LAMP: Was I just fired?

mcjeff215

I just got a "I think you might want to find something else, this isn't working for you. If you don't want to, I can't argue that, but we might have to make that decision for you if your not able to fit in with the group. You're not happy. This isn't what you expected. You need to make sure you're happy. You don't have to make up your mind now."

This place has screwed me pretty hard since I got here. I think the grace time is the VP's apology.

-Jeff

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a "I think you might want to find something else, this isn't working for you. If you don't want to, I can't argue that, but we might have to make that decision for you if your not able to fit in with the group. You're not happy. This isn't what you expected.  You need to make sure you're happy.  You don't have to make up your mind now."

This place has screwed me pretty hard since I got here. I think the grace time is the VP's apology.

-Jeff

433726[/snapback]

:blink:

Some guy I work with request a day off this week, got denied, called in sick and got fired. Makes me wonder if he would have been better off just calling in sick in the first place. Been here nine freaking years and they treat him like that...just not right.

But anyhow, yeah, I'd go with KD's advice. Doesn't sound good at all. But, at least there giving you a chance to get out so you can keep your name clean.

So, why ain't you happy???

And, I can tell you, if you ain't happy in GA., guaranteed you won't be in NYS. If you make a $50K salary now, for example, and move it to NYS, it's an automatic $10-12K cut in pay because of the COL here.

I just got a "I think you might want to find something else, this isn't working for you. If you don't want to, I can't argue that, but we might have to make that decision for you if your not able to fit in with the group. You're not happy. This isn't what you expected.  You need to make sure you're happy.  You don't have to make up your mind now."

-Jeff

433726[/snapback]

Ah, the classic "Not that we're firing you...but you're fired" tactic. Though the "You don't have to make up your mind now" twist is a new.

Actually, it sounds more like "We might fire you if you choose to stay...or not. We're not sure." Sounds like a pretty screwed up place.

hes telling you to find another job.

i think he wants you to quit, or resign, as to avoid unemployment payments.

i would be looking for a new job TODAY, but i would not quit. i woudl make them fire me, so i could collect unemployment, while i look for a new job.

but atleast he let you know where you stand in the company. :blink:

That's awesome. I got fired once, about 2 weeks before I was going to give my 2 weeks notice. It actually worked out great, I collected unemployment instead of just giving my resignation. And, I had an old boss who was promoted who I got along real well with (my newer boss was the one who fired me). So I still had a contact and a reference at the place. It worked out ok.

If they were treating you like dirt, I wouldn't be too torn up about it. It's a blow to the ego, definitely, but you can easily turn it into a positive.

Subtle. Man I should try that angle when I want to rid myself of someone. Pretty messed up way to do it really. Seems to open the company up for all forms of abuse by the empoyee. Theft, deliberate mistakes, general sabatoge. Not saying yourself would do that but some may especially if they are aholes and thought they had been wronged. Just would not let anyone know I was going to get rid of them and give them a chance to screw me. Either they are gone or not.

i think he wants you to quit, or resign, as to avoid unemployment payments.

433773[/snapback]

Bingo.

So stick it to him. Start looking for another job while you're still working there. Either you'll find something and be able to quit your job, or he'll have to fire you and then you can collect unemployment while you look for another job.

Yeah, I figured as much. It was a face to face conversation, scheduled via Exchange.

Guy told me that I've been screwed since I got here, but there comes a time in which, regardless of fault, it's not possible to repair the relationship. I'm welcome to try, but blah blah blah blah. There's more to it, as well. Not that it matters.

Anyone need a Unix guy in Atlanta? :blink:

Subtle. Man I should try that angle when I want to rid myself of someone.  Pretty messed up way to do it really. Seems to open the company up for all forms of abuse by the empoyee. Theft, deliberate mistakes, general sabatoge. Not saying yourself would do that but some may especially if they are aholes and thought they had been wronged. Just would not let anyone know I was going to get rid of them and give them a chance to screw me. Either they are gone or not.

433794[/snapback]

Also very true. D'ya think Jeff will be busting his ass for the company now? No, he'll be looking for another gig while on company time, and then he'll make the company pay for his unemployment. Not smart at all on the manager's part. Probably works on the dumber employees though.

That's awesome.  I got fired once, about 2 weeks before I was going to give my 2 weeks notice.  It actually worked out great, I collected unemployment instead of just giving my resignation.  And, I had an old boss who was promoted who I got along real well with (my newer boss was the one who fired me).  So I still had a contact and a reference at the place.  It worked out ok. 

If they were treating you like dirt, I wouldn't be too torn up about it.  It's a blow to the ego, definitely, but you can easily turn it into a positive.

433785[/snapback]

I'm not worked up, really. I saw this coming. I've been looking pretty hard for about a week now. Now that I've got it figured out, finding another job is the biotch!

Sounds to me like they are trying to be cool about it. They don't feel you are the right fit for the company and they are giving you a chance to look for something else without firing you. You boss just told you, "hey, look, we're gonna fire you... but we'll keep you on for a short time if you are serious about looking for another job.

Like KD & Mark said, you better polish your monster...

Shovel

Subtle. Man I should try that angle when I want to rid myself of someone.  Pretty messed up way to do it really. Seems to open the company up for all forms of abuse by the empoyee. Theft, deliberate mistakes, general sabatoge. Not saying yourself would do that but some may especially if they are aholes and thought they had been wronged. Just would not let anyone know I was going to get rid of them and give them a chance to screw me. Either they are gone or not.

433794[/snapback]

Yeah, that was my thought. I'm above petty crap like that. Well, I *do* plan to spend a lot of company time looking for a job, but I don't want to DAMAGE them. As much as it sucks, cordial, cordial, cordial.

You might consider sitting down sorting out for yourself exactly what the problem is you are having that has led to the comment of not fitting in. Have your thoughts and desires together as to what you believe you can do for this employer and if there has been a stumbling block be able to voice what it is and how you feel it could be resolved or ask advice on how it could.

I would suggest having a talk with the person who is in control of your situation imo :blink:

Actually, it sounds more like "We might fire you if you choose to stay...or not.  We're not sure."  Sounds like a pretty screwed up place.

433772[/snapback]

That is a twist on what my football coach in 9th grade told me, on final cut day. "You can stay if you like, but I can't gurantee you will get to play very much..." I stayed, got to play a little, and we went undefeated that year!!!!!!! I am glad I didn't quit!

Oh, yeah McJeff, sorry about the job thing...good luck! Is it possible they are saying they may not fire you, but you should think about quitting, to avoid unemployment responsibities? I know this tactic is common in lower paying jobs, not sure about others, never had one!

Good luck! :blink: