covers UB for the News did an article on this. Real simple....obtain the football budgets from each MAC school and let the public decide if UB is "underfunded" and by how much .

Actually, they did recently increase the budget, put down a new field, upgraded the facilities at the stadium ( weight room, locker room etc.) . Recruits used to walk in, see the lack of facilities and walk out, never to return. Seems the new AD wants to get the program moving.

He doesn't have to worry about basketball. They got that right by hiring Reggie Witherspoon a few years back. He turned that program into a winner pretty fast.

Jim Hofner is in over his head on the football side. They have never shown one instance of getting better in his 5 years. He was extended a year to 2006 for recruiting purposes last spring but an 0-11 season may be happening in East Amherst. If so, he's got to go. It's a nice 30,000 seat stadium and the locals would love to get behind them. The AD has to know this and should make a move.

473671[/snapback]

Mark...excellent summary of the situation. Bringing in the new AD was the first step in trying to turn this program around. I think he brings a big school mentality in, which is what we need. I agree that Hofner is out, and I hope that the AD can excercise some of his Big Ten contacts into bringing a reputable and experienced coach in.

Recruiting has to start at home first. Update NY and western PA generate some pretty decent players, so keeping some of them home is the first step.

This program could succeed if the right people are put into place. The first step is to replace Hofner with someone who can get some decent kids in here.

I have a feeling the new coach will be a Michigan Assistant.  The new AD is from U of MI. 

It is coaching and recruiting.  Given the right coach this program will be back to 4 wins a season soon.

473657[/snapback]

I appreciate the optimism but that just isn't realistic. 4 Wins? Pretty pathetic standards but I know what you're saying. We have to start somewhere. Problem is we haven't even STARTED yet. I'll have to see a glance of progress before I assume we'll start recruiting better and picking better coaches. It's been the same old story since we came to D-1.

No one wants to come to UB and it's a shame. I wish we did have a somewhat competitive team because I've just started to really enjoy college football. Notre Dame is a blast to watch. As is USC, Texas, Michigan, Miami and a few others. Obviously those are huge programs and we'll seemingly never come close to those programs but maybe by the time i'm 100 we'll have some good games with Marshall.

The sad thing too is that its obvious the Big East is down from a football standpoint. If UB had developed an even halfway decent program, they might have been able to join the Big East this past season like USF, Louisville and Cincinnati did.

And look at the rise of the UConn football program. It was obviously helped by the prominence and success of the basketball programs, but still...

I don't think any coach will have sustained success at UB. The program is a joke, the school's campus bland at best, but ugly is an accurate word, and the weather here sucks. It's easy to say "Pick up the scraps left behind down in Florida and Texas," but how do you get them to come here? There are probably 200 schools between here and there that these kids would rather attend.

Omar Jacobs is the star QB for Bowling Green. He was mentioned as a possible dark horse Heisman candidate before this season started. He is from DelRay Beach, FL, and was lightly recruited. He narrowed his college choices to UB and Bowling Green. UB brought him up here in December 2002, and the sky dumped 7 feet of snow on Buffalo. Surprise surprise...This kid will be playing QB for Bowling Green against UB this Saturday.

I play hoops every Tuesday night in Alumni Arena. Just walking around the halls in there, the facilities are second-rate. I'm not sure they will ever be able to recruit.

Another thing to think about is the overal lquality of high school football players in the immediate area. Here at Miami U, we get a bunch of the good players that dont get scholarships to OSU, Michigan, etc. I'm from WNY but since I've been going to school here in Ohio, it's very obvious that the quality of high school football here is way above that of WNY. The best big school teams from WNY could probably get worked by some of the smaller division teams here. They're sure as hell serious about their football in Ohio.

I have a feeling the new coach will be a Michigan Assistant.  The new AD is from U of MI. 

It is coaching and recruiting.  Given the right coach this program will be back to 4 wins a season soon.

473657[/snapback]

LOL. Back to four wins a season. I left a layer of sprite on my computer screen as I read that.

tr

Another thing to think about is the overal lquality of high school football players in the immediate area. Here at Miami U, we get a bunch of the good players that dont get scholarships to OSU, Michigan, etc. I'm from WNY but since I've been going to school here in Ohio, it's very obvious that the quality of high school football here is way above that of WNY. The best big school teams from WNY could probably get worked by some of the smaller division teams here. They're sure as hell serious about their football in Ohio.

474129[/snapback]

Being in Ohio and considering that 3 or 4 schools in the MAC are from Ohio, I have a question for you. How are the universities and the towns they are located in, more attractive(outside of recent won-loss records) to a football player than UB?

Look...we all know that Buffalo gets a bad rap, especially weather-wise. I spent five years at UB in the mid-80's and had a great time. The school has grown so much since that time, with many many improvements in all facets of campus life and the athletic facilities.

To me, the main problem with UB is that the football program has a complete lack of credibility. The new AD is obviously going to be given the chance to make some changes (i.e. new coach, increase funding), so I think we have to look at this as at least another five year program to see if things can begin to be turned around.

I think the new AD will make a difference. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for UB football that no one mentioned is a lack of a gut major. Most football powers have majors in basket weaving or gym so their players can maintain their grades. UB refused to do that.

But I think that will change soon. UB has gone too far down the road with football to turn back. Besides, the basketball team has given them a taste of what having a quality program does for a school's cred.

I am serious about Haslett. There have been whispers that he has been approached. He likes Buffalo. His wife wants to live there again and hates the south. Sure it's a big step down from the NFL, but how cool is it to be the guy who brings a football program back from the dead? Recruiting? How many guys would like to play for an ex-NFL coach?

PTR

Being in Ohio and considering that 3 or 4 schools in the MAC are from Ohio, I have a question for you. How are the universities and the towns they are located in, more attractive(outside of recent won-loss records) to a football player than UB?

I'm assuming that this is a serious question (if not sorry I missed the sarcasm).I'd probably guess a combination of things. It's cliche, but like many people have said weather is probably one thing. I mean honestly every time I meet someone and say I'm from Buffalo the first thing they say is "man you got all that snow there." It's like people think it snows in Buffalo year round. I'm sure the fact that they're closer to home is nice for family and friends to be able to see games. It seems to me like the schools here do show a commitment to winning and being contenders each year. I know this is kinda related to win/loss records but like someone else mentioned earlier the prospect of some national tv games must be exciting. I mean we have 4 national tv games this year and we probably won't even win the MAC. The schools are for the most part nice campuses in smaller, middle of nowhere type college towns. Its a fun atmosphere to be in at college not having to worry about "big city" stuff. Also, I know at this campus the fact that rich extremely hot girls seem to multiply by the day can't hurt. I know there are great looking women at every school, but man at this campus its something else. I'm sure anyone thats been here can vouch. Overall, its probably just a combination of many things that make it more appealing to stay close to home than to the "unknown" of UB.

I'm assuming that this is a serious question (if not sorry I missed the sarcasm).I'd probably guess a combination of things. It's cliche, but like many people have said weather is probably one thing. I mean honestly every time I meet someone and say I'm from Buffalo the first thing they say is "man you got all that snow there." It's like people think it snows in Buffalo year round. I'm sure the fact that they're closer to home is nice for family and friends to be able to see games. It seems to me like the schools here do show a commitment to winning and being contenders each year. I know this is kinda related to win/loss records but like someone else mentioned earlier the prospect of some national tv games must be exciting. I mean we have 4 national tv games this year and we probably won't even win the MAC. The schools are for the most part nice campuses in smaller, middle of nowhere type college towns. Its a fun atmosphere to be in at college not having to worry about "big city" stuff. Also, I know at this campus the fact that rich extremely hot girls seem to multiply by the day can't hurt. I know there are great looking women at every school, but man at this campus its something else. I'm sure anyone thats been here can vouch. Overall, its probably just a combination of many things that make it more appealing to stay close to home than to the "unknown" of UB.

474224[/snapback]

It was a serious question. Thanks for the insights.

I've heard that the girls at Miami U are hot and the campus is beautiful. As for places like Kent, Akron, Toledo, etc.. I refuse to believe they are more attractive than UB. Although i will admit, Akron is putting major $ into facilities and Toledo is good and always manipulates their schedule to get TV games which is important to recruits.

National ranking

PTR

473654[/snapback]

Sorry, but they blamed the coach last time. And I think it was a very good football coach that got fired. The guy they got now is very good as well.

I've heard that the girls at Miami U are hot and the campus is beautiful.  As for places like Kent, Akron, Toledo, etc.. I refuse to believe they are more attractive than UB.  Although i will admit, Akron is putting major $ into facilities and Toledo is good and always manipulates their schedule to get TV games which is important to recruits.

474407[/snapback]

I seem to recall seeing Toledo on ESPN and they were playing in some 100 year old dump of a stadium. I take it they are building a new facility?

PTR

I've seen it reported in the Buffalo News that the UB football program is "underfunded", but I've never seen the numbers to back this up.  It would be nice if the writer who covers UB for the News did an article on this.  Real simple....obtain the football budgets from each MAC school and let the public decide if UB is "underfunded" and by how much .

473705[/snapback]

Just happen to have the June 5, 2005 BuffNews sports section in front of me right now. Headline: "UB light on pay scale", story by Rodney McKissic.

The average salary of a head coach at UB is $59,341, lowest in the MAC. (Ohio U. is next-lowest at $60,846; seven of the other 10 schools pay their HC over $70K.) The salary of an average UB assistant coach also ranks 12th out of 12 schools, at less than $30K/year.

I was wrong about the recruiting budget, though - looks like UB is middle-of-the-pack in the MAC.

The numbers were taken from the Corrigan Report, prepared by the former head of the NCAA. Here's what he had to say about UB:

"It is my opinion that if you stay on the present course, you will not see a great deal of improvement," Corrigan wrote. "But I also believe that UB can have a successful athletic program, with program resource support reallocation and some additional financial support."

More from McKissic:

Corrigan's report said that if UB wants to support a successful athletics program at the NCAA Division I level, the MAC "is the right place for UB, particularly if Division I-A football is valued." The report noted, nevertheless, that the school was "not well positioned" when the decision was made to join the highly competitive league in 1999.

One last bit from Corrigan:

"Even if the program shows progress, you will still need to be spending more money than you do presently in order to keep assistant coaches, and improve the facilities," the report said. "Hopefully, in the future, this money will come from increased attendance at your home games, and guarantees received for playing up in the early season. In short, if you plan to keep football at the MAC level, it will take a commitment that is not evident at UB at the present time."

As some of you have pointed out, that may already be starting to change. I wish UB well in the effort...

Just happen to have the June 5, 2005 BuffNews sports section in front of me right now. Headline: "UB light on pay scale", story by Rodney McKissic.

The average salary of a head coach at UB is $59,341, lowest in the MAC. (Ohio U. is next-lowest at $60,846; seven of the other 10 schools pay their HC over $70K.) The salary of an average UB assistant coach also ranks 12th out of 12 schools, at less than $30K/year.

I was wrong about the recruiting budget, though - looks like UB is middle-of-the-pack in the MAC.

The numbers were taken from the Corrigan Report, prepared by the former head of the NCAA. Here's what he had to say about UB:

As some of you have pointed out, that may already be starting to change. I wish UB well in the effort...

474742[/snapback]

Thanks Lori. I must have missed this article in the Buffalo News. :)

Thanks Lori.  I must have missed this article in the Buffalo News. :)

474782[/snapback]

No prob. I knew I kept that particular issue for a reason....

Googling "Corrigan Report" brought me to this...

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/stories...30/daily18.html

and this...

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/headlin...05-report.shtml

Happy reading.

474742[/snapback]

Lori...I believe one other point made in that report was that it was very important to higher a new AD. Having read about the plans this new AD has, a large part of which is to increase funding to the football program (i.e. more money to higher a decent coach), I think they def are ready to make the commitment to better the program.

UB dropped the ball on this. They did it all half-assed. They were not serious in putting together a football program. The facilities were garbage. The recruiting was garbage. The staff was not I-A material. The new AD better do some things. They should have spent the money years ago. They could have positioned themselves much better if they had a clear direction and strong leadership. They should have been in the Big East this year with a decent program on the rise (see UConn). People would show up to see the local team play schools like Syracuse, Pitt and West Virginia instead of Akron, Toledo and Central Michigan. Non-conference games against schools like Ohio State, Penn State and Notre Dame would be huge events as well as make money to put back into the school and sports program. No question in my mind they could draw almost as well as the Bills do. Instead they get 7,000 to see a hapless, sad excuse of a football program play Akron.

Building a strong program takes patience and consistency over the long haul.

If you give into the impatient people who can come up with nothing better than change the coach....then you'll be stuck in the cycle of losing with a new coach for another round.

Not to put words in your mouth, but that doesn't make him a bad coach either.

475511[/snapback]

No but it's strange that a coach who seems to have plenty of "coaching years" left in the tank, would go from a top asst. at Penn State to UB HC to fall off the face of the earth.