How Can This Be?

Casey D

This has to be wrong, people on this Board have stated that they have watched the game film and said the whole problem with the defense is Ron Edwards. What is this gap and lack of discipline nonsense. It has to be Edwards, right?

Bills' defense determined to rebound

Lack of discipline biggest problem say players, coaches

Sal Maiorana

Staff writer

(September 30, 2005) — ORCHARD PARK — It's not very often that you can say your run defense is going to be better with linebacker Takeo Spikes standing on the sidelines in street clothes with a crutch under each of his arms.

News flash, courtesy of Buffalo defensive coordinator Jerry Gray: Even though Spikes is out for the season thanks to a torn Achilles' tendon, Gray said Wednesday that the Bills' run defense will be better.

Now here's the punch line: It's not that the Bills are better off with Angelo Crowell playing for Spikes, it's just that they simply can't get any worse at defending the run, with or without Spikes.

"We're confident that by the end of the year, when you look at the stats, we won't be where we are now," Gray said.

Where they are right now is dead last in stopping the run, allowing an average of 174 yards per game through three weeks, a preposterous figure given the Bills' recent history.

In the last two games the Bills have allowed 191 and 236 rushing yards to Tampa Bay and Atlanta, respectively.

In the previous two seasons when the Bills finished No. 2 overall in total defense, Gray's defense allowed more than 190 yards on the ground just once — last year, when New England gained 208.

"To me it probably is humbling, and it gives you a chance to go up because you can't go anywhere else, so you have to go back up," said Gray.

What's perplexing about this sudden inability to stop opposing running backs is that the defense — before Spikes' injury Sunday — was largely unchanged. Ten of 11 starters were back, the lone exception being Ron Edwards taking over for free agent departee Pat Williams at tackle.

Williams was a fine player, but his absence isn't profound enough to create such a collapse. In fact, Gray pointed out that Edwards is actually playing pretty well.

Instead, the problem has been a lack of discipline throughout the defensive unit. What Gray and a number of his troops see on film are far too many examples of players taking themselves out of position by trying to do too much.

"We have to play what the defense is designed to do," middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "If you have the 'A' gap, then you take the 'A' gap. If you have the 'B' gap, take the 'B' gap.

"Every guy is responsible for a gap in this defense, so it's not a situation where it's ability or effort or anything like that. It's more discipline. We still remain confident because you know guys can get it done."

Gray is all for being aggressive, and he loves players who make plays from sideline to sideline. But the film does not lie, and he sees too many guys overextending themselves and working outside the confines of the scheme.

"I think that we've got such good players that guys want to make all the plays, and you've got to be good enough to say, 'This is not my play,'" he said.

"You've got to be disciplined enough to do your job and let the defense take over. If we were doing our jobs and getting slapped around I'd be worried. But we're not doing our job and it shows up when a guy runs through an open gap."

Defensive end Aaron Schobel sees Gray's point, but he also questioned some of the calls that are being made. Last week, for instance, the Bills blitzed on almost every play trying to get to Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick, and Schobel believes there was too much confusion.

"I think we're trying to do too much," Schobel said. "Too much game planning and everybody is not clear on what is going on and there's some miscommunication going on. If we simplify everything, I think we will be all right.

"People are out of place, I was out of place. It's not just one person.

"I think it's some people trying to do too much. It's little things that we need to correct. It's not like we're getting pushed around. It's not the talent. I think we'll be fine once we go back to the simple things."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you and what have you done with FFS' keyboard?

459734[/snapback]

Purposeful irony w/ FFS' uncharacterisitc overly simple post advocating the merits of simplifyling????? <_<

In fact, Gray pointed out that Edwards is actually playing pretty well.

459714[/snapback]

Because of course, our defensive coordinator would IMMEDIATELY identify in the media a DT who gets spun like a top in run defense as a courtesy to our upcoming opponents ;-)

Because of course, our defensive coordinator would IMMEDIATELY identify in the media a DT who gets spun like a top in run defense as a courtesy to our upcoming opponents ;-)

459800[/snapback]

Did you watch the ATL game? Because the "gap control" theory holds a heck of a lot more water than your "single bad player" theory in that game. Adams was out of his gap just as much as Ron was, as were the Lb's who are assigned to fill certain holes. In the Tampa game I will agree that it was clearly Edwards getting pushed around quite a bit.

Did you watch the ATL game? Because the "gap control" theory holds a heck of a lot more water than your "single bad player" theory in that game. Adams was out of his gap just as much as Ron was, as were the Lb's who are assigned to fill certain holes. In the Tampa game I will agree that it was clearly Edwards getting pushed around quite a bit.

459823[/snapback]

Adams has good balance, which makes him an effective interior player against the run, especially when he's playing with another DT with balance. Unfortunately Ron Edwards has poor balance and he's easy to move off the ball with a single blocker. Yeah, it's true Big Sam is seeing two full bodies on him this season because without his partner PW drawing doubles Sam will continue to get all the attetnion, but Edwards has the advantage of drawing a single blocker while somehow making it look as if our opponents are throwing 3 or 4 guys at him.

Adams has good balance, which makes him an effective interior player against the run, especially when he's playing with another DT with balance. Unfortunately Ron Edwards has poor balance and he's easy to move off the ball with a single blocker. Yeah, it's true Big Sam is seeing two full bodies on him this season because without his partner PW drawing doubles Sam will continue to get all the attetnion, but Edwards has the advantage of drawing a single blocker while somehow making it look as if our opponents are throwing 3 or 4 guys at him.

459827[/snapback]

I understand your concept here. What I'm asking is if you watched the game because that was not the issue vs. ATL. Most of the open cutback lanes were right over Sam's left shoulder if you look at the big gainers that happened. Also, when our LB's blitz they still have a gap assignment according to Gray. So it wasn't just the D-line either.

I understand your concept here. What I'm asking is if you watched the game because that was not the issue vs. ATL. Most of the open cutback lanes were right over Sam's left shoulder if you look at the big gainers that happened. Also, when our LB's blitz they still have a gap assignment according to Gray. So it wasn't just the D-line either.

459832[/snapback]

He doesn't need to watch the game--he has studied game film. He knows that Edwards is the problem, and anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant, or lying(in the case of Jerry Gray according to AKC). Get with the AKC program man--nothing is wrong with this defense except Edwards, he knows. Gap control, schmap control.

459832[/snapback]

I watched the game glancingly (check your PMs), and I didn't tape it. I did catch some early running plays over the spot Edwards had just been moved from.

He doesn't need to watch the game--he has studied game film.  He knows that Edwards is the problem, and anyone who says otherwise is simply ignorant, or lying(in the case of Jerry Gray according to AKC).  Get with the AKC program man--nothing is wrong with this defense except Edwards, he knows. Gap control, schmap control.

459847[/snapback]

You're welcome to hail the musings of Sal Maiorana as your primary source of "analysis", no need to insult those of us who have a little higher standards!

You're welcome to hail the musings of Sal Maiorana as your primary source of "analysis", some of us have a little higher standards!

459856[/snapback]

Try this one too from Allen Wilson of the News. And in terms of your "higher standards" I suspect these folks actually watched the games--as did I. The notion that you know more than everyone else by glancing at the game on TV is remarkably arrogant.

No matter what he does or how he plays, defensive tackle Ron Edwards will be held to the standards set by the man he replaced.

Pat Williams' name has popped up often since the Buffalo Bills' defense got run over by Tampa Bay and Atlanta. Edwards has yet to make anyone forget about Williams, who went to Minnesota via free agency.

Edwards had a solid effort in the season-opening win over Houston, but against Tampa Bay he had trouble getting off blocks and was knocked off the ball on several running plays. He played better last Sunday versus Atlanta, but it was hardly noticed as the Bills yielded 236 rushing yards in a 24-16 loss.

"You always try to get better and improve in everything you do," Edwards said. "I know I can play better. You just keep working at it and try to find a way to get better."

Actually, the Bills have no complaints about Edwards' play. Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray called the fifth-year veteran one of his steadiest performers.

The Bills still appear to miss Williams, who formed a dominant interior tandem with Pro Bowler Sam Adams. But the team says it's unfair to Edwards or anyone on defense to imply that Williams' absence is the sole reason they haven't stopped the run lately.

"I don't think bringing one person back will make a difference the way that we're playing," defensive end Chris Kelsay said.

The Bills' defensive woes have been a group effort. The unit has given up 522 yards rushing and ranks dead last in the NFL, allowing 174 yards per game.

The Bills have been victimized by opponents' zone blocking schemes, which call for offensive linemen to move laterally off the snap. When defenders over-commit to where the play is designed to go, the line can push them aside and running backs are able to find huge cutback lanes opposite the play side.

Many of the big runs by Tampa Bay's Carnell Williams and Atlanta's Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett were on cutbacks.

"We're not doing our job, and it shows up when a guy runs through an open gap," Gray said. "You can take a scout team guy and do that, so you know if a No. 1 draft pick sees that he's going to get 100 and some yards."

The Bills' defense hasn't played with much patience or discipline, Gray said, and players are getting caught out of position.

Gray said everyone needs to stop trying to do too much and focus on their own assignments.

"We've got one guy that's out of place, and it's not because he's doing it on purpose," he said. "It's just that you've got to be disciplined enough to do your job and let the defense take over."

The Bills' defensive line wasn't very stout against the run against Tampa Bay or Atlanta. The ends are losing outside containment and the tackles are clogging gaps. Gray has them slanting and stunting on a lot of plays, but if the linemen slant in the wrong direction it plays into the hands of a good zone-blocking team.

Defensive end Aaron Schobel spoke for a number of players when he said the defense needs to keep it simple.

"I like just lining up and playing our base front," Schobel said. "I think that's when we're at our best. I think right now we're trying to do too much and it's hurting us because of some communication breakdowns. It's always one guy. It's not always the same guy, but it is one guy that's out of position and the running backs are finding it. I think we'll be fine once we go back to the simple things."

Gray doesn't buy the notion that a simplified defense is a better one.

"You look at us, we've been doing the same thing for the last four years and we haven't changed," he said. "We've made some adjustments, but it goes back to guys trying to do too much. It's not too much within the call, I don't think. They're trying to do somebody else's job. Do only yours and you'll see the defense start climbing back to where it's supposed to be. We'll stop the run, we'll stop the pass and get off the field on third down."

Whatever the solution, the Bills have to find a way to stop the run. It won't be easy with linebacker Takeo Spikes out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon. Making it even tougher is all the top-shelf running backs they're going to face in the next several weeks, starting Sunday with New Orleans Saints two-time Pro Bowler Deuce McAllister.

But Gray promises what we have seen from the Bills' defense won't be what we'll get the rest of the season.

"If we were doing our jobs and getting slapped around I'd be worried," he said. "Our mistakes are self-inflicted. You've got to pick yourself up and say, "Hey, let me make only my plays,' and you'll see the defense step back up. We're confident that by the end of the year, when you look at the stats, we won't be where we are now."

e-mail: awilson@buffnews.com

He doesn't need to watch the game--he has studied game film. 

459847[/snapback]

Game film? Can I get "official" coach game films from the Bills Pro Shop or how about from Fezmid on DVD? When I watch the game back on tape, I have trouble seeing who is who, let alone what they are doing wrong. Game film is the answer! <_<

Try this one too from Allen Wilson of the News.  And in terms of your "higher standards" I suspect these folks actually watched the games--as did I.  The notion that you know more than everyone else by glancing at the game on TV is remarkably arrogant. 

No matter what he does or how he plays, defensive tackle Ron Edwards will be held to the standards set by the man he replaced.

Pat Williams' name has popped up often since the Buffalo Bills' defense got run over by Tampa Bay and Atlanta. Edwards has yet to make anyone forget about Williams, who went to Minnesota via free agency.

Edwards had a solid effort in the season-opening win over Houston, but against Tampa Bay he had trouble getting off blocks and was knocked off the ball on several running plays. He played better last Sunday versus Atlanta, but it was hardly noticed as the Bills yielded 236 rushing yards in a 24-16 loss.

"You always try to get better and improve in everything you do," Edwards said. "I know I can play better. You just keep working at it and try to find a way to get better."

Actually, the Bills have no complaints about Edwards' play. Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray called the fifth-year veteran one of his steadiest performers.

The Bills still appear to miss Williams, who formed a dominant interior tandem with Pro Bowler Sam Adams. But the team says it's unfair to Edwards or anyone on defense to imply that Williams' absence is the sole reason they haven't stopped the run lately.

"I don't think bringing one person back will make a difference the way that we're playing," defensive end Chris Kelsay said.

The Bills' defensive woes have been a group effort. The unit has given up 522 yards rushing and ranks dead last in the NFL, allowing 174 yards per game.

The Bills have been victimized by opponents' zone blocking schemes, which call for offensive linemen to move laterally off the snap. When defenders over-commit to where the play is designed to go, the line can push them aside and running backs are able to find huge cutback lanes opposite the play side.

Many of the big runs by Tampa Bay's Carnell Williams and Atlanta's Warrick Dunn and T.J. Duckett were on cutbacks.

"We're not doing our job, and it shows up when a guy runs through an open gap," Gray said. "You can take a scout team guy and do that, so you know if a No. 1 draft pick sees that he's going to get 100 and some yards."

The Bills' defense hasn't played with much patience or discipline, Gray said, and players are getting caught out of position.

Gray said everyone needs to stop trying to do too much and focus on their own assignments.

"We've got one guy that's out of place, and it's not because he's doing it on purpose," he said. "It's just that you've got to be disciplined enough to do your job and let the defense take over."

The Bills' defensive line wasn't very stout against the run against Tampa Bay or Atlanta. The ends are losing outside containment and the tackles are clogging gaps. Gray has them slanting and stunting on a lot of plays, but if the linemen slant in the wrong direction it plays into the hands of a good zone-blocking team.

Defensive end Aaron Schobel spoke for a number of players when he said the defense needs to keep it simple.

"I like just lining up and playing our base front," Schobel said. "I think that's when we're at our best. I think right now we're trying to do too much and it's hurting us because of some communication breakdowns. It's always one guy. It's not always the same guy, but it is one guy that's out of position and the running backs are finding it. I think we'll be fine once we go back to the simple things."

Gray doesn't buy the notion that a simplified defense is a better one.

"You look at us, we've been doing the same thing for the last four years and we haven't changed," he said. "We've made some adjustments, but it goes back to guys trying to do too much. It's not too much within the call, I don't think. They're trying to do somebody else's job. Do only yours and you'll see the defense start climbing back to where it's supposed to be. We'll stop the run, we'll stop the pass and get off the field on third down."

Whatever the solution, the Bills have to find a way to stop the run. It won't be easy with linebacker Takeo Spikes out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon. Making it even tougher is all the top-shelf running backs they're going to face in the next several weeks, starting Sunday with New Orleans Saints two-time Pro Bowler Deuce McAllister.

But Gray promises what we have seen from the Bills' defense won't be what we'll get the rest of the season.

"If we were doing our jobs and getting slapped around I'd be worried," he said. "Our mistakes are self-inflicted. You've got to pick yourself up and say, "Hey, let me make only my plays,' and you'll see the defense step back up. We're confident that by the end of the year, when you look at the stats, we won't be where we are now."

e-mail: awilson@buffnews.com

459869[/snapback]

no offense, but here's my translation of this piece:

ron edwards is being singled out for poor play. he has in fact played very poorly on occasion, but not on every occasion. while he has not made an actual play yet, he has at least held his ground and fulfilled his gap responsibility on a number of occasions. certain players interviewed refused to single their teammate (and linemate), knowing that this was taboo. so they gave the stock response -- everyone's doing something wrong, not just edwards. the coordinator, eager to avoid blame and champion his scheme, blamed players (no one in particular, though) for not following his scheme properly. also eager not to single out any one player, he said that once mistakes are corrected, it'll be clear sailing because the scheme, if followed, is a good one that has worked in the past.

no offense, but here's my translation of this piece:

ron edwards is being singled out for poor play. he has in fact played very poorly on occasion, but not on every occasion. while he has not made an actual play yet, he has at least held his ground and fulfilled his gap responsibility on a number of occasions. certain players interviewed refused to single their teammate (and linemate), knowing that this was taboo. so they gave the stock response -- everyone's doing something wrong, not just edwards. the coordinator, eager to avoid blame and champion his scheme, blamed players (no one in particular, though) for not following his scheme properly. also eager not to single out any one player, he said that once mistakes are corrected, it'll be clear sailing because the scheme, if followed, is a good one that has worked in the past.

459916[/snapback]

No offense taken. No one is arguing that Edwards is a great tackle. The issue is whether all, or most, of the poor play on defense can be attributed to Edwards. I think fairly read, while I agree that they would not single out Edwards(but the article does even more than not single out Edwards, it indicates that Gray says he has been steadier than most), the article tells us that there have been lots of defensive breakdowns, and that Edwards is not the primary reason that the run defense has been gashed--it has required lots of mistakes from lots of people on defense. That to me not only is a fair reading, it seems a fair assessment of what I have seen so far from the defense.