I had to put my cat to sleep today

HelloNewman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks...you have my condolences.  I miss my cats so much (and I'm a dog guy, at heart). 

I hear you re:dead cat jokes and such.  Not exactly mensa humor there.  But, as the K-Dog mentioned, don't take any of that personally.  This is a tough time to understand that sort of humor...but, that's all it is (at least for most people).

443049[/snapback]

hey you crazy bastard...when did you come out of hiding again?? :(

:(  :D

My wife and I owned a orange tiger cat that we adopted from an animal shelter 4 years ago as a kitten.  He was cute as a button....7 toes on each front foot...he looked like he had mittens on his front paws when he was a kitten...he was such a little knucklehead getting into everything and keeping us busy.....we loved him very much....He was an indoor cat who greeted us everytime we came home and always exposed his belly for a bellyrub when we walked in the door.

About a week ago he started getting really sick....the vet diagnosed him with liver problems and we dropped 500.00 to treat him....fluids...special food...pills...vet visits.  He was not responding and not eating and slept all day and did not move.  I came home today from work to find him drooling and foaming at the mouth from nausea.  I rushed him to the vet and he said the skin in his ears were yellow from jaundice and it was not getting better.  We had to euthanize him and I just got home from the vet about 1 hr ago and I feel awful......my wife took it very hard. 

I hope that anyone on this board who jokes about hurting cats and posting avatars with pictures of a gun to a kittens head with the words "DIE" across the top will think twice about how their actions affect others.  It is not funny at all and very immature.  Lets hope this does not happen to any of their pets because it is an awful feeling to have to put a pet to sleep from illness and watch their pet deteriorate.  Thanks for listening :D

442991[/snapback]

first...i am sorry you lost your pet...that is always a tough thing. but by any chance do you live in/near central PA? cause i have new addition to the family that is youngf and cute, but whom i am willing to part with.

what happened is this- i am home last sunday night, basking in the glory of the bills win, when i look in the mirror in my bedroom and see a freaking CAT wandering around my bedroom like it owns the place. never saw thing in my life! it is about a 6 month old female kitten. very cute, very friendly and very SKINNY(though healthy otherwise). apparently the thing has been wandering the neighborhood and found that one of my screens had and small hole in it. so she just moved in. without asking or anything.

so of course i, the sucker i am, go to the corner store for some kitten chow (i know...big mistake) and though i insist on feeding the thing outside, it is too hot to shut the windows and so the cat is in and out at will. and so it is...i have been adopted.

yes i could fix the screen. yes i could stop feeding it. yes i could punt it out the door. but....but...i can't... :(:D

so do you want a new cat???

I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your friend and family member. I had to have our 18 year old cat "Benson" put to sleep a couple years ago. It was the toughest thing I have ever been through. Honestly, when I lost my mom it was not as difficult because we had a chance to say our goodbyes. Our pets depend so much on our love and care and give us back so much joy that its almost impossible to just say goodbye to them. But, it is our responsibility to not let them suffer for our grief. You did the best you could and that is the right thing to do.

We got a couple of sisters from the same litter a few months later and now "Phoebe" and "Zoe" are the loves of our lives. I'm sure there will be a little kitten that needs you somewhere down the road.

Thank you for your kind words in your post and coming up with a solution. I live in Rochester, NY so I think that might be a far drive for me being how gas is 3.00/gal. However, the fact that she wandered into your place is no fluke....there is a reason for everything in life and this cat needs you....you bought it food and the cat adopted you so I think you should let it stay and be a new cat owner...you will not be sorry....they are very low maintainence....food...clean water....clean litterbox. Keep it for yourself...it will change your life.

There is a huge shelter here called Lollypop Farm which will have lots of cats/kittens to adopt and we will get a friend for my other cat soon but not right now....thanks for the offer.

first...i am sorry you lost your pet...that is always a tough thing.  but by any chance do you live in/near central PA?  cause i have new addition to the family that is youngf and cute, but whom i am willing to part with.

what happened is this- i am home last sunday night, basking in the glory of the bills win, when i look in the mirror in my bedroom and see a freaking CAT wandering around my bedroom like it owns the place.  never saw thing in my life!  it is about a 6 month old female kitten.  very cute, very friendly and very SKINNY(though healthy otherwise).  apparently the thing has been wandering the neighborhood and found that one of my screens had and small hole in it.  so she just moved in.  without asking or anything.

so of course i, the sucker i am, go to the corner store for some kitten chow (i know...big mistake) and though i insist on feeding the thing outside, it is too hot to shut the windows and so the cat is in and out at will.  and so it is...i have been adopted.

yes i could fix the screen.  yes i could stop feeding it.  yes i could punt it out the door.  but....but...i can't... :(  :(

so do you want a new cat???

443125[/snapback]

Sorry for your loss. We have 1 dog and 3 cats, all rescued.

We too have 1 dog and 3 cats.....The dog was a gift from a friend and the three cats were rescued from abandonment by my eldest daughter....1 from a dumpster in back of the restaurant where she worked....

HelloNewman >> Sorry to hear of your loss....Putting down a pet is always hard..We have done that 3 times with sick cats over the years...

About a week ago he started getting really sick....the vet diagnosed him with liver problems and we dropped 500.00 to treat him....fluids...special food...pills...vet visits.  He was not responding and not eating and slept all day and did not move.  I came home today from work to find him drooling and foaming at the mouth from nausea.  I rushed him to the vet and he said the skin in his ears were yellow from jaundice and it was not getting better.  We had to euthanize him and I just got home from the vet about 1 hr ago and I feel awful......my wife took it very hard. 

442991[/snapback]

That's a shame. I'm sorry you had to put your cat down. No jokes from me.

Sorry for your loss. My cat of 14 years died last year. Freakin sucked. After a few months, you'll move on and eventually be ready to welcome another pet into your home.

As for the cat jokes, everything can be a tasteless joke to someone at some point. If the world lived by that, there wouldn't be much laughter.

;) Sorry for your loss. My story...Back in 2003 we had to put our Phoebe down. A 6 year old black and white kitty that we rescued from the cold one February day in 97. She was the greatest cat, almost dog like. Greeted you at the door, slept with you, played fetch with bottle caps and straws. Any visitor to our house would have to endure her on their lap. One day she was diagnosed with cancer and put down the next. I cried as she let out her last soft meow and I took her home and buried her in my back yard.

You have my deep sympathy as well.

I have a cat who means an awful lot to me.

He has been freaked out for a couple weeks since a fat 4-foot rattlesnake visited our yard!

443213[/snapback]

He'll get over it once he figures out the rattlesnake could have left fatter.