LOST 02.02 Discussion Thread

PTS

I was actually thinking that the people chasing Jin were the other survivors, and that the language barrier was enough for them to consider him a threat. But looking at the preview for next week, I don't think this is the case.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've been tossing that one around here at work all morning.  A number of possibilities exist, including your theory.  I personally believe that there has to be some sort of contact between the other survivors of Flight 815 and "The Others."  What is probably going on is that one by one, the other survivors are being captured (or worse) by "The Others."  The rest of the 815ers are constantly on the run.  I think that the people chasing Jin were members of "The Others," though it wouldn't be a stretch to think that perhaps some of the 815ers have become "Others."  How's that for confusing!?

459010[/snapback]

Not confusing at all as people will conform to their environment if it would allow them to continue to survive. As assuming when you said or worse you ment that some were killed/murdered or maybe even sacraficed. Of course in reading this week's TV Guide I happen to think that one of The Others we saw in the preview was infact not on flight 815 based on his description and their theory in where he falls on the show. Not to mention a hint that Co-creator Damon Lindelof left in the article. I won't share much more as don't want give out any spoilers.

We've been tossing that one around here at work all morning.  A number of possibilities exist, including your theory.  I personally believe that there has to be some sort of contact between the other survivors of Flight 815 and "The Others."  What is probably going on is that one by one, the other survivors are being captured (or worse) by "The Others."  The rest of the 815ers are constantly on the run.  I think that the people chasing Jin were members of "The Others," though it wouldn't be a stretch to think that perhaps some of the 815ers have become "Others."  How's that for confusing!?

459010[/snapback]

The only thing about the other 815 folks actually being "the OTHERS" is how did they get a boat, and why would they want Walt?

I got smacked for that one, Reminds to sit a little further from the sweetheart next time.

Anyways, I was out all morning in schools, and now that I'm back I can post what I've been dying to tell everyone since last night.

I think I know what's going on with the island.

And if I'm right, I'll be slightly dissapointed. Of course the way these writers work I'll be completely wrong. And if that's the case I'm quite alright with it and will further enjoy being wrong with theories.

Locke enters a code into a computer, a counter resets, and the cycle repeats itself for as long as the code can be entered. This reminds me of an episode of The Outer Limits I saw once. On the episode the Earth is attacked by aliens. In a last ditch survival move, the human put two people into a pod deep under ground. The sole job of these people is to survive, and to daily punch in a code that keeps the planet from nucleat annihilation. The thinking is that if all the humans die, and all hope is lost, the aliens will be destroyed too when no one punches the code in. Communication is kept, and the 2 people are told of the status of the war. In this particular episode the aliens find a way to mimic humans the 2 people end up being the last humans on Earth, but still continue to punch the code.

I think the island is similar. It's obviously got some high tech security system. Desmond is obviously the only one inside. He must have been told that there is an illness on the surface and that it will kill him if he stops taking the medication. He must continue to punch in the code to keep the island from exploding, and if he gets ill and dies, the island will self destruct keeping the illness from escaping any further. As another note, there's a distinct possibility that whatever it is that he is taking to prevent the illness might actually be keeping him in an unbalanced state. (The remedy is actually the poison.)

Oh, and is this the first time an episode has flashed back to an earlier event on the island?

Just my thoughts on an episode that didnt thrill me.

458844[/snapback]

hmmm, this idea sounds erriely familiar to me...i wonder who has posted this before?

hmmm, this idea sounds erriely familiar to me...i wonder who has posted this before?

459115[/snapback]

Before he starts crying, Ramius posted the timer idea before I did. Not like we all didn't think the same thing instantly. Now dry off those weepy eyes and go make sweet love to your Locke, oops. I mean Shannon Doll.

:devil:

That's right, I went there.

459010[/snapback]

I thought that some of the "other" 815 survivors might have contracted the illness that Desmond is so afraid of. Remember that Danielle warned Sayid to watch his fellow survivors and illuded to some type of madness that took over the members of her party when they contracted the illness before they died. Its possible that the Others have some type of immunity or can produce a vaccine from non-infected people. Maybe that's why they want Walt.

I'm starting to think now that the island might be a testing ground for a biological weapon, developed by the Dharma corporation for possible military use. The security system (including a shark) is intended to prevent the infected inhabitant's from leaving or finding the control center. Desmond could be an employee sent to make sure that the island's secret is not compromised and that no one escapes.

The doomsday clock would fit with this idea (if the center was captured by the infected inhabitants then it would blow up to prevent them from leaving the island) but 108 minutes is a very short amount of time for something so important.

Another great episode.

Before he starts crying, Ramius posted the timer idea before I did. Not like we all didn't think the same thing instantly. Now dry off those weepy eyes and go make sweet love to your Locke, oops. I mean Shannon Doll.

:devil:

That's right, I went there.

459139[/snapback]

I wasnt crying, i was sayin that you should read the entire thread...or maybe you didnt have enough time before your ham 'n cheese was done...

DING!

I wasnt crying, i was sayin that you should read the entire thread...or maybe you didnt have enough time before your ham 'n cheese was done...

DING!

459141[/snapback]

Geez! I did read the whole thread, I just wanted to post everything I thought, All I said was...

DING!

I thought that some of the "other" 815 survivors might have contracted the illness that Desmond is so afraid of.  Remember that Danielle warned Sayid to watch his fellow survivors and illuded to some type of madness that took over the members of her party when they contracted the illness before they died.  Its possible that the Others have some type of immunity or can produce a vaccine from non-infected people.  Maybe that's why they want Walt.

I'm starting to think now that the island might be a testing ground for a biological weapon, developed by the Dharma corporation for possible military use.  The security system (including a shark) is intended to prevent the infected inhabitant's from leaving or finding the control center.  Desmond could be an employee sent to make sure that the island's secret is not compromised and that no one escapes.

The doomsday clock would fit with this idea (if the center was captured by the infected inhabitants then it would blow up to prevent them from leaving the island) but 108 minutes is a very short amount of time for something so important. 

Another great episode.

459140[/snapback]

That's good stuff, of course. But just when we all think that this is all recent man-made, one should not forget the Blackrock. That boat is like 150 years old...how does that figure into things?

I was actually thinking that the people chasing Jin were the other survivors, and that the language barrier was enough for them to consider him a threat. But looking at the preview for next week, I don't think this is the case.

459021[/snapback]

<whoring myself>

Read my blog. You're right on. The previews are very deceiving and need close inspection to see the truth.

</whoring myself>

I thought that some of the "other" 815 survivors might have contracted the illness that Desmond is so afraid of.  Remember that Danielle warned Sayid to watch his fellow survivors and illuded to some type of madness that took over the members of her party when they contracted the illness before they died.  Its possible that the Others have some type of immunity or can produce a vaccine from non-infected people.  Maybe that's why they want Walt.

459140[/snapback]

What you can't really tell is what manner of "illness" was/is being talked about by Danielle, Desmond, et al. When Rousseau captured Sayid, I got the impression that it was more of a mental illness that caused her co-survivors to go crazy (basically, the classification that a lot of us were/are putting Locke in), so she was forced to shoot them. You're talking about a physical manifestation. Which would certainly fit in with Desmond injecting himself. Which one is it? And why would Danielle shoot someone just b/c they're sick? Do we go around shooting everyone with AIDS rationalizing that this will now make everyone who's not infected, safe? What kind of an illness is it? Which I'm assuming that no one here should be expected to have an answer to.