If not for Mo Lewis... who would be our QB

stevestojan

If it wasn't for Mo Lewis's hit on Bledsoe, one could assume he would still be the starting QB in NE. Brady would have never gotten a start. Would the pats have won any SBs? If yes, do you still think they would have won 3 out of 4? And who would be our QB right now? Bledsoe would have never gotten dealt to the Bills. Would we have drafted a QB-of-the-future years earlier?

Just something I was thinking about.

* and yes, I know "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle" or "if a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he hopped", I'm just trying to see what you guys think would have changed in NFL history if not for one hit.

If it wasn't for Mo Lewis's hit on Bledsoe, one could assume he would still be the starting QB in NE. Brady would have never gotten a start. Would the pats have won any SBs? If yes, do you still think they would have won 3 out of 4? And who would be our QB right now? Bledsoe would have never gotten dealt to the Bills. Would we have drafted a QB-of-the-future years earlier?

* and yes, I know "if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle" or "if a bullfrog had wings he wouldn't bump his ass when he hopped", I'm just trying to see what you guys think would have changed in NFL history if not for one hit.

459454[/snapback]

looking back at the draft the year that the Bills traded for Bledsoe...my gues is probably Patrick Ramsey.

I think the progression would have gone something like:

1) Jeff Blake

2) Drew Henson (I think we would have had more incentive to go after Henson if we had Blake as the starter than when we had Bledsoe)

459482[/snapback]

Drew Henson, he's really lighting it up in Dallas. How dumb of TD to not go after him more.

459454[/snapback]

I think we would have traded up for Joey Harrington, and the Patriots would not have won any Super Bowls if Bledsoe remained the starter. I do however think that Brady would have eventually surpassed Bledsoe. Given the Patriots coaching credentials, and odds Brady would see the field at one point (Injury, Preseason, Blow Out..ETC), his talent would have eventually shown.

Other thoughts to ponder.....

Big Ben would have most likely been our 1st round pick had Pittsburgh passed on him. If memory serves me right TD indicated this either directly or indirectly, and I also think he did it with Harrington.

I know I'm going way off subject now but the final kick in the nuts is the fact that we could have picked up Delhomme. I know we just traded for Bledsoe the year prior but I still can't get over the very attainable Delhomme. We make a super bowl run the past two years with a QB like that, and at the very least would make the playoffs.

459454[/snapback]

I think that the Patriots would not have won a Super Bowl in 2001 if not for the hit. They weren't that talented a team at that point and they had a lot of breaks (primarily they needed about seven games to go their way in the last two weeks of the season to get a bye and they all did). Bledsoe is never getting a ring as a starter - I believe that with all of my heart.

I still think that they would have won in 2003 and 2004, and that Brady would have been the QB. Belichick and Pioli have done the best job of any team in the league in terms of acquiring and coaching players, and I think it's impossible to imagine the Pats not winning two Super Bowls in that time considering how well they revamped the roster in their first three years (and they continue to do quite well with some productive rookies this year, although the Andre Davis trade is a clear loss now that he's been released).

459454[/snapback]

Tom Brady? :(

We wouldn't have traded for Bledsoe, but he would have been beaten out by Brady by the end of the 2002 season in New England. Since Bledsoe wouldn't have been available for 2002, we would have been left with AVP & possibly Jeff Blake as our QBs in 2002. Instead of 8-8, the record would have been anywhere from 2-14 to 6-10. That would have given us a high pick. If it was 2-14, we may have gotten Carson Palmer if Cincy beat us on a tie breaker for #1. Otherwisethe pick would have been Byron Leftwich.

The 2003 Draft Round 1 QBs were:

Carson Palmer, Southern California to Cincinnati

Byron Leftwich, Marshall to Jacksonville

Kyle Boller, California to Baltimore

Rex Grossman, Florida to Chicago

The Third Round QBs taken were:

Dave Ragone, Louisville by Houston

Chris Simms, Texas by Tampa Bay

The 4th Round QB was:

Seneca Wallace, Iowa State to Seattle

5th Round Pick:

Brian St. Pierre, Boston College to Pittsburgh

In the 6th Round, these were the picks:

Drew Henson, Michigan to Houston

Brooks Bollinger, Wisconsin to N.Y. Jets

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech to New England

The 7th Round Picks were:

Gibran Hamdan, Indiana by Washington

Ken Dorsey, Miami by San Francisco

Knowing how TD just loves to outsmart everyone, we would likely have been treated to a flurry of trading picks and ended up hearing Tagliabue saying, "In the first round with the third pick of the Draft, The Buffalo Bills select Ken Dorsey, Quarterback - Miami. Next up, Houston is on the clock."

Of course, I'm probably wrong on this. I could easily see him taking Brian St. Pierre in the 1st - just to keep that vast talent away from the hated Pussburg franchise.

looking back at the draft the year that the Bills traded for Bledsoe...my gues is probably Patrick Ramsey.

459465[/snapback]

The way Bledsoe was stinking up the joint that year, BB would have pulled him

out and might have tried Brady in and it still might ahve clicked......

Big Ben would have most likely been our 1st round pick had Pittsburgh passed on him.  If memory serves me right TD indicated this either directly or indirectly, and I also think he did it with Harrington.

459490[/snapback]

If Baltimore doesn't beat up the Steelers on the concluding week of the

season as they had already clinched a slot in the playoffs and had nothing

to play for then the steelers have one more win than us, giving us the

rights to Big Ben.....

But then I like our chaces with JP as much as with Big Ben....if the coaching

staff and the OL can help him out......Where is McNally hiding....He needs to

get these players to pass block for him.....