Just a hunch......

sven233

IF he guaranteed a ticket to winning a SB, I'd say ride it.

But that's about it.

467815[/snapback]

Well, that was kind of my rationale in getting rid of Drew....I'd rather do it right than keep farting around with mediocrity.....so I can see where you're coming from with the logic. I just want us to be in the mix again, I guess.....

Let me ask you this: Say holcomb starts and leads us to the playoffs. We get beat in the wild card. Do you consider this season a failure then? The NFL is about winning right now. It's not about rebuilding. You do what you have to do to win NOW. We've been rebuilding for six years it seems like. I want to see wins now, at any cost. I say screw JP Losman this year if holcomb is playing well and winning games. Thats an easy choice. If Holcomb sucks, and he might, then put JP back in.

467337[/snapback]

if this was the goal for the season, make the playoffs with a 1 and done, then we should have kept bledsoe...so you would take a WC loss this year and back to where we are right now next year when JP starts? Frankly, i am with JSP...JP's gotta be in there for better or worse so we see what we've got...

JP developing > mortgaging the future for a WC loss

Louie Armstrong = RJ

if this was the goal for the season, make the playoffs with a 1 and done, then we should have kept bledsoe...so you would take a WC loss this year and back to where we are right now next year when JP starts? Frankly, i am with JSP...JP's gotta be in there for better or worse so we see what we've got...

JP developing > mortgaging the future for a WC loss

Louie Armstrong = RJ

467830[/snapback]

Exactly.

Exactly.

467963[/snapback]

See, your senses have been dulled by years of losing in the playoffs and not making the playoffs. You fail to see that by sacrificing this season, you may develop a QB that can take you to the playoffs for the decade to come. But you're more worried about meaningless, even detrimental wins NOW so that your childish sense of immediate gratification can be fulfilled. It's the very definition of myopia.

This team will NEVER make the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb as the starter. You can take THAt to the bank, Louie.

See, your senses have been dulled by years of losing in the playoffs and not making the playoffs. You fail to see that by sacrificing this season, you may develop a QB that can take you to the playoffs for the decade to come. But you're more worried about meaningless, even detrimental wins NOW so that your childish sense of immediate gratification can be fulfilled. It's the very definition of myopia.

This team will NEVER make the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb as the starter. You can take THAt to the bank, Louie.

467973[/snapback]

Such an educated response, Joe. And such bold predictions, Miss Cleo. JP is a sure hit, right? There is a flip side to your stance on sacrificing this season, and that is what if JP doesnt pan out? What if he plays all of this year and some of next playing the way he has? I'll take the playoffs and respectability over re-building at any time. You're having trouble accepting the fact that JP is not starting. Its the very definition of denial. Kelly Holcomb is your starter this sunday, and you can take that to the bank.

You have got to be kidding me.

For a franchise that has not made the playoffs in this decade, a wild card playoff berth would be a failure? You are totally out of your mind.

YES.

Why? Because you didn't win a super bowl. Anything short of a SB is failure, so why fail with a 89-7 record and a lower draft pick?

This team needs all the talent it can get.

467798[/snapback]

You have got to be kidding me.

For a franchise that has not made the playoffs in this decade, a wild card playoff berth would be a failure?  You are totally out of your mind.

468073[/snapback]

No, I'm not.

I'm sick of thinking that 10-6 and a early WC exit is some kind of success. I'd rather have a team that sucks for five years and wins a SB in its 6th.

No, I'm not.

I'm sick of thinking that 10-6 and a early WC exit is some kind of success. I'd rather have a team that sucks for five years and wins a SB in its 6th.

468075[/snapback]

Right on brother. We've done that sh*t before. We know what 2nd best feels like. Enough skating through the park. We need results in the Big One.

The St. Louis Blues have made the playoffs for 26 straight years in the NHL, the longest current streak in any professional sport. Do they come to mind when you think of the best sports franchises? Or even the best NHL franchises? I'm sure their fans would welcome 1 Stanley Cup over all of those "great seasons" and "almosts."

You do what you have to do to win NOW. We've been rebuilding for six years it seems like. I want to see wins now, at any cost.

467337[/snapback]

And your definition of "winning now" means going to the playoffs for a single year and being one and done? Personally, I'd like to set the Bills up for an extended period in which they are contenders. That's never going to happen with Holcomb leading the Bills.

This is classic credit card mentality. The need for immediate gratification outweighs doing what everybody knows is in their better long-term interests.

That's what they said when Rob Johnson was here.

That's what they said when Todd Collins was here.

Playing for a draft pick and "development" in the NFL is the stupidest thing you can do. How do you know a high draft pick translates to a better player? You don't. We managed to get Mike Williams at #4 and Nate Clements at #23. You tell me who is more valuable to the team at this point.

In the NFL, if you have the opportunity (even the SLIGHTEST chance) to win now, you take it. I consider both the Giants and Bengals cases to be different for two reasons.

1. Their overall talent was at a lower level than that of the Bills this year.

2. Both QBs were picked #1 overall and were among the highest paid players at their position.

It is evident that Losman is not ready at this point. It is also evident that Holcomb or Matthews can better utilize the talent around them at this point. Until this team is out of it, they shouldplay to win. Bottom Line.

467973[/snapback]

And to what avail?

What POINT is there to winning 6 games rather than two, 8 games rather than 6?

There IS NONE!

Long term there is NO chance that Kelly Holcomb will lead this team anywhere. Period.

467321[/snapback]

We're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMED!

Playing for a draft pick and "development" in the NFL is the stupidest thing you can do.

468083[/snapback]

Nobody is saying that JP (or any young QB) is a sure thing, but if you don't have the patience to watch the kid grown THEN YOU DON'T DRAFT A QB EARLY IN THE DRAFT. Once the decision has been made to go with the young kid, you go with him.

Huh? :unsure:

What makes you think that going to the Wild Card this year means a sudden disappearance from contention next year? JP can learn a lot from sitting on the bench and watching Holcomb go about his business and lead the team to the playoffs. He'll learn from being surrounded by a winning culture for a change as opposed to years past.

A classic example of this is Daunte Culpepper. At one point in time, Denny Green had Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham and Culpepper on the roster and what did Culpepper do? He sat.. and watched as the Vikings came within a game of the Super Bowl. A few years later, he was one of the league's best.

It is possible folks.

And your definition of "winning now" means going to the playoffs for a single year and being one and done?  Personally, I'd like to set the Bills up for an extended period in which they are contenders.  That's never going to happen with Holcomb leading the Bills.

This is classic credit card mentality.  The need for immediate gratification outweighs doing what everybody knows is in their better long-term interests.

468082[/snapback]

And to what avail?

What POINT is there to winning 6 games rather than two, 8 games rather than 6?

There IS NONE!

Long term there is NO chance that Kelly Holcomb will lead this team anywhere. Period.

467321[/snapback]

But if the Bills win with Holcomb, it could be a job saver for MM.

Huh?  :unsure:

What makes you think that going to the Wild Card this year means a sudden disappearance from contention next year?  JP can learn a lot from sitting on the bench and watching Holcomb go about his business and lead the team to the playoffs. He'll learn from being surrounded by a winning culture for a change as opposed to years past.

A classic example of this is Daunte Culpepper. At one point in time, Denny Green had Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham and Culpepper on the roster and what did Culpepper do?  He sat.. and watched as the Vikings came within a game of the Super Bowl.  A few years later, he was one of the league's best.

It is possible folks.

468096[/snapback]

Anything is possible. However, history illustrates that a young QB generally needs a year of playing time before the game slows down for him. It's not going to happen on the sidelines so the odds are that JP will use next year to struggle (instead of this one).

Of course, the negative side of me tells me that after 2-3 games next year people will want to put back in Holcomb and JP will be the first round QB that got a grand total of 7 starts in his career before being labled a "bust".