LOST 02.02 Discussion Thread

PTS

What you can't really tell is what manner of "illness" was/is being talked about by Danielle, Desmond, et al. When Rousseau captured Sayid, I got the impression that it was more of a mental illness that caused her co-survivors to go crazy (basically, the classification that a lot of us were/are putting Locke in), so she was forced to shoot them. You're talking about a physical manifestation. Which would certainly fit in with Desmond injecting himself. Which one is it? And why would Danielle shoot someone just b/c they're sick? Do we go around shooting everyone with AIDS rationalizing that this will now make everyone who's not infected, safe? What kind of an illness is it? Which I'm assuming that no one here should be expected to have an answer to.

459348[/snapback]

I still think that Clair started to get "sick" in episode 10 lest season and when "ethan" captured her he was not bad, rather he may have vaccinated her.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think that Clair started to get "sick" in episode 10 lest season and when "ethan" captured her he was not bad, rather he may have vaccinated her.

459530[/snapback]

Not sure about this one, cause I think he almost killed Charlie at the same time...

What you can't really tell is what manner of "illness" was/is being talked about by Danielle, Desmond, et al. When Rousseau captured Sayid, I got the impression that it was more of a mental illness that caused her co-survivors to go crazy (basically, the classification that a lot of us were/are putting Locke in), so she was forced to shoot them. You're talking about a physical manifestation. Which would certainly fit in with Desmond injecting himself. Which one is it? And why would Danielle shoot someone just b/c they're sick? Do we go around shooting everyone with AIDS rationalizing that this will now make everyone who's not infected, safe? What kind of an illness is it? Which I'm assuming that no one here should be expected to have an answer to.

459348[/snapback]

Just speculation based on the previews for next week:

If the members of Danielle's party became violent as part of the early stages of the illness, she may have needed to kill them to protect herself, her child or other not-yet-infected members. Besides, we don't know that she killed them all. She could have killed some, while others succumed to the illness.

Its also possible that if the illness is a biological weapon of some type, it might have been engineered to increase peoples' natural aggression levels, so the enemy would fight among themselves. We would kill someone who is sick in self-defense.

The reason I think this could be the case is my assuption that the black man in the previews is Rose's husband. Based on Rose's conversation with Jack, you get the impression that her husband is a good, even gentle, man. Why would he become aggressive towards Michael, Sawyer and Jin with no cause or imprison the girl that Jack met at the airport bar?

Again this theory has huge chunks of speculation in it. But that's the great part of this show... coming up with possible theories.

Duey... I'm not sure how the Black Rock would fit into this theory. Maybe it was salvaged by the Others or maybe it just shipwrecked there during a tide wave and isn't related to the hatch. I don't know.

I just had an interesting thought.

I was thinking about the illness, and how none of our survivors are sick. Assuming there is an actual illness, and the vaccinations that Desmond are taking actually do something, then perhaps the illness is inside the hatch. Which made me think that blowing the hatch was bad because it lets out the illness, and that in turn came back to Pandora's box.

That being said, I still think there is no illness, and the vaccinations are placebos.

Did anyone else notice that the shark only seemed to attack the raft when they were arguing or fighting. I can't remember exactly, but it seemed to me to be that way.

Also, the timer said 108, the numbers added together = 108, and, 108 was written on the wall that was down in the hatch area. This has got to have some significance.

Just some thoughts.

I know what's going to happen in the series finale of Lost.

After all the survivors have mentally gone insane, Desmond tells Jack there might be one way off the Island. He has to type in a certain code into the computer and when he presses execute, the timer is reset to say "PUNK'd" as Ashton Kutcher and his crew walk out of one of the locked closets in the hatch.

"Hey we're the passengers of Flight 815, and we just got Punk'd!"

<_<

Then in a weird twist Sawyer shoots Ashton to death and says "Who got punk'd now Demiboy?"

On the crate that Kate pushed out of the way it said legume (freeze frame) which is a French word for vegetable. I am curious whether there may be some French connection. I probably missed this but what is Rousseau's story about being on the island in the first place? Plane crash also? Her back story could be fascinating.

Also, I believe it may have been in a conversation between Michael and Sawyer that there was a reference to the possibility of another nearby island?

As for the henchmen that helped capture Walt, the leader sported the caveman look while the operator of the boat looked like he needed a chop but the two remaining men looked more tidy with shorter hair and relatively fresh shaves. Do these people also have a stash (razors and Apollo bars) such as like Desmond's or could they be fresh arrivals to the island or could they be regularly traveling to and from the island(s)?

It is interesting how both Kate and Jinn seemed adept at being able to escape from being bound. I realize that Locke was the one who roped Kate but it is funny nonetheless that both were able to escape. Desmond may not be very smart. He should have had Locke rope Kate, then rope Locke himself then check to see how secure Kate was. Desmond made me think of Clockwork Orange with his use of "my brother".

As for the shark, a previous post mentioned the shark possibly being an intended security device especially with the markings on the fin which made me wonder whether (in the story) the shark was mechanized. But when Michael shot the shark, blood splattered so who knows?

As for the sickness, maybe we have already seen symptoms as with Jack's hallucinations of his father and possibly Shannon's siting of Walt?

Enough for now! Good work everybody!!!

On the crate that Kate pushed out of the way it said legume (freeze frame) which is a French word for vegetable.  I am curious whether there may be some French connection. I probably missed this but what is Rousseau's story about being on the island in the first place?  Plane crash also?  Her back story could be fascinating.

Also, I believe it may have been in a conversation between Michael and Sawyer that there was a reference to the possibility of another nearby island? 

As for the henchmen that helped capture Walt, the leader sported the caveman look while the operator of the boat looked like he needed a chop but the two remaining men looked more tidy with shorter hair and relatively fresh shaves.  Do these people also have a stash (razors and Apollo bars) such as like Desmond's or could they be fresh arrivals to the island or could they be regularly traveling to and from the island(s)?

It is interesting how both Kate and Jinn seemed adept at being able to escape from being bound.  I realize that Locke was the one who roped Kate but it is funny nonetheless that both were able to escape.  Desmond may not be very smart.  He should have had Locke rope Kate, then rope Locke himself then check to see how secure Kate was.  Desmond made me think of Clockwork Orange with his use of "my brother".

As for the shark, a previous post mentioned the shark possibly being an intended security device especially with the markings on the fin which made me wonder whether (in the story) the shark was mechanized.  But when Michael shot the shark, blood splattered so who knows?

As for the sickness, maybe we have already seen symptoms as with Jack's hallucinations of his father and possibly Shannon's siting of Walt?

Enough for now!  Good work everybody!!!

459993[/snapback]

Kate got out of her bonds because locke slipped her the knife just after he tied her...

as for the French connection, were martin, perrault, and robert listed in the manifest of flight 815? <_<

as for the French connection, were martin, perrault, and robert listed in the manifest of flight 815?  <_<

459996[/snapback]

Possibly, along with Two Guys, Lafleur and Lapointe!

Biron and Dumont best stay where they're at...

Ok a few more thoughts (everyone hates mine because they get no response except for "its a long shot." Oh well):

1) What if Danielle's "scientific team" was suppossed to relieve the team in the hatch? But for what ever reason they never got there?

2) The painting inside the hatch not only had teh number 108 in it, but it also had pictures of a shark(s) and people with what I think is the word "help."

3) What if the guy in the mental instutution with Hurley was a former member of the team in the hatch or a survivor that got off the island? If I remember from season one, he was told the numbers by a friend who was in the military. Am I off on this?

Ok a few more thoughts (everyone hates mine because they get no response except for "its a long shot." Oh well):

1) What if Danielle's "scientific team" was suppossed to relieve the team in the hatch? But for what ever reason they never got there?

2) The painting inside the hatch not only had teh number 108 in it, but it also had pictures of a shark(s) and people with what I think is the word "help."

3) What if the guy in the mental instutution with Hurley was a former member of the team in the hatch or a survivor that got off the island? If I remember from season one, he was told the numbers by a friend who was in the military. Am I off on this?

460115[/snapback]

I can only comment on #1 - I think the timeline is off on that. If Danielle was on the Island for 16 years, she should pre-date Desmond.

Regarding #3, if someone could give us a recap of the Hurley episode and the relationship between the patient in the mental institution and the fella in Australia, I'd appreciate it.

I can only comment on #1 - I think the timeline is off on that.  If Danielle was on the Island for 16 years, she should pre-date Desmond.

Regarding #3, if someone could give us a recap of the Hurley episode and the relationship between the patient in the mental institution and the fella in Australia, I'd appreciate it.

460126[/snapback]

Brief recap from http://losttvshow.myblogsite.com/blog/_arc.../3/2/407290.htm

We also see that Hurley goes to a mental hospital to visit Lennard Sims. We see him repeating the numbers over and over agian, until Hurley talks about how he won the lottery with them, and the Lennard talks to Hurley he says that he has "opened the box" That he has to get away from the numbers, and that Sam Toomey herd them, that he lives in Kalgoolrie Australia. So Hurley goes to pay a visit to Sam, only to find out that he is dead, but Hurley talk's with Sam's wife, and she tells him that he worked for the US Navy, monitoring Low-Wave transmissions of the Pacific. She says that all he heard was statick, untill about 16 years ago, a voice comes through repeating those numbers.

Lennard's and Hurley's true relationship is still a question mark. Though Hurley has admitted to Jack he's been institutionalized I think it's a fair bet to say were at least mutual acquatainces of the institution.

found this on another site - interesting!

When Shannon sees Walt he appears to be saying something backwards. When the audio is played back it sounds like, "Push the button...don't. The button is bad." I can clearly tell that the first word is PUSH and not DON'T which some people claim. Now which button he is referring to if that is indeed what he is saying is most likely the one that jack almost pushes at the end of the episode. <http://www.nic.fi/~porola/lost/walt.wav>

audio link

http://www.nic.fi/~porola/lost/walt.wav

This was from the last post on the other LOST thread:

. After Kate stumbles and drops the flashlight as she is lowered in the well, she starts counting slowly - one... two... three... four... Wasn't there something in Season 1 about this?

Yes, in the first episode, when Jack is running around like crazy trying to save people he finally gets a "quiet" moment to check out a huge gaping wound in his right side. This is when he first meets Kate and he asks kate if "she ever patched a pair of jeans before." AFter Kate tenatively agreed she told Jack she was scared. Jack told her a story about one of his first spinal surgury. He was just finishing when he sliced open a pouch of nerves causing the nerves to spread all over like spagehetti. Jack then said, something like "I gave myself 5 seconds to feel the fear, to embrace it, to let it sink in. But after those five seconds I will not accept it anymore - one - two -three - four - five." (Not exact quote - just parapharasing).

found this on another site - interesting!

"When Shannon sees Walt he appears to be saying something backwards. When the audio is played back it sounds like, "Push the button...don't. The button is bad." I can clearly tell that the first word is PUSH and not DON'T which some people claim. Now which button he is referring to if that is indeed what he is saying is most likely the one that jack almost pushes at the end of the episode."

audio link

http://www.nic.fi/~porola/lost/walt.wav

460946[/snapback]

It still sounds to me more like what was posted in <this post> last week

T-minus 12 1/2 hours.

Can't believe this thread slipped off the front page. Would it be possible to pin it, anyone who's in the know on that? I would suggest combining the threads from the already-shown eps into one thread as "LOST - Season 2 Discussion ; for previously aired eps" then creating a new thread for 2.03.... Really. It's very discombobulated, and imagine in the current style what it's going to be like by episode 20.

SDS, you watch and read? Git-R-Done and there's a Jim Kelly autographed plaque for the TBD fund auction if I ever get up to a tailgate.

Ok, someone pointed something out to me thought was total crap, until she presented evidence. So I present to you, a new theory:

The opening to Man of Faith is not immediately before they blow the hatch as we always suspected, but is instead a scene from somewhere in the past.

The proof is in some inconsistencies with the background footage, some of which I can give to bad camera work, but there was one that made me think, and it has to do with the record player.

Man of Faith Man of Science

Adrift

To further complicate matters, there's also a difference in the equipment. Especially when you look at the reels on the recorder.

Side-by-Side

Ok, someone pointed something out to me thought was total crap, until she presented evidence. So I present to you, a new theory:

The opening to Man of Faith is not immediately before they blow the hatch as we always suspected, but is instead a scene from somewhere in the past.

The proof is in some inconsistencies with the background footage, some of which I can give to bad camera work, but there was one that made me think, and it has to do with the record player.

Adrift

To further complicate matters, there's also a difference in the equipment. Especially when you look at the reels on the recorder.

Side-by-Side

465891[/snapback]

:D

Doubtless it was not a mistake. Directors are generally very anal about their set and having it absolutely perfect. That goes doubly so for this show where every single little thing is important and has some purpose.

I had originally thought the lava lamps, etc. were just relics that Desmond and/or others had since they were more or less sealed in the hatch. The guy they opened the scene (and the season) with was not Desmond. Probably why they never showed his face.

Good find by her.

Anyone think that Leonard/Lenny or Sam or both were on duty in the hatch? All we know about Leonard is that he was stationed in the Pacific, which could mean a lot of things. Anyone think that the DHARMA patch might just be a weak front for a military outpost or listening post (I'm starting to think this is connected to the voices in the jungle)?

It probably doesn't hurt your theory that there is a pingpong paddle sitting on a chair in the image on the left which you think is actually a shot from the past. What use would table tennis equipment be to somebody who was all by himself?

Cya

Adrift

Side-by-Side

465891[/snapback]