What exactly was the gameplan?

Simon

What I saw of the game they spent the day running at the Bucs 2 good DT's instead of trying to pound it off-tackle at two DE's who have historically struggled to hold up against the rush.

445009[/snapback]

On the few occasions they did run outside, the OL looked very slow to get to their blocks. I saw a couple of plays where the pursuing LB would just run inside of Gandy to either string the play out to the pursuit or to make the tackle.

And, in the 'What Was I Thinking?' department, I said last week that Big Bennie and Gandy would be better suited in a drive blocking scheme. I saw both guys get manhandled and bull rushed on a few occasions. Once, I saw McFarland practically toss Bennie backwards to get a shot on Losman. Ugh! Better luck next week, guys.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the few occasions they did run outside, the OL looked very slow to get to their blocks.  I saw a couple of plays where the pursuing LB would just run inside of Gandy to either string the play out to the pursuit or to make the tackle. 

And, in the 'What Was I Thinking?' department, I said last week that Big Bennie and Gandy would be better suited in a drive blocking scheme.  I saw both guys get manhandled and bull rushed on a few occasions.  Once, I saw McFarland practically toss Bennie backwards to get a shot on Losman.  Ugh!  Better luck next week, guys.

445980[/snapback]

But to be fair, Gandy with Campbell helping, handled Rice pretty well for most of the day. Of course we could have used a TE in pattern as there was several open spots underneath as Reed showed.

But to be fair, Gandy with Campbell helping, handled Rice pretty well for most of the day.  Of course we could have used a TE in pattern as there was several open spots underneath as Reed showed.

445981[/snapback]

And I'm sure Kiffin thought the Bills might double Rice, too. It's like Howie Long once said, "as long as I hear (one of my teammates' names) on the tackle, I feel like I've done my job." Because of the fact that our safety valve receiver, especially on hot routes (the TE) was in blocking most of the time, JP's options in the face of a pass rush were limited.

And I'm sure Kiffin thought the Bills might double Rice, too.  It's like Howie Long once said, "as long as I hear (one of my teammates' names) on the tackle, I feel like I've done my job."  Because of the fact that our safety valve receiver, especially on hot routes (the TE) was in blocking most of the time, JP's options in the face of a pass rush were limited.

445994[/snapback]

And we agree.