interesting stuff from lenny p's column today

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you seriously comparing our Front Seven to the Eagles?  Only Spikes and Adams would merit starting serious consideration when compared to their Philly defensive counterpart.

463543[/snapback]

No, I'm saying that a wise team drafts and builds STRONG front 7s.

They put whatever's left for the defense into the backfield.

???? lito sheppard and sheldon brown are probably the best cb tandem in the league!! plus they have one of the league's three best safeties in brian dawkins (harrison before he got hurt and reed are his only equals).

463542[/snapback]

Why is that? Could it be that they have a near-flawless front 7 playing in front of them?

I guarantee you put those guys on the Bills, they're not nearly what they are today.

Why is that? Could it be that they have a near-flawless front 7 playing in front of them?

I guarantee you put those guys on the Bills, they're not nearly what they are today.

463552[/snapback]

At the same time put Nate Clements on THAT team. It works both ways.

At the same time put Nate Clements on THAT team.  It works both ways.

463555[/snapback]

You just made my point for me. What's the point in throwing money after a guy who's rendered meaningless by the abysmal play of the defensive front? Why not fix the defensive front so that average CBs look like world-beaters?

No, I'm saying that a wise team drafts and builds STRONG front 7s.

They put whatever's left for the defense into the backfield.

463548[/snapback]

I agree, in principle, with what you're saying about building from the lines out...though there are a few positions on the field that are of equal importance: QB and CB. A very good CB can cut the field in half for your D and let a Safety slide over to help the other side more often. That's a huge benefit. A team needs a solid, fast, LB unit, but it can get by without a “stud” in the unit. It’s much more difficult to get by without a stud CB, he can cover a lot of deficiencies.

Of course, the question is, “is Clements a stud CB?” Before last year I would have said no, but he played as well as (if not better than) anybody in the league last year. I’m not ready to write him off after four games this year. I agree though, he sucked against the Saints.

You just made my point for me. What's the point in throwing money after a guy who's rendered meaningless by the abysmal play of the defensive front? Why not fix the defensive front so that average CBs look like world-beaters?

463557[/snapback]

Just think of the prospect of McGee being your top CB next year with the revolving door of Eric King/Kevin Thomas/Jabari Greer/Filmel Johnson on the other side.

463557[/snapback]

Because Philly's CBs aren't average.

Just think of the prospect of McGee being your top CB next year with the revolving door of Eric King/Kevin Thomas/Jabari Greer/Filmel Johnson on the other side.

463580[/snapback]

So you're saying the Bills should overpay a guy just because the alternatives are worse?

Read the previous posts. I'm saying spend the money otherwise spent on a guy who's going to be paid MORE than he's worth on the OL and DL.

463625[/snapback]

But right now you're comparing an actual player (Clements) to some arbitrary players that you think might help us more. It's not that simple, you have to see who's actually available, how much he costs and then make the comparison. Just saying, "the money can be spent more wisely" isn't really enough. I'm not for locking up Nate at any cost but I don't think resigning him should just be dismissed either.

So you're saying the Bills should overpay a guy just because the alternatives are worse?

463601[/snapback]

It depends on the guy and the alternatives.

Case in point: Jonas Jennings - Bills chose not to resign him to a huge salary, because the replacements weren't that far off in talent drop off. If Bills had Jonathan Ogden, they would resign him to a huge salary.