Line Observations +

AKC

I had a chance to review the first half last night, I’ll try to get to the second half today.

Schobel played very well. Although his weakness has been defending runs in his face, he blows up two running plays in the first half and on one he gets under the OL’s pads, plants his feet and causes a tackle behind the LOS. On the other he slips his block and makes the tackle behind the LOS.

Jax success came more easily going the other way, and if they didn’t game plan it they found Chris Kelsay a much softer target to run at. In their third offensive series the Jags take 4 runs in a row over our left side, three right on top of Kelsay. The result is 4 straight successful runs leading to 2 first downs. After a pas play though Kelsay looks like he’s tired of getting slapped around and he penetrates a run and drops the back for a 2 or 3 yard loss.

Posey remains somewhat of a mystery; on one play he actually uses his arms to get off a TE block but on more plays than not he’s got “tentative” feet. And it’s his feet that it looks like he seems to be protecting. I don’t know if he’s ever had a leg injury and he favors it but my opinion after watching him in this game very closely is that he could use about a month in the tires to improve his chop steps- when there’s low traffic he seems to lose all his fundamentals and gets taken out of plays very easily.

Jonas Jennings has such a sweet slide that if he is able to stay healthy I expect a pure passing team will offer him big money this coming off-season. Few tackles in the NFL get that perfect lateral movement. That said, he’s not nearly as good in the running game as he tends to carry a little too much weight up high.

Teague has taken his versatile game from the pre-season to the regular season. You can see in Bledsoe’s body language out of the shotgun that he’s got confidence in the snaps coming from Trey. The team asks Teague to make a lot of second level blocks, many of them on the edge. They also don’t hesitate having him take one on one interior lineman assignments occasionally in the passing game.

Chris Villarial is awesome to watch in run blocking- He plays all play long and for linebackers on the second level loafing as a play draws down WATCH OUT because he’ll put the wood to anyone if he’s not engaged and the whistle hasn’t been blown. He is above average on the move and excellent in short range blocking due to his persistence. On one play in our third offensive series you see Travis bounce off the line and then advance for 7 yards- it’s not a broken tackle, it’s actually Travis hitting Villarial who is just WORKING his assignment who has no chance to make a play on Travis.

Right now LSmith is understandably the weak link on our Oline. On passing downs he’s getting help from Teague but he lets his assignment slip him even on run downs. His background considered he needs to be given time against the highest level of talent he’s ever played, but even today he’s an improvement over the previous starter. It will help this Oline big time when Teague can occasionally turn to Villarial’ side as Chris is not nearly as accomplished in the passing game as he is on run downs. Mixing up Teague’s attention will make it much tougher to set defensive line slots for teams playing us.

Big Mike either is still getting his wind together or he just doesn’t put out any more effort than he thinks he has to on most plays. He also looked like he either had his foot stepped on in the first half or he is nursing some type of toe nick.

Something we haven’t seen in a long time is a TE sealing an edge against a DE for a runner. Mark Campbell not only does this perfectly, he does it against DE Lionel Barnes who is definitely bigger than the 260 pounds they list him at on their roster.

QB pressures given up by Big Mike, Villarial and Smith.

Travis was stringing together brain farts on Sunday, first he misses a screen call by going to the wrong side of the field and on the very next play he blows his blocking assignment by letting his man straight through after getting his body between Jennings and Jenning's man. Maybe the fact that he gets knocked on his butt will help him to overcome the same mistake in the future.

Good post.

Mike Williams looks as if he just doesn't want to play at times.

Smith should keep on improving.... Teague has suprised all of us.

33681[/snapback]

Actually there were a few of us who took our lumps last season and off-season insisting Teague was primarily a victim of the undersized guy to his right last season and that a change of offensive strategy could make him a very positive contributor.

One thing I forgot to mention is a guy I've had nothing good to say about in the uniform of Ron Edwards is playing an important, and often effective, role in this defense. He showed exceptional power on some of the plays he was in, pushing a triple team back 2 or 3 yards at one time. If he can somehow become consistent with the fire to play in this league he could become a huge positive in spelling the two starters in the middle.

"Travis was stringing together brain farts on Sunday, first he misses a screen call by going to the wrong side of the field and on the very next play he blows his blocking assignment by letting hi8s man straight through and getting his body between Jonas and his man. Maybe the fact that he gets knocked on his butt will help him to overcome the same mistake in the future"

This has been a problem with Travis the last two years and he hasn't improved. IMO is one of the reasons why W. M. was drafted. Travis runs very hard and picks up a lot of yardage but it is a lot of little things that he doesn't do. He blanks out on play assignments and does not pick up blitzes at all. Willis is excelent at picking up blitzes and has better hands etc. I wonder if all of this is the real reason why Travis did not practice yesterday and was not listed at all on an injury report. Also in the 4 th quarter he did not play. You talknig about a guy who played last year with a broken leg and ribs ! Do you really think an ankle sprain- not listed on an injury report would keep him out in a 4 qt of a tight game???

There is a rumble comming very soon I think!!!!!

I read in the paper today that M Williams had a heal injury in first half.

33818[/snapback]

It was in the first quarter- he walks off the injury on his way back to the huddle with an evident hitch. All the minimalist play I saw from him came AFTER that so if the story from Sabre is true and he was fighting the urge to sit out I should allow that it would be a good explanation for some softer play after the injury.

Actually there were a few of us who took our lumps last season and off-season insisting Teague was primarily a victim of the undersized guy to his right last season and that a change of offensive strategy could make him a very positive contributor.

33792[/snapback]

Here, here. I'm a member of that club.

Good initial post. Apparently I'm not the only one who appreciates McGahee's superior blocking in the passing game. Travis is still an absolute witch at throwing himself into an already engaged player. That is fun to watch.

Great post AKC, as usual. Teague and Kelsay were 2 guys I noticed immediately this summer as players who obviously lived in the weight room the past several months and gained mass.

Lancaster Steve pointed out the same comments regarding Kelsay , during the game. They started running those sweeps to his side and he was getting tied up. Had some trouble shedding his blocks. Run away from his side and he comes flying to make tackles. Technique work is needed but he is improving.

Teague is the most improved player, by far. A question. If Jennings leaves, do we bounce Teague out to LT ? Easier to replace a Center. Thoughts ?

Great post AKC, as usual. Teague and Kelsay were 2 guys I noticed immediately this summer as players who obviously lived in the weight room the past several months and gained mass.

Lancaster Steve pointed out the same comments regarding Kelsay , during the game. They started running those sweeps to his side and he was getting tied up. Had some trouble shedding his blocks. Run away from his side and he comes flying to make tackles. Technique work is needed but he is improving.

Teague is the most improved player, by far. A question. If Jennings leaves, do we bounce Teague out to LT ? Easier to replace a Center. Thoughts ?

33914[/snapback]

Probably a little early to start the discussion on LT, to be honest.

I saw nothing from Kelsey that won't be fixed with experience. Dare I say, he reminds me of another white, high motor player?

Good post...but I have to confess, you lost me with the term "second level blocks".  Can someone 'splain it to me?

33862[/snapback]

Essentially, blocks further up the field than the line of scrimmage. Typically applied to LBs or DBs.

"Travis was stringing together brain farts on Sunday, first he misses a screen call by going to the wrong side of the field and on the very next play he blows his blocking assignment by letting hi8s man straight through and getting his body between Jonas and his man. Maybe the fact that he gets knocked on his butt will help him to overcome the same mistake in the future"

This has been a problem with Travis the last two years and he hasn't improved. IMO is one of the reasons why W. M. was drafted. Travis runs very hard and picks up a lot of yardage but it is a lot of little things that he doesn't do. He blanks out on play assignments and does not pick up blitzes at all. Willis is excelent at picking up blitzes and has better hands etc. I wonder if all of this is the real reason why Travis did not practice yesterday and was not listed at all on an injury report. Also in the 4 th quarter he did not play. You talknig about a guy who played last year with a broken leg and ribs ! Do you really think an ankle sprain- not listed on an injury report would keep him out in a 4 qt of a  tight game???

There is a rumble comming very soon I think!!!!!

33827[/snapback]

That is my feeling on this as well.....Travis is a warrior no doubt who delivers punishment and runs hard every play....his conditioning is never in question

But as much bashing I see on Tom Donahoe I am starting to see things possibly in the way he was thinking:

- Because of of Travis Henry's "I'm gonna run you over" mentality on every play I dont think he has a long shelf life in the NFL......he simply takes too many big hits on his small stubby (but all muscule) body.....on the other hand Willis Maghee has a much better biuld for the NFL pounding and even he doesn't always take everyone head on.....I loved the way he was squirting through holes in the last game and he is only going to get better.......

- Blitz pickup.....once again for Henry everything is head on while WM does it correctly and gets his guy on the ground so he cannot bat the pass down or get into a passing lane.....but the other aspect here is you see Henry just not being in the right position all the time...WM seems to have a knack for it

- Receiving outlet.....WM has "natural hands" while Travis doesn't...the other aspect here is that Henry is so short that he makes a difficult passing target I think....while WM is big and easier to locate

- And of course there is the fumbling issue....Travis is still putting it on the carpet.....WM has fumbled one so far..........

It was in the first quarter- he walks off the injury on his way back to the huddle with an evident hitch. All the minimalist play I saw from him came AFTER that so if the story from Sabre is true and he was fighting the urge to sit out I should allow that it would be a good explanation for some softer play after the injury.

33845[/snapback]

I was watching that, AKC. I'm not sure what it looked like on TV but at the game, MW was limping terribly. I immediately said out loud to ICE next to me that Williams "is hurt bad!". It really looked like he wasnt going to be able to play, but waved off help from the bench. The next play, again he hobbled during the play and limped horribly after the play was over. I really thought there was no way he could continue but he stayed in and didnt favor it nearly enough. But that guy got hurt in the game, no question.

I was watching that, AKC. I'm not sure what it looked like on TV but at the game, MW was limping terribly. I immediately said out loud to ICE next to me that Williams "is hurt bad!". It really looked like he wasnt going to be able to play, but waved off help from the bench. The next play, again he hobbled during the play and limped horribly after the play was over. I really thought there was no way he could continue but he stayed in and didnt favor it nearly enough. But that guy got hurt in the game, no question.

34056[/snapback]

You drew the seat next to Ice? - Got Lotto?

They caught a shot of him coming back to the huddle with a noticable hop to that foot, the coverage held on him for at least a couple seconds but I didn't notice it at game speed. It's very evident in replay.

BTW- the new Backer's club in Old Town is very nice- best wings of any place we've been so far (they've always had decent sauce, one requirement I had for coming there was for them to buy fresh chicken instead of the frozen crap they usually use) and the management will jump through hoops for us.

33914[/snapback]

My gut instincts say he'll be most valuable as he continues to improve his center skills. This year he's up faster from the snap, he hasn't had a bad shotgun snap yet, pre-season or reg that I've seen, and he's making our line calls and developing a knack for it if our performance against a very strong interior DLine is any indication.

I also don't know if he's really ready to take on some of the DEs he'd see every down at LT- he looks to be about 310 to me and it seems like most left tackles benefit from the down after down banging at that spot if they're in the mid 300s.