I am very conflicted

rastabillz

Sorry in advance for yet another JP/JH thread.

On an intellectual level I can understand starting KH this week. This sunday is basically a must win situation for this team right now. A home loss to a division foe would be devestating to the teams psyche. The coaching staff is obviously going with who they think will give us the best chance to win. From what little I know about KH he seems like a capable QB with enough experience to give the offense a badly needed spark for the short term. Press reports indicate that the offesive veterans support this move, so maybe team chemistry played a role in the decesion.

On an emotional level I am against the benching of JP. It has a whiff of singling him out for the poor performance of the team so far this year. Yeah he has been struggling, but that is not unreasonable to expect with a first year starter. I do not think the coaching staff has had good game plans in place to help minimize JP's in- experience. We also have been struggling on the defensive side of the ball. It is a team effort (including coaching) that we sit at 1-3 at this point in the season.

I was glad the Bills decided to part ways with Drew Bledsoe. Not because I thought we would magically appear in the Super Bowl this year with his departure, but because I felt that DB had taken this team as far as he was going to ( 3 years and no playoffs) and it was time to build around a new QB. What frustrates me is that DB was never benched when he struggled. He would go games without a TD pass, and started last season 0-4, yet he never got benched for a "spark". Yet JP gets the hook in 2 games and now is being handed the clip board this week.

I don't understand how JP is going to learn riding the pine. He has been studying game film since the end of last season, and has been the starting QB in mini/training camps and pre-season and now after 4 games we are throwing in the towel on him? He is going to need game experience if he is ever going to take the next step. Are we just pushing off to the future the inevtiable growing pains we need to work though now?

I hope and pray that this is right decesion for this team.

Yes.  Just like the end of last year when MM continually trotted a stiff out there on a mirage of a playoff run.

468860[/snapback]

My gut feeling is that we are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Trying to win now but in the long run not making the playoffs and in the meantime hindering our QB of the "future".

My gut feeling is that we are robbing Peter to pay Paul. Trying to win now but in the long run not making the playoffs and in the meantime hindering our QB of the "future".

468862[/snapback]

That's my worry as well. JP hasn't been the letdown, because, we weren't supposed to be depending on him. The defense, special teams, and coaching have been the letdown this year.

Management and the coaches want to see if the team can bounce back and win some games. The AFC East appears weaker than last year and each team, other than the Dolphins, has experienced significant injuries. What is the down side? If we start winning some games, maybe we will be in the hunt for a playoff spot. If we continue to lose (or if KH plays poorly or gets hurt), than JP will again become the starter. I don't think JP's confidence should be affected by this. It is not his fault. The team needs to fix the o-line. He has experienced valuable playing time this year, and whether or not he plays during the remainder of the season (which he will), he will be better for it next year.

This is not JP v. KH. JP will not be cut in the offseason. This is a different situation than the siutations some other qbs were in (i.e., Aikman). This is a team with some talent and veterans that has the potential to win now. This was not supposed to be a rebuilding year and the roster does not reflect that kind of situation.

It is up to the coaches and the players. Let's see what happens this weekend.

but of course, he's an idiot too. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ills/index.html

by the way, it's time to start piling on troy vincent too - he approved of the move to the media because he said he wants to win. them's fightin' words, troy!

468906[/snapback]

If he wants to win, he should consider actually COVERING someone for a change instead of being 5 steps behind his man.

but of course, he's an idiot too. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writ...ills/index.html

by the way, it's time to start piling on troy vincent too - he approved of the move to the media because he said he wants to win. them's fightin' words, troy!

468906[/snapback]

Considering how utterly confused he's looked the last four games, if Vincent sincerely believes what he said he should be benching himself.

If he wants to win, he should consider actually COVERING someone for a change instead of being 5 steps behind his man.

469035[/snapback]

No doubt. On top of that, he tackles like a sissy. Then gets up, and celebrates like a bad ass. TV's tackling form is brutal, and I hate that he's on this team.

Way to go coach. You just made your "rookie" QB the scapegoat for the failures of the whole team. Why not bench the the O-line and D-line they're the ones who have been playing with thier heads up the #$%.

469053[/snapback]

I totally disagree - we've waited - what? 5 years for a decent playoff calibre team. All the while presuming that if we take our medicine (medicine being - salary cap hell, new system, new HC, new GM etc. etc.) then in just 2-3 years we'll be in great shape.

Well, in the new NFL - given the salary cap constraints - there is a small window maybe 2, maybe 3 years where any single given team has a chance to make the playoffs. The anomaly is the New England Patriots and they're just that - an anomaly. So, though we may have a rookie QB turning into a great QB in 3 years, the rest of the team may be in shambles or maybe not. But, right now the one thing we know is that our rookie QB isn't ready - but given the right circumstances and conditions, the rest of the team may play to their potential.

I rather take the known than the unknown...tomorrow isn't promised to us.

The O-line may suck, the D-line may suck - in fact I agree with you. The difference is those two units aren't in rebuilding mode. They are what they are and it is what we have. I rather take my chances with a veteran QB and see how this season goes.

If at some point the season is beyond our reach, then I say put our rookie QB in there and let him get his OJT.

There's too much at stake this early in the season to roll the dice with an inexperienced QB. Now if we decide to go with JP later or soon, then this off season, the front office needs to go heavy into FA and get the best OLs they can find. Especially in the interior positions. Though I think Duke Preston will be fine as our new center.

If we go into next season with essentially the same O-line then I hope the old man knows enough to can our GM...

Charles

I totally disagree - we've waited - what?  5 years for a decent playoff calibre team.  All the while presuming that if we take our medicine (medicine being - salary cap hell, new system, new HC, new GM etc. etc.) then in just 2-3 years we'll be in great shape.

Well, in the new NFL - given the salary cap constraints - there is a small window maybe 2, maybe 3 years where any single given team has a chance to make the playoffs.  The anomaly is the New England Patriots and they're just that - an anomaly.  So, though we may have a rookie QB turning into a great QB in 3 years, the rest of the team may be in shambles or maybe not.  But, right now the one thing we know is that our rookie QB isn't ready - but given the right circumstances and conditions, the rest of the team may play to their potential.

I rather take the known than the unknown...tomorrow isn't promised to us.

The O-line may suck, the D-line may suck - in fact I agree with you.  The difference is those two units aren't in rebuilding mode.  They are what they are and it is what we have.  I rather take my chances with a veteran QB and see how this season goes.

If at some point the season is beyond our reach, then I say put our rookie QB in there and let him get his OJT.

There's too much at stake this early in the season to roll the dice with an inexperienced QB.  Now if we decide to go with JP later or soon, then this off season, the front office needs to go heavy into FA and get the best OLs they can find.  Especially in the interior positions.  Though I think Duke Preston will be fine as our new center.

If we go into next season with essentially the same O-line then I hope the old man knows enough to can our GM...

Charles

469075[/snapback]

That is how I see the JP benching. This is no 1 game "experiment". Now this begs the question, why did they (Bills braintrust) annoit JP the starter before training camp instead of having an open competition during t-camp/preseason with the best QB getting the starting job? I think the benching puts the coaching staff in a bad light. I think they have totally mismanaged this whole situation.

That is how I see the JP benching. This is no 1 game "experiment". Now this begs the question, why did they (Bills braintrust) annoit JP the starter before training camp instead of having an open competition during t-camp/preseason with the best QB getting the starting job? I think the benching puts the coaching staff in a bad light. I think they have totally mismanaged this whole situation.

469168[/snapback]

Agreed - but I think it's easy to be seduced by a young, new gunslinger in town. Plus there was all that preseason positive hype on the kid. How hard he worked, how sincere he was etc. etc. But when the bullets fly...To be fair to JP this administration has not made it on easy on him with the pathetic O-line. The guy that I thought was gonna be awful has been decent (Gandy), but the guys in the interior have been woeful. He can't even take a 3 step drop!!

C

It's too easy to blame Mike Mularkey & co. for this situation. Losman was given the starter's job in training camp so that he could be given as many snaps as possible. The hope was that at some point early in the season, Losman would start to look something like a guy who deserves to be a starter. So far, Losman hasn't even looked like someone who deserves to be a backup.

With players like London Fletcher, Sam Adams, and Lawyer Milloy, the defense is built to win this year rather than next year. If Mularkey stuck with Losman, he'd bascially be writing off the rest of those guys' careers.

Sorry in advance for yet another JP/JH thread.

On an intellectual level I can understand starting KH this week.

only bills fans can start a thread about a QB controversy with the words, "on an intellectual level"

lol