After four games:

Beerstm

JP is a young QB- he is going to make mistakes. Yes, I had hoped he would be the next Jim Kelly in his first year.. Chances are that isn't going to happen.

For the Bills to Win:

JP can not throw the game away- so far after four games, he has not been the reason the Bills have lost. So far so good!

The Bills need a running game: after four games.. we have a running game.. we just don't run enough. Makes little sense to me.... More Willis...especially on 3rd down.

The Defense needs to be dominate: the defense has let the team down. Today solid effort..except for 3rd down and crunch time. Why? I have no clue. Defense is not playing up to the potential.

Special Teams need to be special. Special teams are good.. but not special.

Here is the analysis: Without a run first offense, and Solid play from the defense and some great special teams play, this team will struggle. They will not beat playoff teams and will struggle against good teams.

Here is the Hope: JP is playing good enough to win. The defense can control a game, and the Special teams can be great! For some reason the Bills have just not put it together this season. I can happen.

This team needs to grow up and learn to win. Learn to come from behind. When that happens, this team can be great!

JP is a young QB- he is going to make mistakes.  Yes, I had hoped he would be the next Jim Kelly in his first year.. Chances are that isn't going to happen.

For the Bills to Win:

JP can not throw the game away- so far after four games, he has not been the reason the Bills have lost.  So far so good! 

The Bills need a running game:  after four games.. we have a running game.. we just don't run enough.  Makes little sense to me.... More Willis...especially on 3rd down.

The Defense needs to be dominate:  the defense has let the team down.  Today solid effort..except for 3rd down and crunch time.  Why?  I have no clue.  Defense is not playing up to the potential.

Special Teams need to be special.  Special teams are good.. but not special.

Here is the analysis:  Without a run first offense, and Solid play from the defense and some great special teams play, this team will struggle.  They will not beat playoff teams and will struggle against good teams.

Here is the Hope:  JP is playing good enough to win.  The defense can control a game, and the Special teams can be great!  For some reason the Bills have just not put it together this season.  I can happen. 

This team needs to grow up and learn to win.  Learn to come from behind.  When that happens, this team can be great!

462046[/snapback]

You don't run to win. You run to keep them honest, and to set up the pass.

We're running well. Instead of running more, we should be taking advantage of it by hitting the passes. This IMO is why we see more passing called in the second half, and this IMO is where JP needs to step up. He has the credible rb threat. If he is going to develop as a qb he needs at a minimum to learn to pass on a defense respecting the run, and until he can do this we will go nowhere.

(I'm not putting it all on him vice the OL; merely differing with the conclusion that more running is called for.)

If the Bills can run and be a run first team then they will finish 6-10 or 7-9 at best. An NFL team MUST be able to pass effectively to win games and make the playoffs. The Bills cannot pass right now. Losman cannot pass effectively at this point in his career. Don't kid yourselves into thinking handing off to Willis 25 times a game is the cure all answer. You know on the road in the NFL teams will take that away. Philly came back on KC today because they can PASS the football. It's what wins games folks. I'd rather see JP get the passing experience now and lets suck it up and move on to next season. Maybe then he will turn into Eli.

You still need a passing game that keeps teams honest. The Bills don't have that right now. Every NFL defense can stop the run if you don't have to worry about the pass. Despite his struggles, I still think you have to stick with JP. And if veterans like Moulds B word about it, then send them walking.

If the Bills can run and be a run first team then they will finish 6-10 or 7-9 at best.  An NFL team MUST be able to pass effectively to win games and make the playoffs. The Bills cannot pass right now.  Losman cannot pass effectively at this point in his career.  Don't kid yourselves into thinking handing off to Willis 25 times a game is the cure all answer.  You know on the road in the NFL teams will take that away.  Philly came back on KC today because they can PASS the football.  It's what wins games folks.  I'd rather see JP get the passing experience now and lets suck it up and move on to next season.  Maybe then he will turn into Eli.

462058[/snapback]

Seems like the Bills offense is most effective when it runs to set up the pass, like the first drive today!

JP is a young QB- he is going to make mistakes.  Yes, I had hoped he would be the next Jim Kelly in his first year.. Chances are that isn't going to happen.

For the Bills to Win:

JP can not throw the game away- so far after four games, he has not been the reason the Bills have lost.  So far so good! 

The Bills need a running game:  after four games.. we have a running game.. we just don't run enough.  Makes little sense to me.... More Willis...especially on 3rd down.

The Defense needs to be dominate:  the defense has let the team down.  Today solid effort..except for 3rd down and crunch time.  Why?  I have no clue.  Defense is not playing up to the potential.

Special Teams need to be special.  Special teams are good.. but not special.

Here is the analysis:  Without a run first offense, and Solid play from the defense and some great special teams play, this team will struggle.  They will not beat playoff teams and will struggle against good teams.

Here is the Hope:  JP is playing good enough to win.  The defense can control a game, and the Special teams can be great!  For some reason the Bills have just not put it together this season.  I can happen. 

This team needs to grow up and learn to win.  Learn to come from behind.  When that happens, this team can be great! enough to win

462046[/snapback]

I thought they grew up last year..JP is NOT playing'good' enough to win.The d is nowhere near controlling a game.

462046[/snapback]

This D has cumbled in crunch time for years now. It's really nothing new.

This D has cumbled in crunch time for years now.  It's really nothing new.

462119[/snapback]

Last years vaunted #2 defense was actually #13 in stopping 3rd down conversions, something which shouldn't surprise us given the number of painfull late drives we gave up last year. So, yeah, we've been served the #2 cool-aid for a number of years now, but it doesn't mask the bitter taste of crunch-time mediocracy.

If I had to decide between which was the GREATER problem in this game, the play-calling or the play of our quarterbacks, it would be a tough choice. Both were bad but I really think in this game, Clements and Mularkey were terrible, and they put JP in terrible positions which made it much harder for him to succeed. You must run on first down when they havent stopped you the entire game. You must make the other team stop the run when you have proven to them you can run on them. THEN, you can use play-action, the kind of plays that the Bills poor pass blocking team can take advantage of a pass rush and succeed. One thing JP has shown, amongst few good things, is that he is very good with the ball. he hands off well, he runs play action well, he fakes well. It was UNCONSCIONABLE that every time Willis ran for a first down with a 10+ yard run that they called a pass play on the next play. That was brutal.

To me, JP had his third consecutive poor game, but you can see why he is going to be a good, probably very good, and possibly great quarterback in this league. He has incredible skills, he just needs the time. Another thing not always discussed in this was that he only played two years of college. That is why he was considered raw and inexperienced. Patrick Ramsey was ahead of him until he was a junior. and he only played two full years of college, on a ragtag team. He didn't have the experience even in college that Palmer or Manning or other guys did. He needs time. He's going to be really, really good.

Last years vaunted #2 defense was actually #13 in stopping 3rd down conversions,  something which shouldn't surprise us given the number of painfull late drives we gave up last year.  So, yeah,  we've been served the #2 cool-aid for a number of years now,  but it doesn't mask the bitter taste of crunch-time mediocracy.

462138[/snapback]

Yeah, that's remiscent of the Joe Pendry offense days. Wade would try to point out they were ranked high in yards per game while scoring was a totaly different matter.

If I had to decide between which was the GREATER problem in this game, the play-calling or the play of our quarterbacks, it would be a tough choice. Both were bad but I really think in this game, Clements and Mularkey were terrible, and they put JP in terrible positions which made it much harder for him to succeed. You must run on first down when they havent stopped you the entire game. You must make the other team stop the run when you have proven to them you can run on them. THEN, you can use play-action, the kind of plays that the Bills poor pass blocking team can take advantage of a pass rush and succeed. One thing JP has shown, amongst few good things, is that he is very good with the ball. he hands off well, he runs play action well, he fakes well. It was UNCONSCIONABLE that every time Willis ran for a first down with a 10+ yard run that they called a pass play on the next play. That was brutal.

To me, JP had his third consecutive poor game, but you can see why he is going to be a good, probably very good, and possibly great quarterback in this league. He has incredible skills, he just needs the time. Another thing not always discussed in this was that he only played two years of college. That is why he was considered raw and inexperienced. Patrick Ramsey was ahead of him until he was a junior. and he only played two full years of college, on a ragtag team. He didn't have the experience even in college that Palmer or Manning or other guys did. He needs time. He's going to be really, really good.

462173[/snapback]

Excellent post.. Very fair and balanced! I agree.. the problem is with the coaching and I do see light at the end of the tunnel.. JP has the ability to be great.... IF Buffalo and the coaches give him a chance