What exactly was the gameplan?

Simon

I wasn't sitting in meetings so I really don't know. But what tehy ran on the field was just awful.

What I saw of the game they spent the day running at the Bucs 2 good DT's instead of trying to pound it off-tackle at two DE's who have historically struggled to hold up against the rush.

To make matters worse, they appeared intent on throwing the ball to the outside right at those two great Tampa corners and their very good outside 'backers, instead of attacking the interior of the field where a Cover2 is vulnerable.

To these eyes it sure looked like the Bills offensive staff did an abysmal job this week.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't sitting in meetings so I really don't know. But what tehy ran on the field was just awful.

What I saw of the game they spent the day running at the Bucs 2 good DT's instead of trying to pound it off-tackle at two DE's who have historically struggled to hold up against the rush.

To make matters worse, they appeared intent on throwing the ball to the outside right at those two great Tampa corners and their very good outside 'backers, instead of attacking the interior of the field where a Cover2 is vulnerable.

To these eyes it sure looked like the Bills offensive staff did an abysmal job this week.

445009[/snapback]

I saw 9 defensive guys within 5 yards of the line all day. We did nothing to back them off.

445009[/snapback]

I agree. A TE down the middle would could have been a good idea.

That and our O line actually opening up some holes for Willis as opposed for TB's D.

445041[/snapback]

I thought there was some holes in the first half, before it got out of hand. WM was jus a little too slow hitting them (although Carnell Williams might done a good job of it...he's got a great first two steps).

445009[/snapback]

They used the dreaded vanilla offense attack against a top notch defense. No screens, no sprint roll-outs, no spreading the field. Play calling had a lot to do with the horrible offense today. Let's keep running up the middle and hope the defense gets the ball. Obviously didn't work. Let's try to win it against the Falcons and not play like a bunch of you-know-whats with the play calls.

I thought there was some holes in the first half, before it got out of hand.  WM was jus a little too slow hitting them (although Carnell Williams might done a good job of it...he's good a great first two steps).

445060[/snapback]

Man does CW ever have a great first two steps.

Simon , I saw it the same way as you. I was disturbed that they didn't test the middle in the passing game and just kept going with Outs and Hitches on the right side. There was little if any commitment to running the ball and you were observant to point out the lack of off tackle running. Much of the running came on delays and draws out of spread formations, which to me doesn't work very well vs. the Tampa Cover 2. The Bucs really didn't crowd the line nearly as much as I would have thought either.

Only a few times.  We needed to do a lot more and also be successful in trying.

445080[/snapback]

We needed to be successful, but we didn't even convert one. Usually just trying it will at least get the safties to back off a little. They just kept coming today and didn't back down.

In fact this game could have been a lot worse if their DB's and safeties could catch balls thrown right to them.

Again, I blame the coaches for this fiasco, but Losman suffers from Bledsoes problem of locking onto a receiver especially on the quick and timing routes.

In fact this game could have been a lot worse if their DB's and safeties  could catch balls thrown right to them. 

445093[/snapback]

In the preview, I listed Brooks/Barber/Kelly as all having the potential to take one back for six. What are the odds that all THREE of them would have the chance, and not convert ANY of them?

Plus, the safety probably would've been a sack/fumble/TD most any other time.

Plus, the safety probably would've been a sack/fumble/TD most any other time.

445139[/snapback]

IMO, the safety, (other than a 1st down and being out of the situation) was about the best possible outcome from that position. JP did NOT turn the ball over.