It ain't rocket surgery

nuklz2594

I am a 30 plus years Bills fan. I have been transplanted in Maine for many years. Football is not complicated. I have been reading other comments from various members on this site. We were built by "Donoshmoe" to be a smash mouth football team. We have essentially a rookie qb. His job should be to hand the ball off to a rb at least 35-40 times a game. That averages out to be about 8-10 hand offs per quarter. Last time I checked JP had zero incomplete handoffs. Look at the Steelers. Ben hands the ball off more than any other qb in the league. By running the ball and controlling the line of scrimmage you open the passing game. Ben is not asked to stand in the pocket and throw the ball 65 plus yards. He throws short and over the middle. The wr's job is to just catch the ball and try to break open a long run after the catch. Remember the Jim Kelly to Ander Reed connection? How many short passes and slants over the middle did he break for long gains and touchdowns. Eric Moulds can do this. Lee Evans can do this plus he is a burner to break one open for a touchdown at any time. Willis is a beast. He should be receiving handoffs at least 30 plus times per game. Our o-line is one of the biggest in the league. Any rb we have should gain positive yardage if the o-line just fell over. Look at the successful coaches in the league past and present. From Vince Lombardi to Parcells to Belichek---they have always been a smashmouth running team with a good defense. Elway didn't win the big one until Terrel Davis was running the ball. Troy Aikmann didn't do diddly until Emmitt Smith was drafted. Rememeber Joes Gibbs and his Super Bowl team. The o-line had the Hogs and a "little" rb named John Riggins.

The thing that astonishes me the most is that the head coach had Jerome Bettis with the Steelers. Willis is not much smaller and is faster. Mularkey needs to stop trying to win with the "sexy" plays. If MM tried this garbage in Pittsburgh Cowher would have B word slapped him. The Chargers pounded the Pats this past week. How did they do it? They ran the ball down their throats. The Chargers stayed with the run.

I am sure I will be blown off, run, or flamed. Until we actually start running the ball more than occassionally, we will not be a playoff caliber team. You can change coaches, schemes, the color of the uniforms, or any other stupid gimmick. We were built to do one thing. Line up and run block. This ain't rocket surgery. I am getting too old to keep saying wait until next year. I figured if the Red Sox could win it all, maybe the stars would be lined up for the Bills.

I love the title of this thread.  In fact, I think it should become TSW's official motto.  SDS could even sell a line of officially-licensed TSW apparel to help defray the server expense....

Should we take a poll??? :)

464537[/snapback]

Being a Bills fan, It isn't Rocket Surgery.

I have not been in upstate NY in over 15 years.  Grew up in Pittsford and frequented Thirsty's.  That place still there?  I miss wings the most.  Can't get good wings in Maine.

464597[/snapback]

Yeah, thirsty's is still there. It's still a crappy dive.

Yeah, thirsty's is still there. It's still a crappy dive.

464627[/snapback]

I never tire of telling how my Nazareth College buddies and I would always hit Thirsty's for happy hour and naturally get totally lit drinking those blue lemonade asskickers, but we could never figure out who should drive us home, so we'd each play the old videogame "Pole Position" and the one with the highest score would drive everyone home.

Come to think of it...a bunch of drunk guys playing Pole Position sounds a little gay, doesn't it? :)

Guest BackInDaDay
I never tire of telling how my Nazareth College buddies and I would always hit Thirsty's for happy hour and naturally get totally lit drinking those blue lemonade asskickers, but we could never figure out who should drive us home, so we'd each play the old videogame "Pole Position" and the one with the highest score would drive everyone home.

Come to think of it...a bunch of drunk guys playing Pole Position sounds a little gay, doesn't it? :)

464654[/snapback]

It also sounds like the participants may require 'rocket surgery'.