Banks quote on SI.com

Amstel

The current situation is better than Drew starting, the Bills missing the playoffs (like we've done the past 3 years with Drew) and having JP struggle next year.  Like it or not, at some point JP was going to get his chance and he (like just about all first time starters) was going to struggle, no matter how many years he had on the bench.

The way you propose has the Bills missing the playoffs for at least two years.  Though I’m assuming when it came time to bite the bullet next year and start JP you'd hedge again and want to stick it out with Drew because it "isn't his fault".  After years and years of this we'd eventually have a 70-year-old Bledsoe on the field who still hadn't gotten the Bills to the playoffs and there'd be a faction out there that still wanted to keep him over a young QB because they don't have the patience to watch him struggle.  After all, a veteran gives us a better shot at winning.    :lol:

465240[/snapback]

The Bills management did not do either DB or JP any favors by ignoring the problems that we have with the line.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills management did not do either DB or JP any favors by ignoring the problems that we have with the line.

465243[/snapback]

The line isn't playing well, that much is obvious. However, I still don't think the line is as bad as it's made out to be. An indecisive QB makes the line look much worse than it really is. Drew was indecisive and unable to make the quick reads and throws that solid QBs do that make their lines look much better. JP is also an indecisive QB (which isn't surprising at this stage of his career). The thinking on JP was his mobility would help this out, which was a falsehood. Once JP can make quick decisions and get rid of the ball there won't be many people bitching about the line.

great post... I totally agree... I didn't like having Bledsoe here at all... and wanted him gone as much as anyone else, but I didn't think he was all our problems either.  I'm very glad he went to Dallas and is doing well again... As for JP, I wanted him to have the chance to play this year, but was desperately hoping the Bills would do something with their OL before this year started.

464636[/snapback]

...DB is doing well again???...uhmmmm 4th and 4 for the game vs WASH he throws a 2 yarder to his WR. 1st and goal against the raiders to win game.Doesnt get it done. Uhmmmm Drew is playing exactly like Drew,,He wil complete some very nice passes when he has a ton of protection..and he will screw a LOT up. Lets see how happy Dallas fans are with him after they finish the season 8-8 or 7-9.

PS--I think Drew is a great guy and I hope he does better than I think he will.

...DB is doing well again???...uhmmmm 4th and 4 for the game vs WASH he throws a 2 yarder to his WR. 1st and goal against the raiders to win game.Doesnt get it done. Uhmmmm Drew is playing exactly like Drew,,He wil complete some very nice passes when he has a ton of protection..and he will screw a LOT up. Lets see how happy Dallas fans are with him after they finish the season 8-8 or 7-9.

PS--I think Drew is a great guy and I hope he does better than I think he will.

465307[/snapback]

We have been over this. Ask Parcells about those plays.

Actually, you should have heard Bill Parcells describe those plays. 

On the one running play, there was a blown blocking assignment.

On the fade, the receiver was covered and ran out of real estate.

On the fourth down play, the receiver should have caught it.  According to Parcells, it would have been a first down.

465122[/snapback]

Tuna's right, it's not Drew's fault. :)

;):lol::lol:

We have been over this.  Ask Parcells about those plays.

465315[/snapback]

I don't have to ask Parcells, I saw the game. On the fade Bledsoe didn't give his WR an opportunity to make a play (which is what the fade is all about). Every fade I've ever seen has good coverage, but the QB puts it up, gives his man a chance to make a play and he either makes it or doesn't. It's one of the easiest throws in the game and Bledsoe put it out of the endzone. Parcells can explain it any way he wants but the bottom line is Bledsoe didn’t put the ball where it needed to be.

As for the last play, yeah, whatever. That ball was thrown so low the guy had no shot at getting his hands under it to prevent it from hitting the turf. Even if he did catch it he was short of the first by at least half a yard (which isn't Bledsoe's fault, but it also illustrates how full of sh*t Parcells can be).

Every fade I've ever seen has good coverage, but the QB puts it up, gives his man a chance to make a play and he either makes it or doesn't.  It's one of the easiest throws in the game and Bledsoe put it out of the endzone.

465393[/snapback]

I remember a handful of years ago hearing some quarterback (Drew or Peyton) referring to it as something like "the gargage can throw" in that he used to practice it by putting a garbage can in the back corner of the endzone, get under center at the ten or 15 or whatever, and practice taking a three-step drop, and then trying to throw the ball into the garbage can. Put an arch on the ball and drop it in there.

Let the player go get it. Moss makes a living out of it. Moulds should have made a living out of it but he never truly had a quarterback who could throw that particular pass well. He did it maybe once with Drew...maybe twice that I can remember...and the rest of them sucked. Just like this past weekend.

It's too bad. I really wanted to see him succeed.

We have been over this.  Ask Parcells about those plays.

465315[/snapback]

Funny that you mention that.

NFL Replay analyzed the play, especially in light of Parcels' comments that Drew threw to the wrong guy and concluded that Parcels was wrong. Bledsoe could have thrown to Witten, but on the large frame replay, there was a lurking CB ready for the INT. The cast agreed that Drew made the right read (although he never looked left) but threw a garbage pass that gave his WR little chance to make the play.

Of course you can feel vindicated that the 1st year QB is making the same mistakes as the All Pro sitting behind an All-Pro line.

Funny that you mention that.

NFL Replay analyzed the play, especially in light of Parcels' comments that Drew threw to the wrong guy and concluded that Parcels was wrong.  Bledsoe could have thrown to Witten, but on the large frame replay, there was a lurking CB ready for the INT.  The cast agreed that Drew made the right read (although he never looked left) but threw a garbage pass that gave his WR little chance to make the play.

Of course you can feel vindicated that the 1st year QB is making the same mistakes as the All Pro sitting behind an All-Pro line.

465620[/snapback]

I would feel better if we started winning games and Bills management realized the real problems with this team.

I would feel better if we started winning games and Bills management realized the real problems with this team.

465649[/snapback]

Actually, that is a quaint notion that there is one set of "real problems" with this team. By what standards?

I could list a set of problems if the goal was to be a bruising running team. I could list another set if the goal was to be a high-flying passing team. Yet another set could be listed if we wanted a Bears/Ravens shut down defensive team...

There are many ways to win footballs games and depending how you want to do that - everyone is a problem in one of those scenarios.

Actually, that is a quaint notion that there is one set of "real problems" with this team.  By what standards?

I could list a set of problems if the goal was to be a bruising running team.  I could list another set if the goal was to be a high-flying passing team.  Yet another set could be listed if we wanted a Bears/Ravens shut down defensive team...

There are many ways to win footballs games and depending how you want to do that - everyone is a problem in one of those scenarios.

465660[/snapback]

Winning football games at the line of scrimmage is about as quaint as the Geneva Convention.

If we had a dominating o-line (as we did when we were going to those Super Bowls), our offense would be a lot more succesful (regardless of who our QB is). We did not do JP any favors by pretending that the problem with our o-line was simply the fault of his predecessor.