Look, Mularkey is coaching McGahee

But hopefully it works. Just because McGahee is a great player does not mean he should be able to do what he wants without any input from his coach. Mularkey is tasked with motivating his players as he sees fit and making sure his plans are executed on Sundays. He apparently feels that Willis was not executing his plan and that a public call out is the way to motivate him. Maybe he's right. Apparently he is executing in practice, so why don't we wait until Sunday to pass judgement on Mularkey. As a Manager, you have to motivate different people in different ways. I for one am hoping this works.

But hopefully it works.  Just because McGahee is a great player does not mean he should be able to do what he wants without any input from his coach.  Mularkey is tasked with motivating his players as he sees fit and making sure his plans are executed on Sundays.  He apparently feels that Willis was not executing his plan and that a public call out is the way to motivate him.  Maybe he's right.  Apparently he is executing in practice, so why don't we wait until Sunday to pass judgement on Mularkey.  As a Manager, you have to motivate different people in different ways.  I for one am hoping this works.

450980[/snapback]

The comments he made (with which I disagree) should have been made privately or within the team. It did not show good judgment to make them publicly. The only reason that I can think of why he did it publicly was (as one reported intimated yesterday) that he wanted to deflect criticism away form someone else.

The comments he made (with which I disagree) should have been made privately or within the team.  It did not show good judgment to make them publicly.  The only reason that I can think of why he did it publicly was (as one reported intimated yesterday) that he wanted to deflect criticism away form someone else.

450990[/snapback]

The thing is, if a coach says nothing, fans and members of the media B word, saying they are not sharing information and it is our right to know. But if they do communicate honestly "we" say these things should be done behind closed doors. It's a no win situation.

The comments he made (with which I disagree) should have been made privately or within the team.  It did not show good judgment to make them publicly.  The only reason that I can think of why he did it publicly was (as one reported intimated yesterday) that he wanted to deflect criticism away form someone else.

450990[/snapback]

The reason I don't have a problem with it is that he already discussed it with Willis in private and is only saying what you, him, Willis, and I already know.

And it sounds like it worked, judging from the comments made about how hard Willis was hitting the holes in practice.

Mularkey was open about Willis missing OTA's. I think this might be an extension of that, i.e that Willis SHOULD have been with the team, building a rapport with his teammates. I don't know. All I care about is if it works and leads to better production/wins. Willis is a competitor and I don't see him sulking just to shove it back in someone's face, instead producing and shutting them up that way.

All the comments MM has made about WM strike me as pretty mild. It was obvious WM was not effective Sunday and regardless of why he was not hitting the holes successfully Sunday.

What the bid poop. All of this seems to be a media creation in terms of how critical these comments were or how big of a deal they were.

MM was not singling WM out as he faulted WM (correctly as should be obvious to all) but also said the OL bares its portion of the blame and even blamed himself and the coaches for not doing their jobs well enough on the offense.

Why folks feel MM is tagetting WM for harsh criticism when he flat-out benched JP is beyond me.

All of the comments where MM went out of his way to "call=out" WM seemed to actually be in response to questions about WM or the running game. In fact, if his comments did not center around what i see as mild comments then he would have been correctly labled as being a reincarnation of John Butler if he did not acknowledge the reality that WM sucked Sunday.

It amazes me that us fans seem to have our panties all up in a wad over this media and internet creation.

All the comments MM has made about WM strike me as pretty mild. It was obvious WM was not effective Sunday and regardless of why he was not hitting the holes successfully Sunday.

What the bid poop. All of this seems to be a media creation in terms of how critical these comments were or how big of a deal they were.

MM was not singling WM out as he faulted WM (correctly as should be obvious to all) but also said the OL bares its portion of the blame and even blamed himself and the coaches for not doing their jobs well enough on the offense.

Why folks feel MM is tagetting WM for harsh criticism when he flat-out benched JP is beyond me.

All of the comments where MM went out of his way to "call=out" WM seemed to actually be in response to questions about WM or the running game. In fact, if his comments did not center around what i see as mild comments then he would have been correctly labled as being a reincarnation of John Butler if he did not acknowledge the reality that WM sucked Sunday.

It amazes me that us fans seem to have our panties all up in a wad over this media and internet creation.

451012[/snapback]

Amen. Like I said. He's coaching.

451012[/snapback]

Great post.

451012[/snapback]

Now thats some real fat!

YARDS PER CARRY

Willis McGahee 4.3

Priest Holmes 3.9

LaDanian Tomlinson 3.3

Julius Jones 3.6

Tiki Barber 4.1

Curtis Martin 2.5

Duece McAllister 2.7

Cory Dillon 2.7

Ahman Green 4.0

Dominick Davis 3.7

Frankly, I'm not really worried about any of those guys either, with the possible exception of Curtis Martin because he's getting up there in years, and Dominick Davis because his team's offense kinda stinks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular

450990[/snapback]

What comments did Mularkey make about McGahee that were so inflamatory? I have listened to all the PC's from the last two weeks, and couldn't really hear anything all that bad. It really seems that a lot here are mistaking the media spin on Mularkey's comments to make them sound much worse than they actually were. What I heard Mularkey say was that no one, including the coaching staff, was exempt from criticism for last weeks debacle. So, he said that Willis needs to hit the hole quicker. So what! Anyone watching the game would have come to that conclusion. If Willis is as thin skinned as some of you seem to be assuming he is, we are in real trouble....

YARDS PER CARRY

Willis McGahee 4.3

Priest Holmes 3.9

LaDanian Tomlinson 3.3

Julius Jones 3.6

Tiki Barber 4.1

Curtis Martin 2.5

Duece McAllister 2.7

Cory Dillon 2.7

Ahman Green 4.0

Dominick Davis 3.7

Frankly, I'm not really worried about any of those guys either, with the possible exception of Curtis Martin because he's getting up there in years, and Dominick Davis because his team's offense kinda stinks.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular

451021[/snapback]

Good post.

This stuff doesn't worry me at all. Willis doesn't strike me as the type of guy who's gonna sulk and pout. I don't see someone working so hard to come back, and then just lie down when he truly has his shot. I also remember last year when Dick Vermeil told Larry Johnson "it's time to take off the diapers" and since then Larry Johnson has been an absolute beast. If Mularkey criticizing McGahee has that same type of effect I for one feel bad for any defense we face <_<

It's a motivational tactic to light a fire under a young player's_ass. Who cares? I think Mularkey, having been around his team every day for the past year, knows the right tactics to employ with each of his players.

Good leaders motivate their people in different ways... we will see if Mularkey's motivation has an impact this Sunday. Until then, I reserve my judgement.

450990[/snapback]

It's a motivational tactic to light a fire under a young player's_ass.  Who cares?  I think Mularkey, having been around his team every day for the past year, knows the right tactics to employ with each of his players.

Good leaders motivate their people in different ways... we will see if Mularkey's motivation has an impact this Sunday.  Until then, I reserve my judgement.

451040[/snapback]

True, but seriously, Mike Mularkey has only been living, breathing, playing and coaching in the NFL for less than three full decades. What does he know about motivating players? Get back to me when he's had like six decades and he knows something about it.

No matter how severe or mild the comments were what does it matter? These guys are high profile professionals that make obscene bank. Expect to get heat(if it's public so be it) if it is perceived you are underachieving. It's all up to WM how he deals with it. He should man up and kick some ass to change opinions about him.

The comments he made (with which I disagree) should have been made privately or within the team. It did not show good judgment to make them publicly. The only reason that I can think of why he did it publicly was (as one reported intimated yesterday) that he wanted to deflect criticism away form someone else.

i don't think you can paint every situation with the same brush. coaches do this a lot ... parcells made a living off of it and got away with it. the players seem to like malarkey. he's a straight shooter. it's easy for us on the outside looking in to say it was a bad move. but the players around mcgahee may, and probably did, see it the same way as malarkey and probably respected him for calling mcgahee out in public. mcgahee has not been the same player as he was last year... and since he's almost 3 years removed from his knee injury, the expectaions are higher than before. maybe he's gotten too comfortable. last year at this time he was trying to get playing time and had to work to get it. this year is different. he's the man and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder like henry did. the bills face a lot of 8 man fronts, so mcgahee is going to have to deal with it if he expects to be regarded in the upper echelon of the league. jamaal lewis deals with the 8 man fronts all the time and is succesful. the ravens have no passing game to speak of. mcgahee and the rest of the team need to "kick it up a notch". right now, the weight of this offense seems to be on the shoulders of jp, and it shouldn't. 9 of the other 10 guys on offense, mcgahee included, have had at least two or more years of nfl experience... so it's time they stepped up to the plate... especially mcgahee... he's supposed to be the big star, so show us the yardage.

we're talking about a guy whos knee nearly ripped off and was very close to never walking normally again, comes back and shows hes a great RB and now u guys r worried because he reacted negatively to the comment from his head coach???

we're fine

sometimes i think u guys just make up reasons to be worried